Author Topic: Gas/Fuel Roadster Frames and Floor Boards  (Read 3601 times)

Offline goldleaf

• New folks
Gas/Fuel Roadster Frames and Floor Boards
« on: June 11, 2004, 12:13:00 AM »
I am building a roadster and would like to know what most people are doing regarding the frames and floor boards.

Is the floor board flat with the bottom of the frame or are they using the frame rails as an end cap for like a tunnel effect

From the rear axle can a floor board extend to the back of the car - is this allowed because the  rule book is a bit sketchy on this

Francis

Offline DallasV

Re: Gas/Fuel Roadster Frames and Floor Boards
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 11:04:00 AM »
Francis,
 I guess the first question is what type of roadster. We run a Gas/Fuel roadster on a tube frame. The step pan can be mounted inside the frame or to the bottom of the frame no lower than the bottom of the frame + material thickness. The step pan cannot cover the rear end, The rule of thumb most roadster guys go by is 10" before the rear end the step pan starts going up. Past the rear end you can continue with the step pan as long as it stays within or mounted to the bottom of the frame rails. These are the rules for gas/fuel roadster as I interpret them. If your running modified or street the rules change. There is a roadster commitee that you can ask on the salt. Just remember that nobody is going to tell you your car is illegal unless you ask, and nobody will protest until you go fast. Hope this helps and I remeber this is just how I interpret the rules. Have fun, go fast
 Dallas
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 06:13:00 PM »
By the rules: the step pan goes between the frame rails from the AFT most firewall to 10" in front of the centerline of the rear axle no lower than the lower frame rail but may be attached beneath it. It must be flat. It then can start at an angle no more than 45 degree to meet the floorboards. All other panels must meet the defination of "floorboards," which by defination are above the frame rails and OVER all suspension and driveline components.  This rule is easy to discribe with a 32 ford type or channel type frame but harder with a tube type. It's also tough when the rails do not go the outside edge of the body you have choosen to use. If I look under your car from the back and CANNOT see your entire rear end, suspension parts, and the begining of a drive shaft you probably be illegal. It's best to have looked at a lot of cars and talked to the roadster committee members to make sure you are doing the right thing for the class you want to run.. I can vouch for what Dallas has said as my car has been measured and looked at countless times and was always legal as the rules were written at the time. However as the rules were changed so was my car.  Good Luck. J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline goldleaf

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 01:03:00 PM »
Thanks to Dallas and Jimmy six.  I can invision
 the under carriage of my roadster.  Rule Books are only rivaled by VCR instructions in my mind!

LSR racers are truly unselfish when it comes to sharing information which is really a rare thing in this world today.

Thanks again,

Francis

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 02:04:00 PM »
Thsnks:  The biggest thing you find is no 2 roadsters are alike even if the same guy built them.(no templates here) Looking at alot of them will give you the best info.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro