Author Topic: easy tools to make  (Read 8601 times)

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
easy tools to make
« on: May 04, 2008, 06:03:17 PM »
Hi All,  :-D

Wanted to post some pics of some stuff that is very handy and yet easy to build so you will have more power in your tool boxes. :-o

This first one is a pretty good 0-100psi (+/- 1/4%) pressure gage and a regulator setup on a manifold that is tapped for #6 AN on one end and #8 AN on the other.  :lol: The setup can be used to check (with compressed air) the opening point of check valves or such things and is very handy to use around mechanical injection but there are many uses for it. :?

Also shown is an adapter that is tapped for #6 AN to check for leakage of one-way check valves, etc. :roll:

Regards to All,
HB2 :-)
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
Re: easy tools to make
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 06:14:30 PM »
Howdy All, :-D

Another easy tool to make that is very handy for measuring low pressures around racecars is the following.

The piece is a Magnehelic gage that can measure low and high pressures both positive and negative from 0 to 2" of H2O. 8-)

The gage is normally on zero when standing up and I laid it on its back to take the pic. The case is a chepo plastic box from Radio Shack and after cutting the hole for the gage and installing same, the hose connections were added. :roll:

You can use this sensitive gage to check out places where small pressure differentials exist such as in the air scoop or underhood pressures.  :? Of course at speed you would want to be getting the indication on a video or digital pic so that you can drive.  :-P

It sure takes the guesswork out of small pressure measurements without spending big bucks! :evil:

Regards to All,

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 11:54:54 PM »
Harold,

Where do you get the gauge itself?

Been working on a new air intake system and it would be nice to get some baseline measurements.

Tom

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 10:46:49 AM »
Suggestion, 836

GOOGLE magnehelic guage - yrs truly just did- there's about 15,000 listings. Some are are priced in the $60.00 range.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 10:55:33 AM »
From Dwyer Instruments

4 1/2" 0-100 psi pressure gage
http://www.dwyer-inst.com/htdocs/pressure/SeriesSGLPrice.cfm

0-2" Magnehelic® Differential Pressure Gages
http://www.dwyer-inst.com/htdocs/pressure/Series2000Price.cfm
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 12:40:14 PM »
THANKS GUYS!

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 01:11:17 PM »
Dean and All, :-D

Thanks for supplying the information on where to get the gages. I think I bought the pressure gage from Graingers new, but I bought the Magnehelic gage at a place called OEM here in Colorado that deals in surplus equipment. I don't remember what I paid for it but it was cheap. :lol:

I have even used the Magnahelic gage for setting up a Rochester fuel injection for rich and lean stops and by making a small adapter to go in the fuel injection port nozzle line referenced to another pressure gage that I also got from Graingers (about $40 as I recall). 8-)

Regards to All,

Offline comp

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 08:47:27 PM »
 anything new ???