Should motorcycle engines be allowed in all car classes except production

absolutely
13 (31%)
all but vintage
18 (42.9%)
no
11 (26.2%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: moto roadsters  (Read 33480 times)

Offline SPDRACR

Re: moto roadsters
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 03:55:43 PM »
Rich. Is special construction for the married couples or all of the above?  Eric
salt is OK, but the DIRT is where it's at!
Proud 2nd generation Roadster Racer
Muroc 2 club, El Mirage 2 club, Now Bonneville 2 club,       All in a Roadster

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 03:58:56 PM »
...................Except for Special construction of course....

Are you refering to  cars or the opposite gender  8-),

Sum

Offline SPDRACR

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 04:01:46 PM »
technology equals controversy.....maybe thats why flathead folks don't race heads up with the inline folks any more

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 04:13:55 PM »
To me it looks like the smallest engine you can run in Fuel/Gas Roadster is a G (93-123 cid) or H (62-92 cid).  Now how many guys are running a car motor (American made/designed) that size in the class now or in the last 15 years and what are they?  If I was picking a motor to run in those motor sizes in a car and wanted the most competitive motor I could find it wouldn't be a bike motor, it would be a car motor like John Romero is running.  Sure the bike motors are strong under 1500 CC, but look at what the car motors are making HP wise that run at the drags that can be built.

Since the bike motors only effect the lowest two motor sizes in the Roadster class I don't see much to worry about,

Sum

If you're running H class, it seems like a big worry.

Compare a stock 1.3L Hayabusa versus heavily worked 1.5L car engine, on an equal cost basis which has more power?

Most of the engines in that size have the engine mounted the wrong way for a roadster to boot, so have to do some work to make it happen.

IMHO, might as well start with the Honda F20 out of an S2000, or the Ecotech out of a Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstace and pay the piper ($$$) to de-stroke.  I suppose the Miata motor would work as well.

Far cheaper to buy the busa motor and mail order the kit to make it work in a RWD car.

I'm just thinking out load, and have no money on the table on this one.

Offline SPDRACR

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 04:27:47 PM »
The only mail order part on this roadster failed within the first 25' of letting out the clutch the first time. Ended up build our own output shaft adaptor thursday night before El Mirage. Might use a s2000 for "G" class, but you never know untill you do, that kinda sounds like Jack D.  Thanks to everyone  Eric

John Romero

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 05:54:11 PM »
I remember at last years rules meeting this was brought up (also the previous year  :-P) but it didn't really go anywhere. On one side of the room were traditionalists who didn't want bike engines in cars cuz it just aint natural and on the other side were those who said racing is racing and let the chips fall where they may. The stand off was broken when sample wording was bounced around and it proved impossible to nail down. Damn them honda 600 cars that came with modified m/c engines from the factory! :x

As Sumner said, I run an "H" in a car class and am not really concerned about a busa powered car running over me. If one did outrun me then it would be more a statement about me then about the busa. I think "I" engines and smaller do give a natural advantage to the bike engines, "H" would be a toss up and "G" class would go to the car engines.

A good blown "H" needs to make 500+ continuous, reliable HP at the wheels and thats pretty average for most busas and Honda car engines.
A good blown "G" needs to make 750+ continuous, reliable HP at the wheels and thats pretty much out of reach for a busa. At some point you are going to be blowing the cases apart but a reasonably well built K20 Honda can do that all day long with off the shelf parts.

Personally, I am a fan of innovation and loved seeing the busa engine in the back of the rear engined modified roadster. But I also understand that it does upset a few people. Too that I just say don't worry, they wont be running against a AA record anytime soon (or even an E, D, C, B or A for that matter).

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 07:01:04 PM »
A little off the subject, but still about small auto engines: At the 1/8 mile Antique Drags the guys @ Paradise VW were running a front engine VW dragster. Not sure of the displacement of the 50's-60's era VW 4 cylinder but it was running a huge turbo.

It set the track record @ 4.36 seconds at over 150 MPH. Again, that's in the 1/8 mile. Now that's impressive for a vintage VW.

Wonder how that would work in a light weight Roadster? Dare to be different!

Tom

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008, 07:14:52 PM »
It set the track record @ 4.36 seconds at over 150 MPH. Again, that's in the 1/8 mile. Now that's impressive for a vintage VW.

Tom

Probably short by about 15,000 ft...............

1/8 mile = 660 ft so 3 miles is tough............
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline desotoman

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2008, 07:41:02 PM »
Here is a motor for all you non traditionalists. I can see it now a drop dead gorgeous 32 Ford Roadster, with 4 expansion chambers out the back that sounds like, well I will let you use your imagination. Oh I know DKW had two stroke car motors. But lets get real, just because one or two existed or were made does that mean we need them in Vintage Car Classes? I think not.

Tom G.

4x4 TUFF 

Custom 2 Stroke Mod Engines

Drag Race Engine-Complete with Jack Shaft assembly.
160 Lbs, 485 HP - On c-12 4cyl 2000cc 470hp@8400RPM (carbs on race gas)
*nitrous will add an additional 30% more power!

H2. Four Cyl 2000 cc Drag Race Engine Complete CTSME12$11,400.00

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2008, 08:52:40 AM »
Nancy's in the bathroom and so is the '08 rulebook, so I don't have the latest word -- but the '04 book says that vehicles running as motorcycles must have a motorcycle engine in them.  So by that interpretation, no, you can't put a car engine in a bike -- a "Boss Hog" bike wouldn't be allowed to run, nor would a bike with a V8-60.

This rule was tested by the Bub #7 streamliner -- with a hand-built one-off engine.  While not being designed by a motorcycle manufacturer (i.e. OEM in somebody's bike), the motor was designed for a motorcycle -- the 'liner, so therefore is considered a bike engine.

Q. E. D.

Happy Memorial Day, folks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline GeneF

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2008, 11:12:02 AM »
A little off the subject, but still about small auto engines: At the 1/8 mile Antique Drags the guys @ Paradise VW were running a front engine VW dragster. Not sure of the displacement of the 50's-60's era VW 4 cylinder but it was running a huge turbo.

Tom

Nothing "vintage" or "vw" about that engine. In reality it's a horz. opposed 4 cyl. aftermarket race engine designed and made by either Autocraft or Pauter Machine with a price tag to match.

dwarner

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2008, 02:17:48 PM »
First off, cars other than streamliners and unlimited deisel trucks are the only classes allowing multiple engines. Therefore, we will not see more than one bike engine in a roadster.

I was not a big fan of Jack Dolan's suggestion 20 years ago that there needed to be engine classes below E in the Vintage Category. I just could not get my head around a 45ci engine in a Street Roadster. Now if Jack had at his disposal a Cosworth DBA4(?) that fit in a 1500cc class and had a couple of roadster chassis laying around ... you get the idea of how this stuff happens. Stll not a fan.

John R mentioned that the idea of no motorcycle engines in VINTAGE cars only was floated for two years and over ruled both times. The supporting stance being that this is racing. The suggestions were sent to club presidents before final board vote. Support of the ban did not happen. John N says it is a dual overhead cam engine, EFI, etc. and that is true. Orientation is wrong, but ...

It has come to this, Russ and Eric complied with the written rules and stepped on someone's ego. The G-I engine classes will race themselves, the points championship will fall to one of these engines for a few years and that is the way it is. For now.

DW

Offline desotoman

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2008, 03:35:51 PM »
I guess I am missing something. The rule book says it is OK to run motorcycle motors in car classes. But the rule book says you can't run car motors in motorcycle classes. Is this a one way street? Or would you call it discrimination? Shouldn't motorcycle rules be subject to the same scrutiny that are applied to car rules? Or what is good for the Goose is good for the Gander. One thing we need is consistency and I guess I just don't see that.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

John Romero

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2008, 04:53:59 PM »
Is this a one way street? Or would you call it discrimination?

Tom, since the car guys make the car rules are we guilty of discriminating against ourselves?

If so, I both confess and demand reparations  :-P

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2008, 05:07:18 PM »
Is this a one way street? Or would you call it discrimination?

Tom, since the car guys make the car rules are we guilty of discriminating against ourselves?

If so, I both confess and demand reparations  :-P

Thanks John   :lol: