Author Topic: licence endorsement  (Read 3458 times)

Offline Carl Johansson

licence endorsement
« on: May 12, 2008, 09:35:48 PM »
So Do I really need a Motorcycle endorsement to run a 2 wheeler at El Mirage?

I believe it says that in the rules -  is that one enforced?  any idea the justification for it?  I know to be legal to ride in California on roads you need it -  but on a dry lake bed?  seems to me it would be more likely to require a green tag than a licence!

Carl Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: licence endorsement
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 09:48:26 PM »
It's a rule or it wouldn't be in the book.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 10:29:14 PM »
So Do I really need a Motorcycle endorsement to run a 2 wheeler at El Mirage?

I believe it says that in the rules -  is that one enforced?  any idea the justification for it?  I know to be legal to ride in California on roads you need it -  but on a dry lake bed?  seems to me it would be more likely to require a green tag than a licence!

Carl Johansson

Carl,

It is new this year and was never a requirement prior to now, SCTA is trying to make sure that the newer riders (Especially on Turbo Busas) have minimal riding experience and have a local state endorsement to operate a motorcycle.

Remember that several Turbo Busa's/riders have been down at all LSR events.

here is a list of the riders that have been down that I am aware of.

Russ Montgomery in Texas
Leslie Porterfield at Bonneville
Bill Chambers at El Mirage
Debbie Dross at Maxton

J

PS, Green sticker stays with the offroad vehicle and the license stays with the rider.

J

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 11:30:12 PM »

Carl,

It is new this year and was never a requirement prior to now, SCTA is trying to make sure that the newer riders (Especially on Turbo Busas) have minimal riding experience and have a local state endorsement to operate a motorcycle.

Remember that several Turbo Busa's/riders have been down at all LSR events.

here is a list of the riders that have been down that I am aware of.

Russ Montgomery in Texas
Leslie Porterfield at Bonneville
Bill Chambers at El Mirage
Debbie Dross at Maxton

J

PS, Green sticker stays with the offroad vehicle and the license stays with the rider.

J

Thanks john,
I've been riding for 35 years now -  rode the transcan higway and transAlaskan hway in 74 -  rode all over the US have over 60k road miles -  but it got to dangerous, so I gave up road bikes,  switched to dirt bikes -  Guess I'll have to go take the written and the road test if I wanna wring out the RZ 350!
Carl Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 11:50:28 AM »
To expand on what JN says -- it was only a year or so ago that we (inspectors) started asking to see the entrant's state driver license to see that it included a motorcycle endorsement -- but we sure do now.  If you want to ride a bike at an event -- make sure you're ready to show your driver license, which must have a bike endorsement.  Another good reason for us to look at your license is to see if it is valid (vs. restricted because of a court order, for instance.  Ouch -- sounds nasty, but it's gotta be done.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 11:53:21 AM »
Carl --

I believe I got my endorsement on my Calif. license in 1968 or so.  Quit riding in 1972 or so.  It's still on my license.  If you have had a Calif. license for a few decades, it might be there and you don't even know it!  Take a look.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records