Author Topic: Is a boost controller a legal addition for Production class?  (Read 4327 times)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
The SCTA motorcycle rules for the production class says that all power modifications must be out of view. Is a boost controller a power modification and must be hidden? On one hand it is, because it could increase boost higher than from the factory, but on the hand the power potential was there from the beginning, the controller just controls the boost signal to the wastegate.

Any opininons?

Thanks
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Is a boost controller a legal addition for Production class?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 09:01:48 AM »
The rule for production supercharged only says you must use the factory Turbo or supercharger.  I would say if it can't be seen without removing bodywork it should pass.  Just remember that the parts that can be seen must appear identical to the factory.  If you have doubts, play it safe and send info to the scta question line, let us know what they say....  :-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 09:36:07 AM »
The production rule states "stock external appearance" so any electronics must be hidden. Does any OEM turbo really need a boost controller? (Well maybe to increase boost). JN has been 260 using beer can bottoms as waste gate shims.   :-D

Super Kaz

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 06:42:30 PM »
The production rule states "stock external appearance" so any electronics must be hidden. Does any OEM turbo really need a boost controller? (Well maybe to increase boost). JN has been 260 using beer can bottoms as waste gate shims.   :-D

ya you should have seen US Trying to screw that FLIPPIN Thing back together :-P! That was pretty COOL though :mrgreen:! JN Your such a STUD :wink:!!!

Offline Randall Parker

• Yup, I'm a Baby Boomer!
  • My Boss 429 KK2159. bought it from the Breedlove's
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 01:23:57 AM »
Tech did not allow a wide band guage on a 750 P-P bike after it qualified.  They sent him back out minus the guage.  It was beside his triple clamp.
The Faster you go the longer you live...it's just physics.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 09:51:58 AM »
Tech did not allow a wide band guage on a 750 P-P bike after it qualified.  They sent him back out minus the guage.  It was beside his triple clamp.

Did he have to cut the bung out of the pipe and weld it back smooth?

Sum

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 12:31:14 PM »

Did he have to cut the bung out of the pipe and weld it back smooth?

Sum

not if it was out of view....  Sometimes they look hard at P-P, sometimes they don't... no way to tell which way it will be one day to the next, one inspector the the next. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 09:17:57 PM »
Does any OEM turbo really need a boost controller? (Well maybe to increase boost)

For my non LSR turbo busa I use a gear based multi stage boost controller

2 psi in 1st
4 psi in 2nd
8 psi in 4th, 5th and 6th.

The bike drives much better with the boost controller on the street, much more user friendly. I could see a gear based boost control being very helpful on the salt (I couldn’t imagine what 15+psi on the salt in 1 gear would be like!)......but I have never ridden a turbo, OEM turbo or other on salt.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Super Kaz

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 10:21:19 PM »
Does any OEM turbo really need a boost controller? (Well maybe to increase boost)

For my non LSR turbo busa I use a gear based multi stage boost controller

2 psi in 1st
4 psi in 2nd
8 psi in 4th, 5th and 6th.

The bike drives much better with the boost controller on the street, much more user friendly. I could see a gear based boost control being very helpful on the salt (I couldn’t imagine what 15+psi on the salt in 1 gear would be like!)......but I have never ridden a turbo, OEM turbo or other on salt.

it's a Walk in the PARK till you get wet :-o!

Offline 38Chevy454

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 12:52:59 AM »
This is not a real answer to the question, but many years ago I rode a Yamaha Turbo Seca (650 cc) on the street.  I modified it for more boost by simply capping the wastegate vacuum line coming from the blow-through carb air box.  So in effect it made the wastegate so it always saw 0 psi.  The stock wastegate limited boost to about 7 psi.  I got 14.5 psi out of the completely stock set-up and that was limited by a blow-off valve on the back of the air box.  I added oil pressure and a vacuum/boost gage to keep better eye on things.  Never had any reliability troubles, only slipping clutches.  The stiffer springs made it too much for normal street driving, so I lived with a little slip and stock spring pressure.  This could all be hidden by simply plugging the inside of the vacuum line and putting it back on.  For me there was no reason to hide anything.  I figured this out by understanding the purpose of the air box blow-off, and let that become my boost limiter.  I have no idea if the turbo could have made more boost by eliminating the blow-off relief valve on the air box, I decided I was needing it to stay together.  BTW, that bike was a slug until the boost came on, the low compression killed the low end.  Would be good for land speed racing, but sucked for the street for real serious performance.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.....

High Quality USA-made bear claw style latches CHEAP! Now including install kits also!
buy here directly:  www.hotrodlatches.com