Author Topic: Defining a 'Motorcycle' or a 'Car'  (Read 11705 times)

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
Re: Defining a 'Motorcycle' or a 'Car'
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2008, 06:29:43 PM »
Guys and Gals,  :-D

I would appreciate it if folks would just cite an article and refer to it not copy it and use it to run up the bandwidth and opportunities to run up the post count. Unless there is ONE specific thing to quote that is noteworthy. :-P :roll:

I have a wife who is a very accomplished research assistant (also a school librarian) so just a simple reference is more than adequate. :-o

Regards to All,
HB2 :-)

If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Ratliff

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2008, 06:42:26 PM »
Guys and Gals,  :-D

I would appreciate it if folks would just cite an article and refer to it not copy it and use it to run up the bandwidth and opportunities to run up the post count. Unless there is ONE specific thing to quote that is noteworthy. :-P :roll:

I have a wife who is a very accomplished research assistant (also a school librarian) so just a simple reference is more than adequate. :-o

Regards to All,
HB2 :-)

To the best of my knowledge, prior to posting it here, the article on Leopold Schmid's land speed car existed in only one place (my home) as the original 48 year old magazine and as the scanned copy on my hard drive. There was no place to cite or reference it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 06:46:35 PM by Ratliff »

Blue

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2008, 03:50:12 AM »
Let's get back on topic. 

A motorcycle is obviously a two wheeled vehicle and a car is a four wheeled vehicle.  We can argue about sidecars and tricycles till the cows come home.  IMHO, the difference is that a sidecar has one driven wheel and a tricycle has two.

IM<HO that the engine makes absolutely no difference.  Aircraft engines have been used in hydros;  they're still hydros.  Aircraft engines have been used in LSR 4-wheeled vehicles;  were these cars, airplanes, or hydroplanes?

BUB made a from-scratch engine and put it in a two-wheeled LSR; this is a motorcycle.  Anyone can make a modified engine from any source or from-scratch engine and put in in any LSR.  If we place a Hayabusa engine in a go-kart, it's a go-kart.  Don't worry about the "source" of the engine, it's the vehicle it's in and the class that it fits into that matters.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 12:52:32 PM by Sumner »

Ratliff

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2008, 10:27:45 AM »
Let's get back on topic. 

A motorcycle is obviously a two wheeled vehicle and a car is a four wheeled vehicle.  We can argue about sidecars and tricycles till the cows come home.  IMHO, the difference is that a sidecar has one driven wheel and a tricycle has two.

IM<HO that the engine makes absolutely no difference.  Aircraft engines have been used in hydros;  they're still hydros.  Aircraft engines have been used in LSR 4-wheeled vehicles;  were these cars, airplanes, or hydroplanes?

BUB made a from-scratch engine and put it in a two-wheeled LSR; this is a motorcycle.  Anyone can make a modified engine from any source or from-scratch engine and put in in any LSR.  If we place a Hayabusa engine in a go-kart, it's a go-kart.  Don't worry about the "source" of the engine, it's the vehicle it's in and the class that it fits into that matters.

The Mercedes Benz T-80 was a six wheeler (four for drive, two for steering).

George Eyston's Thunderbolt was also a six wheeler (single drive axle with dualie tires, four front wheels for steering).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 12:55:13 PM by Sumner »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2008, 01:17:37 AM »
We have had 2 6 wheeled Lakesters that I know of---John's and Rick's!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!