Author Topic: ECTA Points system  (Read 12000 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: ECTA Points system
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 11:36:15 AM »
A passenger?  How about dozens if not hundreds?  If you have to ask -- it's obvious you've never been to Maxton to partake of the bugs.

Well, they're not that bad, really, except for the fire ants that enjoy crawling into your leathers and helmet if you're forgetful enough to leave them on the grass.  And there are some flying little gnats or something -- but it's not too bad, really.  Clean your windscreen every few runs and that's about it.  Except for that bird that Rich Yancy hit at 200+++ a couple of years back.  I guess his shoulder hurt for months.

As for human passengers -- unh, mmm, no, nobody rides monkey at Maxton, nobody has ridden monkey, likely nobody will ride monkey in the foreseeable future.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline willieworld

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 12:06:27 PM »
bob  very nice to meet you at el mirage   hope to see you again soon  --the e c t a  has the same rules as s c t a  with a few exceptions  --they also have a great website   www.ecta-lsr.com       willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

bak189

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 01:45:25 PM »
O.K. I get it more "wheel on a stick" records.......
Oh, well, ........................................................................

P.S.  My wife Linda saw the E-Mail and she takes exception to the term "monkey"..........Linda being a sidecar passenger for approx. 35 years in both
roadracing here in the U.S.A. and in Europe and LSR.............the term is "sidecar passenger" or as they sometime say in Europe "co-rider"..............
Sooner or later you people hopefully will learn what sidecars are all about...............I don't give up.
LOVE

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 02:16:44 PM »
..............As for human passengers -- unh, mmm, no, nobody rides monkey at Maxton, nobody has ridden monkey, likely nobody will ride monkey in the foreseeable future.....

........P.S.  My wife Linda saw the E-Mail and she takes exception to the term "monkey"..........Linda being a sidecar passenger for approx. 35 years in both
roadracing here in the U.S.A. and in Europe and LSR............

Jon, I think a dozen red roses might be in order  :lol:,

Sum

bak189

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 02:40:19 PM »
Thanks.....but no thanks.........no roses....we both have allergies.................................................................

But after all.......... it is the thought that counts....

Oh, I forgot to mention.....down under in the land of Oz.... a sidecar passenger is also at times call a "swinger"......don't you just love it..............

P.S. Willie< saw your sidecars a El Mirage...they look great.....best of luck this year....and get those points..................................................................

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2008, 05:02:23 PM »
Linda, I apologize if I offended you, but I know the the term "monkey" is used and has been used for quite a few years as the term referring to the sidecar passenger on a hack.  I've just taken a quick look around Google to make sure I'm correct -- and found quite a few references in "Hack'd" the magazine for and about sidecarists (as they proclaim).

So I'll try to remember to not use the term -- but you may be fighting an uphill battle to get the word completely out of the lexicon.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

bak189

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2008, 06:25:14 PM »
Hey, Jon....no problem.....we were only kidding...
we don't really care what they call us...................
as long as all racing sidecars use a monkey,
co-driver, swinger = passenger.............................
After all that is what a sidecar is all about
(in our way of thinking)  otherwise it is a solo-bike with a training wheel.......like for a 4 year old
when he is learning to ride a push-bike...........
Boy, that should offend all you LSR "sidecar"
racers........it kinds of offend me come to think of it......I had to race a "Wheel on a stick" with BNI from 1987 to 2002............But thanks to the BUB
Trials we can now race our outfit like a a real
sidecar...............End of this Sermon.........................

Offline willieworld

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2008, 06:40:53 PM »
bob willie here--would you please do me a big favor---you saw my sidecar bikes at el mirage what would i have to do to go from a "wheel on a stick" to a "real sidecar"   thank you willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

bak189

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2008, 06:58:10 PM »
Willie, weld up some hand-holds.........put in a passenger.........and go.....................................
With the platform size you have at the present time the passenger would have to ride in a kneeling position..............with a longer platform
the passenger could ride in a prone position......
But as we all know, passengers are only allowed
at the BUB..........SO for the BUB you would also need a fender to cover the top of the sidecar wheel.  However, per AMA/FIM one can also run a sidecar without a passenger but you would have to carry a minimum of 60kg (132lbsUS)
ballast (weight)  The "weight is also required for sidecar streamlners as most if not all are not built with a passenger in mind.
Sorry, we kind of high-jacked the ECTA point
questions.....................................................................

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2008, 07:21:37 PM »
Willie, weld up some hand-holds.........put in a passenger.........and go.....................................
With the platform size you have at the present time the passenger would have to ride in a kneeling position..............with a longer platform
the passenger could ride in a prone position......
But as we all know, passengers are only allowed
at the BUB..........SO for the BUB you would also need a fender to cover the top of the sidecar wheel.  However, per AMA/FIM one can also run a sidecar without a passenger but you would have to carry a minimum of 60kg (132lbsUS)
ballast (weight)  The "weight is also required for sidecar streamlners as most if not all are not built with a passenger in mind.
Sorry, we kind of high-jacked the ECTA point
questions.....................................................................
[/quote

Bob,

Just a quick question or two on your sidecar rig, since mine is Hayabusa powered with a turbo and ran 216, 212 and 209+mph at El Mirage, how fast do you think it would go on that long salt with a passenger?

Also what engine and combo were you running when you ran that 155 at the bubs meet?

J

Offline willieworld

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2008, 08:38:48 PM »
bob  i just did the math --my fastest pass was 141.296 mph (thats 227.486 kp /h ) with the 1000cc pushrod sidecar --the math tells me if i added 132 lbs. not counting aero--- i will still run 140.40 mph  so whats the big deal with weight ---no other lsr vehicle   that i know of can carry a passenger or has to weigh a mininum  so why pick on the sidecar guys--in scta the sidecar has to support the weight of a forward faceing kneeling 175 lb passenger totaly stupid--i just wonder what the car guys would say if they had to accomedate a passenger in a roadster and 3 passengers in a sedan --i dont think they would stand for something that stupid i just dont know why the bike guys do --maybe there is a sound reason for it but i cant figer out what it is ---and how about that stupid wheel cover the one that moves you half way across the track in a small side gust of wind -- stupid --stupid --when i cant even run a solid rim on the sidecar  or the front   --well i finally got that off my chest     willie buchta     
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2008, 09:04:18 PM »
The side car passenger was removed because of insurance many years ago.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2008, 09:58:05 PM »
Here we go!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Randy Williams

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2008, 12:40:46 PM »
What does MC sidecar stuff have to do with ECTA points?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2008, 12:47:15 PM »
If one was interested in gaining as many ECTA points as possible one should consider running a sidecar -- there are many "open" records available, and running on open records garners more points than besting an existing record.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com