Author Topic: Bumpers  (Read 3098 times)

Offline Dan Stokes

Bumpers
« on: May 06, 2008, 01:55:04 PM »
Folks -
I went looking in the rule book to be sure my front air dam is correct, and I found a mistake (I think) in the rule book.  At the bottom of page 33, it defines "bumper" (Section 4.JJ), but just as it gets to the good part, it's cut off.  The last sentence says, "For the purposes of streamlining, any fascia covering the primary bumper bar ceases to be part of the bumper once"..... .  When I flipped to the next page, section 5 starts.  Section 4.CC.1 defines "air dams" in a general way, but does not define the limits of their design.  Keith told me that mine sticks out too far, and I'm sure he's right, but I am unclear as to whether the problem is that mine sticks out past the main bumper at the bottom center (it's "V" shaped and I let it follow the angle of the stock bumper cover), or if the issue is that I screwed it on at the point that the bumper is the furthest forward, therefore making the whole darn thing farther forward (by the thickness of the aluminum) than the stock bumper.  Or am I missing some other place where "bumpers" and "air dams" are defined.  Couldn't find it in last year's rulebook, either.

Thanks

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline Stan Back

Re: Bumpers
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 07:58:38 PM »
Dan --

Don't know if it applies -- but the 2008 SCTA book has a completely revised 4.JJ.  All new.  Maybe someone was changing theirs to comply(?).

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 12:00:11 AM »
above or below the primary impact absorbing region. 

This must have been cut off of your copy - Mine looks to be in a different font size - just below the paragraph double space below.

Also look at the definition of an air dam.  on page 31  section 4.cc.1

Devices installed below the front bumper used to inhibit and direct airflow from under the vehicle. 

Notice the word BELOW - I believe this is different from previous years.
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 01:25:26 AM »
Thanks for the responses.  Mine has the big, one-piece flexible fascia, so it's kind of difficult to define what's "above" and what's "below".  I'll go scratch my head and look at it some.

Dan

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 12:21:41 AM »
I dug out my copy of the Hot Rod with pics of Keith and Dave's Camaros at the A2 wind tunnel, which answered a lot of questions.  Keith's air dam is attached exactly where mine is, but the front center is straight down, where mine angles forward.  So I know what to do to fix it - cut a wedge out of the middle.  Mine is fab'd of two sections joined at the center with an angled strip of aluminum, so it's pretty easy to fix it.  Then I need to make a lower brace - there is more force on that thing than I would have thought.

Later
Dan