Author Topic: Newb with ? on manual fuel line shutoff on bike  (Read 3433 times)

Offline Oldfart

• New folks
Newb with ? on manual fuel line shutoff on bike
« on: May 20, 2008, 09:11:31 PM »
Hey everyone, I'm doing my best to not be a pain in the butt newbie. I'm an experienced bike guy (43 years) but total newb to LSR racing. In reading the rule book I'm stumped how I would install a manual gas line shutoff reachable from the riding position on my bike (07 GSXR1000). It has a fuel pump & metal lines under the tank behind side panels. Everything is buried. Easy enough for a fuel pump shutoff but any ideas how to meet the requirement for a manual line shutoff? Secondly, the fireproof line covers for fuel. What are most of you using? If I'm reading your rule book right, I only need to safety wire my axles & it's ok to have antifreeze in the bike. Last question, how many runs do you get in a typical weekend? I see how you need to make increasingly faster runs for different speed ratings. I'm curious if it takes multiple meets to get the upper speed ratings ( probably a "B"?) my bike  should be capable of. Thanks, sorry if some of these are dumb questions, I've tried to read up as much as possible. A lot of the rules are very different from what I'm used to.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 09:51:24 PM by Oldfart »

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: Newb with ? on manual fuel line shutoff on bike
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 09:40:43 PM »
I'm quoting SCTA rules since I don't have an ECTA manual. The rules are similar.

If you are running gas you have to be able to reach it from a normal riding position meaning without looking reach down and be able to shut off the fuel.

If you are running fuel you have to do it without moving your hands off the bars. That means a cable to a fuel valve. It only has to be one way, pull to shut off. You can open it at the valve end before the run.

Fireproof covers are only needed for unvalved portions of the fuel line that would burn through in a fire, like a tank cross over tube. Everything past the valve can be rubber. Small fires happen, you just don't want the whole tank going up.

Needing to safety wire your axles and wiring things that might fall off are two different things. The transmission fill and drain plug are a good place to start. Look it over and imagine the items that you wouldn't want to leave on the course.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

racin jason

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 02:11:56 AM »
your stock kill switch acts as the fuel cut off. if you were to switch to an external pump fire sleeve the fuel line from the tank to the pump.
hope this helps

Super Kaz

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 08:42:38 AM »
your stock kill switch acts as the fuel cut off. if you were to switch to an external pump fire sleeve the fuel line from the tank to the pump.
hope this helps
Jason Mc Fasty,
OK Mr. Smarty Pants :?!
Thats a Great Tip 8-)!
NOW How do you get a V-rod to go 250mph :|?
Please Don't say by Pulling it by one of your Busa's :-P
I know,I know I should have bought a Busa :cry:
You and John always help everyone else get Faster.
What am I supposed to do :mrgreen:?
Thanks AGAIN for all the Love,
S/K........

P.S
 I'm JUST MAKING A JOKE and Love and Respect Jason Mc Fasty,and my Mentor John"The Worlds Fastest Mind/Mouth, and Motorcycles" Noonan
     More then I could ever admit! They are my LSR Hero's this Month.
     I just wanted to get into the record Books someday before I'm 100 :oops:.
     OR
     Can we Have a DOHC V-Twin class, No Push rods? Pretty Please with Sugar,and a Cherry on Top  :?!
P.S.S
  I Just want to race,but to earn a Red or Green 200mph Club Hat would be really,really, Cool!
  Hopefully Someday I will be as Fast as You too,and the Rest of the Turbo Busa Racer's...........
  Thank you Both for all the encouragement,and guidance you both are Great Role Models,and Ambassador's for Our Sport!

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 10:05:57 AM »
Jason Mc Fasty,and my Mentor John"The Worlds Fastest Mind/Mouth, and Motorcycles" Noonan

Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

racin jason

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 01:57:01 PM »
Kaz,

It's simple to make a Vrod go 250mph you will need to add another turbo engine to the one that is in your chassis. Two x 250hp engine should do the trick in a custom chassis.

If it's a Red Hat that you want. i would run in M-BF 1350 on the salt.the current record is 205mph. Your bike makes enough hp to run the number but you better hurry because i dont think that record will stay put past Tuesday at Speedweek. :-)

Offline WildBro

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 04:23:36 PM »
Kaz,

It's simple to make a Vrod go 250mph you will need to add another turbo engine to the one that is in your chassis. Two x 250hp engine should do the trick in a custom chassis.

If it's a Red Hat that you want. i would run in M-BF 1350 on the salt.the current record is 205mph. Your bike makes enough hp to run the number but you better hurry because i dont think that record will stay put past Tuesday at Speedweek. :-)

M-BF 1350 eh?

Bill
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Offline WildBro

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 04:32:51 PM »
Last question, how many runs do you get in a typical weekend? I see how you need to make increasingly faster runs for different speed ratings. I'm curious if it takes multiple meets to get the upper speed ratings ( probably a "B"?) my bike  should be capable of. Thanks, sorry if some of these are dumb questions, I've tried to read up as much as possible. A lot of the rules are very different from what I'm used to.

Run number depends on number of people at the event and how early you get up.  But in any case, you should be lic'ed and running wide open by the end of the meet Sunday.

Bill
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Offline Oldfart

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 08:56:32 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone, I also got an e-mail from Todd on some things. It's strange being a newb with something with bikes but it's pretty exciting too. To do something completely different after all these years is cool, I'm psyched to get out & meet & run with all of you . Thanks again.

Super Kaz

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 12:25:54 PM »
Kaz,

Thank You Kind Sir for the Great Advice :-D!Now does Anyone have a spare speedweek registration I can use :??