Author Topic: jumping line  (Read 16757 times)

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: jumping line
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2008, 02:48:32 AM »
We were in the rookie line on Saturday waiting to make a second run when it was announced that they were shutting down to move the course.  The announcer said we should note who is in front of you and get behind them on Sunday.  Our Sunday morning time slip said 8:32 am so we must have got to the line around 8:15 am.  When we drove into the rookie line it was empty (literally).  We drove straight to the line and unloaded.  Dave suited up and ran.  20 minutes max. from entering the rookie line to running.  Mark was in line and asked me if I could tow him back as his "retriever" had'nt shown up yet.  I said sure and asked the guy behind if he didn't me cutting in as I was towing Mark back.  His reply was "No problem".  All I saw was orderly friendly people.  More or less as always.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline RX7Paula

• New folks
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2008, 01:16:35 PM »
Just my $.02:
First of all, IMHO, SCTA truly is the best run volunteer based organizations I have ever seen.  In saying that, are there some improvements which can be made to some of the procedures on the lakebed or on the salt?  Probably.

Willie has voiced a valid concern.  There was quite a bit of confusion in pre-stage on Saturday afternoon for the second run.  I think that the position of the pits for the first meet, which is pretty much unavoidable, along with someone’s poor motorhome/trailer parking contributed to the traffic confines of the pre-stage area.  Even if the line steward was as vigilant as they could be, there was cross-pit traffic, groups of motorcycles and other spectators, participants, and a gajillion other people all trying to pass through a 40' wide opening that was at an intersection of a pit row, and the area leading up to the line steward and the starting line cones.  Even if your starting number was 1-25, you could not have come from the pits and gotten near the front of the pre-stage line in your assigned order, as Willie experienced, unless you got there way before 1st runs had officially ended. I think we got in line, with starting number 8, at least and hour before they exhausted the 1st run vehicles.  Adding to the confusion is the fact that not everyone from the first group’s run order is going to make a second pass.  So there could be a big gap in the starting position numbers at pre-stage.  I think that the restricted area of pre-stage and the poor park job of one motor-home and trailer, and the fact that those of us that want to make a 2nd run have a tendancy to hover at pre-stage in the hopes of a second run were among the problems this last Saturday.

I do think that there could be some improvement(s) or modifications to the procedure that lets the starting groups into staging, but that would require a very strict line steward.  A thankless job I would never want because of the flack you would undoubtedly get from people that think they should be next in line.  But, first of all, aren't we all grown ups and shouldn’t we be able to tell what number comes first?

As far as the line-up tracking from Saturday night to Sunday morning when they move the course, maybe the line steward or perhaps the starters should take down the vehicle numbers of the cars and bikes as they stand when they call the meet.  Then they can be checked off in that order on Sunday morning.

These are items that should be addressed with your clubs and at the Board meeting coming up on the 30th.  I would like to send a big thanks to all the volunteers this past weekend, it was a hot, VERY HOT weekend, and you all made it possible for us to go out and have fun.

Paula Burns
Paula Burns

Offline SGVridgerunner

• New folks
  • SCREAM!! <Shift> BIGGER SCREAM!!!!
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2008, 01:31:47 PM »
We were in the rookie line on Saturday waiting to make a second run when it was announced that they were shutting down to move the course.  The announcer said we should note who is in front of you and get behind them on Sunday.  Our Sunday morning time slip said 8:32 am so we must have got to the line around 8:15 am.  When we drove into the rookie line it was empty (literally).  We drove straight to the line and unloaded.  Dave suited up and ran.  20 minutes max. from entering the rookie line to running.  Mark was in line and asked me if I could tow him back as his "retriever" had'nt shown up yet.  I said sure and asked the guy behind if he didn't me cutting in as I was towing Mark back.  His reply was "No problem".  All I saw was orderly friendly people.  More or less as always.

Bill, was Mark expecting me/Keri to be his chase on Sunday or was he referring to somebody else? I would hate to have dropped a ball after he was kind enough to haul the Busa home for me.
"If it requires a helmet, it's probably fun!!"
El Mirage record: 207.184 - 1350 APS-G
Dirty 2 club member
Mojave Mile 2-club member
Mojave Magnum 2-club member

Offline mschuricht

• New folks
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2008, 01:34:46 PM »
Several year lurker, first time poster. I'll do an introduction later.

I think another problem with the pre-stage cluster bomb is the lack of communication over the CB. We listen very diligently for our start group numbers, but sometimes it can be missed. When we're tuning our race vehicles in the pits hearing the CB is out of the question.  We got on the CB and very politely asked which start numbers are staging 6 times over the course of 5 minutes with no response. We're always very careful to not cut in on the CB when there is a vehicle on the course. It seems the only time we can get a response on the CB is when we have one of the women in our camp ask the questions. It'd be nice if start group numbers were periodically called out over the CB. That'll help eliminate any confusion about who should be in the pre-stage area.

Mike Schuricht

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2008, 02:00:51 PM »
We pitted fairly close to the pre-stage lanes and I would periodically walk out and see what numbers were being released to the staging lanes. Some push/tow vehicles didn't have numbers on their windshields.

Maybe the line steward should not let those vehicles pass without a visible number. They may already be doing that.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2008, 02:27:04 PM »
From the 2008 El Mirage Dry Lake Land Speed Racing Procedures:

VII. Race Procedures
A. Line Up/Starting Position Procedure
1. Starting Position and Number Assignment – First Meet of the Season
Starting positions at the first El Mirage meet will be the same as competitor’s previous year El
Mirage points standings. A list will be posted at registration.
All competitors without previous year points standing will be assigned starting position numbers
in the order of their registration, but behind the previous year entrants.
2. Starting Positions and Number Assignment – After First Meet
The points accrued at the first meet of the season determine starting positions for the next meet.
Accumulated points will determine subsequent starting positions. If any entrants are tied in the
points standing, the fastest entrant from the previous meet will run first.
3. Line Stewards
To assist the line steward and orderly lineup by participants, all race vehicles shall indicate their
start position number either on the race vehicle or push vehicle windshield. This is best done using
a white shoe polish which is available at the registration trailer. Please be sure to draw a circle
around the start number.
4. Position and Placement Disputes
All such disputes will be resolved as they occur by the Starting Line Stewards.
B. Starting Lanes Description and Assignment
Four lanes will be used for race vehicle starting line up, the lanes being numbered from left to right,
looking down the course.
1. Lane One (from left)
For entrants that have previously run over 200 MPH in their class at El Mirage for which they are
currently competing and the record in that class, or established minimum, is over 200 MPH. Also,
each driver must possess at least a current class ‘A’ license.
􀂾 All new 200+ MPH vehicles must qualify for the 200 MPH lane, as defined in
this section.
􀂾 If entrant has a strong reason to believe race vehicle will exceed 200 MPH in its
new class, entrant may petition the Race Director, who in his judgment may grant
a waiver from this requirement.
􀂾 Prior to the first run of the day from Lane One, starting positions in Lane One are
based on points standings. After the first vehicle has run from any lane, 200
MPH vehicles not already staged in Lane One will be entitled to use Lane One
only on a first-come basis. The same procedure will apply to all subsequent
rounds.
􀂾 Entrant qualified to use the 200 MPH lane shall restage for any additional run(s)
only after ALL race vehicles have made one run.
􀂾 If a previously qualified 200 MPH lane vehicle subsequently changes class,
entrant must re-qualify race vehicle in lane 2 or 3 at over 200 MPH.
􀂾 Changing starting lanes is NOT allowed. A 200 MPH lane qualified vehicle may
run in any starting lane the entrant chooses, BUT must run in the same lane the
entire meet. Jumping between the #1, 2, and 3 lanes to gain advantage will not be
permitted.
􀂾 Entrants running from the 200 MPH line when not qualified are not eligible for
records or points.
2. Lane Two
Odd-numbered entrants starting position (i.e., 1,3,5,7, etc.)
3. Lane Three
Even-numbered entrants starting position (i.e., 2,4,6,8, etc.)
Note – Line stewards may vary odd-even sequence to keep lines even.
4. Lane Four
Initial run(s) of new/rookie drivers obtaining the SCTA competition licenses ONLY. No records
may be set from the rookie lane. Only DRIVERS are rookies. There are no “Rookie Vehicles”.
C. Staging – First Group
Entrants numbered 1 through 25 will line up, with odd starting position numbers in the second lane and
even starting position numbers in the third lane. NOTE – No vehicle may be pushed/bump-started in the
staging or pre-staging areas.
1. Pre-Staging Next Starting Group
When all starting lanes contain a total of approximately 15 vehicles, entrants 26 through 50 will be
called from pre-stage into the starting lanes. The same procedure will be followed for all other
entry groups, i.e., 51-75, 76-100, etc.
2. Pre-Staging Operations and Assignments
If your entry isn’t pre-staged in the correct number order in your group, you may run at the back of
your number group. If a later sequence group has finished pre-staging and is starting to move
ahead into the staging lanes, you will stage at the end of the group. You may trade your starting
positions in your number group.
3. Running Order after a Halted Meet is Restarted
When a meet is halted for any period of time, for any reason, whether to move the course,
or to deal with an incident, or for weather reasons, the following shall apply: Upon
resumption of racing, the meet will restart in the exact running order where it was left off.
All lanes will be open and running in their regular manner. Furthermore, during a multi
day race meet, when racing is concluded at the end of the first day, it shall be resumed the
following day according to the above rule

Pretty much covers everything. If anyone gets past the lane steward without a shoe polish number, feel free to point it out. They should automatically get the last starting number. The only way to verify the starting number is to check the entry number against the points position. You could otherwise have a starting number of 192 and write 52 (Oops! My mistake!) The entrant writes the number, in case you were wondering.

It was very clearly mentioned at the drivers meeting that shoe polish numbers would be required on all push vehicles. In fact, I heard somebody say they were going to get the shoe polish to make sure it was available.

Feel free to volunteer to be lane steward!
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2008, 02:51:38 PM »
Several year lurker, first time poster. I'll do an introduction later.

I think another problem with the pre-stage cluster bomb is the lack of communication over the CB.

Mike Schuricht

Mike,

I have better luck hearing the starting line numbers when I listen to the FM Broadcast on the Radio. A suggestion might be that the Announcer should say what the starting line numbers are every 10 minutes for the pre-stage area.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2008, 03:43:33 PM »
the little orange tag that you get when you pay has your start position and your bike number on it  and you are required to put it on your vehicle  --very easy to check unless someone changed theirs in whitch case it wouldnt match the number on there bike or car ---look we all have to work our way up the ranks--we all started in the rookie lane --we all start with a state drivers license  --and i dont think it takes a rocket scientist to keep the lines straight and in order could be wrong though its happened before   willie buchta 

i think what would make it easy is if everyone waited until there number group was called to go to pre-stage ---pretty simple
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 03:47:58 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2008, 05:12:12 PM »
I forgot about the starting number on the tag. The next time you see somebody without a windshield number do us a favor and steer them to the line steward for some shoe polish.

The starter should also check for push truck numbers and not allow them to run.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2008, 05:28:09 PM »
There were 175 runs in 7 hours on Saturday. A vehicle every 2.5 minutes.

Son-of-a-gun if that isn't 25 runs per hour.
If we start at 8:30 then 25-50 starts at 9:30, 51-75 starts at 10:30

25 runs per hour. How hard can it be to figure out when you are going to run?

It's amazing how many entrants have no idea where we are in the run order.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2008, 05:34:47 PM »
There were 175 runs in 7 hours on Saturday. A vehicle every 2.5 minutes.

Son-of-a-gun if that isn't 25 runs per hour.
If we start at 8:30 then 25-50 starts at 9:30, 51-75 starts at 10:30

25 runs per hour. How hard can it be to figure out when you are going to run?

It's amazing how many entrants have no idea where we are in the run order.

Dean I was number 179 and I ran at 12 noon on Saturday.

Scott

racin jason

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2008, 06:00:25 PM »
A simple sign at the entrance to the staging lanes with the current starting numbers(ie 1-25) would be simple and self policing.
This would cut down on the 5 times i asked the line steward what number he was at.

It is slightly confusing if you are looking at the numbers in staging as the rookies can line up in any order and after the first 200mph vehicle runs its first come first served for the 2 line. You will see many different starting numbers mixed in line throughout the day and nobody is jumping the line.
Another thing i noticed was if you missed your round due to maitenance etc. you would line up with the next group. this gives the impression that the properly lined up vehicles are infront of the guy who missed his call.

Offline mschuricht

• New folks
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2008, 06:10:11 PM »
Dean - Interesting theory but there's no way you can determine start numbers by time of day. Between vehicle spins, turnouts to the right, timing light issues and who knows what else, the time between rounds varies greatly. The more often the start numbers are mentioned the more informed the racers will be. A sign at the line steward EZ-Up would be a great idea. That way we can drive by and check on the number without bothering the steward or making noise on the CB.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2008, 08:00:23 PM »
We pitted fairly close to the pre-stage lanes and I would periodically walk out and see what numbers were being released to the staging lanes. Some push/tow vehicles didn't have numbers on their windshields.

Maybe the line steward should not let those vehicles pass without a visible number. They may already be doing that.

We went into line with no number on the windshield and were very quickly confronted(in a nice way) by the line steward.  He had shoe polish and put our number on the windshield for us. 
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2008, 08:16:12 PM »
A simple sign at the entrance to the staging lanes with the current starting numbers(ie 1-25) would be simple and self policing.

This is a great idea! I asked him 3-4 times.......I bet he got bothered all day both days.

Scott