Author Topic: ECTA Points system  (Read 11995 times)

Offline dr j

• Honda CRF250 & RS125 & 1954 Moto Parilla 175
ECTA Points system
« on: May 23, 2008, 03:52:55 PM »
I was at the May Meet to make my 1st runs with my new project bike (MG-250-4 with Honda CRSF250-J).  I had a great time and met a whole lot of great, friendly, enthusiastic people with some amazing projects of their own.  I managed to up the current record slightly which of course was a thrill.  In reviewing all the info and posts on this forum and the website updates (done in an insanely short period of time that made my head spin which is not safe from a musculoskeletal point of view but does happen in old movies) I finally figured out the ECTA points system.  <I know Jon that it was a slight run-on flight of ideas kind of thing> My initial confusion was that some people seemingly were being awarded more than the expected 100 points for breaking a record plus the 2pts/1mph above the record bonus.  I figured it was for running 2 classes but I did that too and the rulebook clearly states that only your highest single score for the meet is counted even if running other classes.  Then I saw the math answer is that the high points are for getting a huge bonus because of open records being considered 0.00 mph.  So if running an open class you get 2pts bonus for every mph you are going as they are all more than the 0.00.  But if no run has ever been made in that class there is no record, not a record of 0.00.  Doesn't it make more sense from a "what feels right" points reward to give whoever runs an open record the automatic 100 pts for setting a record, but no bonus since they haven't beaten anything?  Yes, I know it makes it tougher for the excel spreadsheet calculation people to not have a 0.00 there.  Just a thought from a newbies perspective.  Sometimes we say things that have already been beat to death 2 years ago, but sometimes we say things that lots of people are thinking to themselves.
Jarl- Moto Madcap
Sharpsburg MD
BUB2012- Morini 350- 4 Mod Pushrod records, Parilla 175- M-VG rec
250cc 4stroke Nitrous Motorcycle- 131.8mph
250/4 Naked Motorcycle-115.6mph
APS/F-125/2 115.2mph
P/PV-175/4 Moto Parilla-59.7mph
29 Retired Maxton Class Records on 3 bikes and 4 engines

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
Re: ECTA Points system
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 04:08:40 PM »
Congradulations on running your bike so well the first time out. Looking forward to seeing you run again.  The main thing is to go fast.And you do. Eric
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 04:27:23 PM »
It seems like the system in place works fine, whether you set a record above a minimum or a standing record that is where the points should be counted from.

John

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 11:15:57 AM »
The way to get to a points championship is to milk every record possible not by setting a record as high as possible so the next month you can come back and bump it and get more points. :-o

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 11:22:30 AM »
SAND BAGING :roll:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 11:40:23 AM »
Scott, with a gazillion open records you just move to the next open record. "After a few years" is long after our grandkids are dead.

El Mirage points are based from a competitive minimum on an open class. That makes the playing field level. If you want an open record, damn it, then build something competitive.

The concept of bumping the record a few miles an hour to win a championship, and there are a bunch doing it at El Mirage, is fine if you want that #1 points position, and does require that you set a record every time for those golden 25 bonus points.

The real racers are the ones that have a record far above all of the other speeds in that displacement class.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 05:21:25 PM »
We used to not give points on open classes which resulted in Sand Bagging. The sandbagging was getting obnoxious & blatent and slowing the meet down so we went ahead the next year & started awarding on the 0 speed figuring some day all the classes would have records. Minimums are a decent alternative but so far nobody has volunteered to submit them. Even without the zero classes & minimums the points is still not entirely all it could be but some of the smartest people I know couldn't come up with the right formula/percentage to keep things fair between the 50cc vehicles & the 3000cc vehicles. I'm a pretty clever chickie if I don't say so myself so if someone can come up with a way to do points that seems fair I'll bet you I can program it. We've discussed points for years now & still haven't come up with the "ideal" solution. Feel free to work on it & submit your suggestions to the powers that be at the ECTA though. I wouldn't mind hearing some brainstorming here even. (as long as you don't make any extra work for me then tweaking the formula! ;) )

Many of us that aren't all together thrilled with the points system just don't pay any attention to it. At the ECTA it gets your vehicle on the shirt, the rulebook & the poster the next year and a nice plaque but that's it. (I'm pretty sure the top speed vehicles get on the poster too) It doesn't effect when or how we run so you can just disregard it if it's not what you're about. That all being said, I do have a lot of respect for those that do play the points game. It's a lot of hard work. I know because I once supported a team in the race & trust me, they ran my butt off! I swear I'll never do that again! If I place well in the points at any given time you can bet it's all about me just running (and probably running well) every meet!  :-D

Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 11:51:56 AM »
So are the points given for the fastes speed of the meet ?Or the highest points of the meet?
I mean ,If I run in an open catagory and get 300 points for going 100 mph. Then change to a base class and run 200 mph where the record is 260.then I get 50 points .Witch run is counted toward the points?

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 05:47:59 PM »
Points are calculated on every single run you make. The run that nets the most points is the one that is used.

Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline willieworld

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 06:41:30 PM »
deb do you know the records for 500cc and 1000cc sidecar pushrod gas and fuel records  thanks  willie
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 07:00:34 PM »
Willie:

Maybe it's suppertime in Deb and Todd's house -- maybe that's why she hasn't responded.  I just went to the ECTA site and got this for you -- it looks like it's all of the ECTA sidecar records:

Vehicle   Class   Entry   Rider   Date   Speed
350 CC Pushrod Records
870   SC/PG-350/4   Garth Hill Racing   Garth Hill   May-06   90.157

650 CC NON-Pushrod Records
   SC/G-650/4   Siberian Speed Team   A. Cheek   Jun-01   102.506

650 CC Pushrod Records
   SC/PG-650/4   Siberian Speed Team   F. Cole   Apr-01   100.897
   SC/PF-650/4   Siberian Speed Team   F. Cole   Mar-02   100.671
   SC/PBG-650/4   Siberian Speed Team   G. Harris   Apr-01   88.845

1000 CC Pushrod Records
1133   SC/PG-1000/4   Calaguiro Bros. Racing   Christopher Calaguiro   Apr-06   98.752

1350 CC NON-Pushrod Records
699   SC/G-1350/4   Purpose Driven Racing   Tom Schaefer   Jun-07   167.227
699   SC/F-1350/4   Purpose Driven Racing   Tom Schaefer   Apr-08   152.829
699   SC/BG-1350/4   Purpose Driven Racing   Tom Schaefer   Sep-07   139.803

1650 CC NON-Pushrod Records
699   SC/G-1650/4   Purpose Driven Racing   Tom Schaefer   May-07   158.000
699   SC/F-1650/4   Purpose Driven Racing   Tom Schaefer   May-08   157.950
2000 CC NON-Pushrod Records
699   SC/G-2000/4   Purpose Driven Racing   Tom Schaefer   Jun-07   161.252

© Copyright 2007 ECTA :: All Rights Reserved
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 07:03:40 PM »
I guess I could have added that it appears there are a bunch of open records for the taking, Willie.  Tom Schaefer is the only racer running a sidecar bike out there now.  ECTA allows running in higher engine size classes, but only sidecars may run in sidecar classes.  When you're ready to pack up and head east with a bike or two -- let us know and we'll help with travel plans for you two.  The records are there for the taking, especially with your 500cc bike.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline willieworld

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 11:46:53 PM »
thanks jon  i dont think we will make it there this year --we are on a strict budget this year and with the price of gas and entry fees going up we will just make 6 races at el mirage and speedweek  --we have 2 bikes this year so all of the entry fees are double--you know --  see you on the salt though  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 08:41:48 AM »
Points are calculated on every single run you make. The run that nets the most points is the one that is used.

Deb
Thank you for cleering that up. I still don't know what to do . But I understand it all better.
Thanks and Congradulations on the 202

bak189

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 11:03:44 AM »
Slim,all those great ECTA sidecar records are with a passenger in the sidecar..........right?????