Should motorcycle engines be allowed in all car classes except production

absolutely
13 (31%)
all but vintage
18 (42.9%)
no
11 (26.2%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: moto roadsters  (Read 33466 times)

Offline mkilger

moto roadsters
« on: May 23, 2008, 11:54:19 AM »
It looks like a few out there are putting bike motors in the fuel gas roadster class(not modified roadsters) which some think is ok  what do others think about this? it  seems that the  oldest class in the books that sould be valued with traditon and history is in jeperdy of  losing its traditon of being a real hotrod (hiboy roadster) whats next jet engines  AAAJFR  LOL   let us real roadster guys know what you think about bike motors in roadsters by the way we cant put a big block in a busa frame (can we???)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Hot rodding
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 12:40:20 PM »
It looks like a few out there are putting bike motors in the fuel gas roadster class(not modified roadsters) which some think is ok  what do others think about this? it  seems that the  oldest class in the books that sould be valued with traditon and history is in jeperdy of  losing its traditon of being a real hotrod (hiboy roadster) whats next jet engines  AAAJFR  LOL   let us real roadster guys know what you think about bike motors in roadsters by the way we cant put a big block in a busa frame (can we???)

It's not any different than sticking a bike engine in a gas lakester and from what I remember it is called "hot rodding" after all it is just a four valve dual overhead cam engine like others have used in the past and no one had an issue with that just look at the cover of the 2005 rulebook cover.

John

PS, if you need a Hayabusa frame for mocking up the big block in let me know and I can bring it to the next meet.

J

Offline mkilger

Re: moto roadsters
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 01:50:00 PM »
John, Iam right we cant put a chevy in a bike frame right?  but bring the frame I will build it and you can ride it  LOL am not riding it you bike guys are nuts. Any way what  we think is were will it end I understand that its hotrodding ect but will it come to the point were you can put two bike motors in a roadster (say two put together) we just want to try to keep the traditonal roadster with car engines in them  and not turn them into a gocart class

Offline desotoman

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 02:00:54 PM »
Mike,

I agree with you. IMO it is Bull---t that Motorcycle motors are allowed in the Vintage Car Classes. Why you ask? Unless I have missed something in the rule book, you cannot run a car motor in a SCTA motorcycle class, and why not?  I don't care about the lakester and Streamliner classes, run what you want. But the Vintage Car Classes should be reserved for motors that were designed to run in cars and not bikes.

SCTA Tradition is another subject all together. The more I see the more tradition goes out the window.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline DallasV

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 02:02:29 PM »
I don’t think putting a bike engine in a roadster puts the nostalgia of the class in question. 50 years ago if you chose to you could put a motorcycle engine in a roadster. But 50 years ago could you have used a DOHC, Aluminum big block and heads, with titanium parts, and fed it NOS through EFI. I guess the answer to you question lies on what your definition of tradition and history.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline SPDRACR

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 02:30:38 PM »
Now , Now , Guys and gals, I belive that way back whenthe assocation let you start building and running flat top lowboy roadsters, nostalgia pretty much went out the window. For that matter why do we have engine classes that are below the orginal model "A" engine ? Did anyone ever hot rod a roadster by putting a smaller than stock engine in their roadster? We did not write the rules we are just conforming to them.  Eric Eyres
salt is OK, but the DIRT is where it's at!
Proud 2nd generation Roadster Racer
Muroc 2 club, El Mirage 2 club, Now Bonneville 2 club,       All in a Roadster

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 02:37:44 PM »
Here's somethimg else to thow in the mix. Could a guy run a "Boss Hogg" bike in a production MC class? They come stock with 350 or 502 Chevy V8's.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline desotoman

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 02:39:17 PM »
50 years ago if you chose to you could put a motorcycle engine in a roadster.

You could be right as I don't have a rule book that goes back that far. But I do have a 1986 SCTA Rule book and here is what it reads:

SECTION II: GENERAL COMPETION REQUIREMENTS (AUTO)

ll-1.  Engines: Any aftermarket engine (Donovan, Milodon, Rodack, etc.) which can accept automotive production crankshafts, camshafts, and cylinder heads may be used in all classes except Production, Grand Touring, XF, XO, XX and V-4 classes. Any reciprocating engine which uses the Otto cycle may run in special construction category in classes A through K.

NOTE:In all categories except Streamliner. DOHC racing engines, not based on a regular passenger vehicle block, shall be advanced to the next larger displacement class.

I guess the question to ask is why did the rules get changed to where they are now?

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 02:39:39 PM »
To sanswer Eric, Yes. In the Golden Old days people did put V8 60 engines and Willys fours into roadsters to make it in what was "A" class at the time. So puting a Honda car engine in a roadster isn't so far off. A Honda motorcycle engine, however, is not in the "True Sprit" of the class. IMHO.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 03:06:03 PM »
Can they run up on two wheels
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline RichFox

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 03:22:42 PM »
Sometimes

Offline SPDRACR

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 03:29:41 PM »
Rich, did these folks from the golden old days, de stroke and install dual overhead cammed heads w/ electronic valve timming? It's all about finding and building an efficent engine and body combination. WE build a roadster that is 38ish inches tothe top of the cage,meets all of the SCTA rules. than found a engine,transmissiom,driveshaft,and rearend combo that we thought would be efficent. gave it a shot, If I remember correctly Doug Robinson told me years ago,"it's albout BTU's in and BTU's out,how thats done doesn't really matter" I do seem to know about TRUE SPIRT seems as I recall my roadster was out lawed after it's first trip to bonneville. even thuorh it met every rule written the rule book.  Just my thoughts  Eric

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 03:35:01 PM »
To me it looks like the smallest engine you can run in Fuel/Gas Roadster is a G (93-123 cid) or H (62-92 cid).  Now how many guys are running a car motor (American made/designed) that size in the class now or in the last 15 years and what are they?  If I was picking a motor to run in those motor sizes in a car and wanted the most competitive motor I could find it wouldn't be a bike motor, it would be a car motor like John Romero is running.  Sure the bike motors are strong under 1500 CC, but look at what the car motors are making HP wise that run at the drags that can be built.

Since the bike motors only effect the lowest two motor sizes in the Roadster class I don't see much to worry about,

Sum

Offline SPDRACR

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 03:50:39 PM »
Sumner, You are so worldly wise,not to many 400 C.I. motor cycles out there.
Thanks for the perspective  Eric

Offline RichFox

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 03:51:34 PM »
I well remember the "True Sprit" roadster. I think your dad knew it was going to be ruled against. Still it was fun for a while. I ran in "G" for a while. Plenty of two liter motors out there. George was running his Toyota in the 1500cc class at the same time. Those were good rules. I had a record. Don't know about electronic valve timing. I still run points and condenser. I just liked the old days when bikes were bikes, cars were cars and married people were of opposite gender. Except for Special construction of course.