Author Topic: Maxton Bike Racers, Would you build 1 piece or 2 piece custom suit?  (Read 6625 times)

Offline Oldfart

• New folks
I'm having NJK build me a custom suit. Either a 1 piece or 2 piece with 360 zip. Which would you get if you were building another suit. It will be for Maxton & street. Thanks for any input.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Nancy and I both have 2-piece leathers, bought that way because I thought there'd be occasions when we'd want to wear only the jacket -- such as on the street or at a show/exposition.  We haven't yet done that.

The two-piece suits have the advantage of being a bit easier to use at the track -- wear the pant while you're pushing up in line, then don the jacket when you're three or four racers from the line.  A one-piece suit requires the wearer to, assuming he doesn't want the jacket part on him, shuck it off and tie it around his waist using the arms (or whatever method he might choose).  The flip side is that zipping the zipper on the two-piece set sometimes requires a helper, whereas a single-piece suit won't, unless the wearer is all sweaty and can't wriggle into the jacket part.

There are some pros and cons.  My answer to the problems we have getting into the two-piece outfits is dramatically lessened by our wearing special underwear (for us it's kevlar long-sleeve shirt and kevlar long pants by "Draggin' Jeans" company).  For others it's one of the various "cool suits" that are on the market.  Whichever -- the undies allow much better movement under the leather/liner, and that makes for more comfort while on the bike or off of it.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

racin jason

A one piece suit will never roll up your back as you slide along the pavement.
I would run a one piece unless i was thinking of running less than 200mph.
Kelsey at NJK is a great guy to deal with and he makes a great suit.
Get the pants to fit over your boots. theres .5 mph for free.

Super Kaz

I'm with RJ on this 1 :-D!They are Much Harder to put on without any help{dislocated my shoulder 1 time after along Hot Race} trying to get out by myself  :|!So Make sure the Zippers are Reachable or you have a Helper getting suited and unsuited 8-)How about a Link or phone # Mr. Mc Fasty as I need to get my suit Tuned up before the next meet!:evil:

Offline isiahstites

+1 I just picked up my suit the day prior to El Mirage for Kelsey at NJK. He knows his stuff when it comes to leather and I couldn't be happier with the suit, price and service.

Scott

Offline Oldfart

• New folks
Thanks everyone, looks like a 1 piece NJK for me. Plus a Bohn or Knox back protector.

Offline isiahstites

Get the stretch panel in the lower back as well.

Scott

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
I'm a believer in the one piece & the best thing I've ever seen is the double zipper on the chest. Makes it like a bib and easier to get in & out.
Here's a pic of Rich Yancy's with the double zipper.

Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
I'm a believer in the one piece & the best thing I've ever seen is the double zipper on the chest. Makes it like a bib and easier to get in & out.
Here's a pic of Rich Yancy's with the double zipper.

Deb

I admit that Rich's suit looks comfy however it is not SCTA legal and neither is Scott's in the picture..ECTA legal yes.

J

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Correct the perforations are legal with ECTA & not legal with SCTA, I was only trying to demonstrate the zippers!

:-P

Deb

Super Kaz

Re: Maxton Bike Racers, Would you build 1 piece or 2 piece custom suit?
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 01:12:57 AM »
Correct the perforations are legal with ECTA & not legal with SCTA, I was only trying to demonstrate the zippers!

:-P

Deb

Wow he's 3 of me :-o!Thats no off the rack suit is it?Funny story on How I got my Rossi suit :cry:! I had a BIG GET OFF and got to take my 1st Flight For Life Helocopter Ride :|I Told them to cut my suit off AT THE ZIPPERS{A Brand New Double Zipper/Bibbed front Dianese Motogp suit $2499.95} well somebody STOLE IT either at the track or the Hosbital aas I got all my gear INCLUDING MY DESTROYEYED HELMET {My ARIA RX7RR},but my Leather's were Gone :x!I could have had them re-stiched ,but Now Needed a new set of Leather's :-( ! My Broken Neck was Miracalouly Healed,and I resumed feeling of my hands and feet. I was ,and still Sponsored/Support by Cycle Gear USA,and purchase ALL MY Riding and Racing gear from them.Well Guess what Leather's were the Display Model 1 of 3 in the USA,and gues what THEY FIT :evil:! I didn't have to pay the full $2999.95+ since they were Helping a Racer out and No One else was Crazy enough or Small 44 euro size to buy them,and I wanted to get back to the track as soon a possible :wink:.Rossi is a Motorcycle Racing Hero to me and My day job{The Doctor fits} as I'm a Neuro Musclar therapist,and Exeresize trainer to many

Offline busa200

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 11:07:40 AM »
thats a good story, glad you recovered.
                 charlie

racin jason

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 12:37:02 PM »
Here you go Kaz:

NJK Leathers
Address: 1040 Calle Cordillera, Suite 101, San Clemente, CA 92673
Phone: (949) 481-3005

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 01:31:20 PM »
Going back a few posts, Scott Guthrie has a different set of leathers for Bonneville (than the ones shown in the photo, taken at Maxton).  Color scheme is different, too.  So are the boots.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 02:19:27 PM »
Going back a few posts, Scott Guthrie has a different set of leathers for Bonneville (than the ones shown in the photo, taken at Maxton).  Color scheme is different, too.  So are the boots.

If I remember correctly he has the reverse pattern for Bonnie? IE: Red on right sleeve for ECTA, red on left sleeve for SCTA. Hmmm... I wonder if he color coded for turn out direction?  :-D

Deb