Author Topic: At Maxton this weekend  (Read 16479 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
At Maxton this weekend
« on: May 16, 2008, 09:28:02 AM »
Hey, there, boys and girls -- Nancy and I are at Maxton for the racing this weekend.  Since I'm still brand-spanking new at this website-running thing -- do me a favor and play along with my paranoia.  If anything goes wrong with the site -- give me a call (906 361 6282) to tell me that you've already called Jonathon to see if he can fix it, 'cause I'm helpless so far. . .  At least we've got the computer with us so I can log on and see what's going on. 

Really, though -- I'll try to take some photos of vehicles out there today as we do the setup and inspections, and I'll post some stuff later this evening when we get back here to the Pine Acres Lodge.  I've asked the Joe Timney if I can get some run logs or something to post as the meet proceeds, so I'll do what I can to let you know what's going on.

By the same token -- if some of you going to EM this weekend will be so kind as to take notes and photos and let us know the story out there -- that'll be great.  As things progress with this site and me I'll try to find some "regular" correspondents to give reports form the events out there (in other words, if this sounds like it'll be just what you've always wanted to do, give me a shout and I'll see about signing you up right away!  That's it for now -- it's time to go to Max's Breakfast Anytime restaurant and have some fried liver mush to get us going (really, they serve something that's called "liver mush".  No, we won't have any at Salt Talks).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: At Maxton this weekend
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 09:42:09 AM »
Jon, a cell or satellite phone with an internet connection will allow you to report from the track....  :roll:
Oh yea, have fun, that is the important part of retirement  8-) (other than having a good woman still working to support you)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 09:53:58 AM »
Have fun and good luck!

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 01:12:06 PM »
Hey Jon-
  I will get some shots from El Mirage this weekend.  Please provide an email address to send them to you.  Best of luck this weekend!   :-D    Scott
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 02:53:32 PM »
Hey Jon-
  I will get some shots from El Mirage this weekend.  Please provide an email address to send them to you.  Best of luck this weekend!   :-D    Scott

You can always post your pictures here under "El Mirage in May" or something and do a write up about it.   :-D

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 06:04:57 PM »
Okay, let's see how well I did.  I haven't tried resizing the photos on the camera before today, and I shot 'em hoping they'll fit right the first time.  If these are too small for you to be able to see much detail -- I'll fix that tomorrow.  Remember, this was just a test.

Okay -- I think I've got four photos selected to show up, and that's fine -- but hey, how do I add some comments for each photo -- how do I get the first one up there and then say who it is and what I want to say, then the next photo and a few comments, and so on.  I know you folks can do it -- Sum -- what do I do?

Okay, I did something wrong.  I thought I put four shots up there -- but all I see is Todd, a/k/a Narider, sitting on the floor next to Deb's bike while he was working on it and we were shooting the breeze.  Where are the other pictures?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 06:07:00 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 06:21:38 PM »
Two times I haven't made it work, maybe #3 will.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 06:51:36 PM »
...........  I know you folks can do it -- Sum -- what do I do?..................

Well it looks like you got the idea how to add more attachments with the "Additional Options" then "Attach" then "browse" then "more attachments".  I don't know of any way to add captions, except to put them in the text that will show above the pictures.  Personally I think the size if fine and probably the lowest you can set the camera at, but they could be smaller in size for those people on dial-up.  See if your camera has a VGA setting and then use the lowest setting under that.  They don't have to be great to look OK on a monitor.  You are doing good for a "Mac" guy so give yourself a pat on the back.

c ya and have fun,

Sum

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 07:33:13 PM »
Thanks for the hints, Sum.  The camera is set to the smallest file size I can get it to, making these show up at about 120-130k each. 

" I don't know of any way to add captions, except to put them in the text that will show above the pictures. "

No, you do it all the time -- you post a batch of photos and there are words above or below each of 'em.  I thought that maybe I had to post the photos and then go back and enter the comments -- but I don't see the photos when I try to "modify" the post.  That's what I'm trying to learn.

Sorry folks, if this ECTA section is also becoming Jon's "how do I do it" place -- but I've gotta ask and learn.  I'll get better soon. (I HOPE!)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 08:03:36 PM »
The photos are great on dial-up.

Much appreciated.

Sam

Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline Freud

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 08:09:08 PM »
SSS...I've been posting for a while.
Here are my suggestions and I know they work. They aren't as sophisticated as some other peoples but they work.
1-Make a list of the numbers of the fotos u plan to use.
2-Write the captions as the main body of the posting.
3-Attach the fotos in the order in which u have described them.

I haven't had negative feedback using that method.
The site says u can only attach 4 images per posting and the total size of the attachments has to be less than 500 KB. Some other people seem to get around that but I think the only way it works is that the file sizes are small.

When all else fails, ask Deb. She will know.

Damn, you make me feel good when I can ASSist you.

If all this fails.........beg AT&T Information for Amo's new unlisted number.

FrEuD
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 07:57:46 AM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 09:00:00 PM »
..................No, you do it all the time -- you post a batch of photos and there are words above or below each of 'em.  .....................

I'd tell you how, but then I would have to kill you and the bills would go unpaid for the site and it would go down and then their would be a contract on my life by the site members and............well you get the idea  :evil:.

Actually when I do that the pictures are on my site and I link to them with the (img][/img) command on here and that puts the pictures between the wording.  Maybe when you get back we can talk about a way that you could e-mail them to me and I could could post them for you until you learn how to manage this stuff on your site, but hopefully I won't always be home during these events.  For now follow Freud's suggestion.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 09:09:44 PM »
So you click the img command -- and just what do you put between the [img] and other [img]?  The photo's URL on your site?  If I try to put an image in there -- can I do it without having the photo on a site?  Like - how does Willie do it?

Dang it, there's gotta be a way I can learn this stuff without going to Blanding, not that I'm against that, but rather that right now it'd be a distraction...
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 09:12:15 PM »
Freud -- maybe I'll mosey down to Deb and Todd's room and have her show me, right here on this Macbook.  I expect they've turned in for the eveing, so I'll do that tomorrow.  Yeah, that's it -- heck, I teched her bike today -- she can return the favor.

Oh, shoot, wait a minnit -- I didn't do her bike after all.  There goes my help.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 10:28:44 PM »
So you click the img command -- and just what do you put between the [img] and other [img]?  The photo's URL on your site?  If I try to put an image in there -- can I do it without having the photo on a site?  ........

It has to be on a site for that to work, so that isn't going to do you much good in your current situation.

............. how does Willie do it?....................

He has Sheri  :lol:,  actually his show up just like yours.  One thing you could do is change the "file name" of the picture as the file name does show up under the picture.  You would probably have to keep the name fairly short.  If you look at your pictures in the posts the file name under them is the number that your camera gave them and that became the file name.  Go to where you have them stored on your computer and change there names from the camera name to a short caption. 

A lot of work, but do you remember "those sacrifices" you would be doing.  Well here is the first one  :-P,

Sum