Author Topic: Tig welds  (Read 3455 times)

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
Tig welds
« on: September 11, 2004, 11:33:00 PM »
I posted this question in another section, but got no bites. I was wondering about the welds that I have to do to my frame. Do I have to have it TIG welded, or could I use my stick, or Mig welder?
 I'm very confident with my stick welds on the trucks we use and some of those are still holding 50+ tons of weight years after I put them together. I have Mig welding capibilities but I only use that for thinner materials like body panels, and brackets.. I'm not confident that they would be suitible for load bearing pieces like frame rails.
  Any of you guys have any suggestions?
 Thanks...  Smitty

John Beckett

Re: Tig welds
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 08:26:00 PM »
I like TIG, and is my preferred choice. MIG is just fine on mild steel, but make sure you have good penetration. Never tired it but would think stick would be difficult on the tubing we use, and then there is the slag and splatter.

JB

John Bjorkman

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 10:21:00 PM »
Both MIG and Stick welding can be used on roll cage tube structures if the proper filler rod or stick eletrodes are used and the welder knows what he is doing. The penetration and strength of the weld is not controlled by which process used.
 John

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 01:58:00 PM »
I am not a welder by trade, but I know how to weld. Much of my frame member and roll cage were installed by "stick". This was done by boiler certified high pressure welders who definatly knew what they were doing. I would not hesitate to do it again. John is correct when he implies it's not the process it's the person. Just cause it's pretty doesn't mean it's good. Traditionally a good oxy/acetylene welder is invaluable also...Good Luck J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 01:24:00 PM »
Thanks for the help guys...
  I have no problem with stick, or mig welding but I'm not set up for tig. Tried to talk the boss into a tig welder, but no dice! I use a lot of oxy/acetylene here to shrink body panels my drivers mess up ( They can't go a day without running into something. )
 Thanks again... Smitty