Should motorcycle engines be allowed in all car classes except production

absolutely
13 (31%)
all but vintage
18 (42.9%)
no
11 (26.2%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: moto roadsters  (Read 33474 times)

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
Re: moto roadsters
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2008, 02:42:12 PM »
Rich and All, :-D

Like I said in a previous post, I am not aware of the pricing of this stuff. However, if the French blocks are stronger or have proven to be more reliable, they should be allowed. Afterall both blocks (old and newer) can get the porting treatments so that removes any performance advantage. :lol: Personally I would be hard pressed to be able to afford the emotional pain of purchasing a French unit, but think that option should be available to those that would want to consider same. :|

In our part of the country it is possible to find some bike stuff that has low mileage cause some newbie has wadded the bike up allowing the purchaser opportunities that would otherwise not be affordable. :cry: :lol:

Regards to All,
HB2  :-)
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2008, 07:14:43 PM »
Harold,

I can only speak for myself, but part of the fun of building a Flathead Ford is knowing the limitations you have to start with. If you know 1953 was the last year they made Ford Flatheads and you build your own motor to the rules, you take the limitations of the motor into consideration, and build it accordingly.

Now once you have done all of this and spent an enormous amount of time and money, someone finds a stash of French Flathead blocks and or someone starts making aftermarket Flathead blocks and immediately wants them to be legal for the vintage class. What is so vintage about a French flathead block or an after market Ford Flathead block? Like I said to me part of the fun is building a better mouse trap with what you have, and knowing its limitiations, and also using a vintage block. But that is just the way I feel about it.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2008, 02:53:05 PM »
I've been out of town for the last week, so picking up this thread again has been interesting.

I like what Harold said about "innovation" being so important in LSR. I chose to build a Street Roadster with a SBC because that's the engine I'm most familiar with although when I first became involved the thought of cherry picking a class to set a record did occur to me.

Not to ruffle and feathers, but if someone can figure out how to make a MOTO engine work in a lower class Roadster, more power to them. Just because Roadsters are in the "Vintage" catagory doesn't make them sacred. If you want Vintage run XO, XXF, XXO, V4 or V4F.

Getting back to innovation. It is what makes LSR great. If you tighten up the rules too much you will get NASCAR where everything looks the same and runs the same and the make you drive depends on what decal you apply to the grill.

Tom
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 12:01:50 PM by 836dstr »

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2008, 04:38:13 PM »
"If you want Vintage run XO, XXF, XXO, V4 or V4F".

836dstr, well said.  I like the vintage iron thats why i am building a XO roadster. If you want to run a rickshaw motor in a roadster class and it fits the engine rules go for it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 04:45:45 PM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline fast man

• New folks
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2008, 04:09:42 PM »
MIKE I AGREE WITH YOU ITS TOTAL BULL! MOTORCYCLE ENGINES BELONG IN MOTOR CYCLES ROADSTERS SHOULD HAVE CAR MOTORS IN THEN KEEPING IN MIND THIS IS MY OPINION LIKE YOURS AND EVERY ONE ELSES.

Offline nobody

• New folks
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2008, 12:20:30 AM »
Mkilger you better worry about getting a roadster done before u call your self a roadster guy. o yea u are not worthy of that number your putting on the side of that car  :mrgreen:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2008, 09:06:53 AM »
now we've heard from 2 "one hit wonders"  :| You boys want to introduce yourselves or just make your 1 anonymous post so no one needs to put any value on your opinion...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline mkilger

« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2008, 12:17:53 AM »
Thanks stainless, who's that dude anyway , The roadster is in the shop on its wheels, and will be on the dirt later this year,and whats not worthy of 976 ?

Offline SPDRACR

« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2008, 12:52:41 AM »
Mike,You and I might not see eye to eye on small displacment engines , but I can't what to see the new roadster on the dirt,The pictures from last year were pretty neat.Hope the rest of the build goes to plan. See ya out their. Eric
salt is OK, but the DIRT is where it's at!
Proud 2nd generation Roadster Racer
Muroc 2 club, El Mirage 2 club, Now Bonneville 2 club,       All in a Roadster

Offline mkilger

« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2008, 10:30:04 AM »
thanks Eric, I have been working on it a bit, will get hot on it after fathers day weekend, sorry I (we)  started so much grap about the bike motors  but it needed to be asked I hope you understand, see you  soon  your dads been great about info about a roadster we are both fond of I know you know the one Iam talking about.

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2008, 01:15:30 AM »
now we've heard from 2 "one hit wonders"  :| You boys want to introduce yourselves or just make your 1 anonymous post so no one needs to put any value on your opinion...

Good call Stainless! Easy to toss in a chunk of meat when you don't have a dog in the pit.

Tom (not to condone dog fighting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)