Author Topic: Helmet question  (Read 5451 times)

Egz

Helmet question
« on: May 01, 2008, 07:11:55 PM »
In the SCTA rule book, it states no open face helmets.  Is a hybrid helmet okay since it doesn't have a visor?

Thanks

Offline RichFox

Re: Helmet question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 07:16:16 PM »
You need one that closes. Otherwise the starter won't have anything much to do when he sends you off.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 07:19:39 PM »
I would hate to have one on where there is a fire in the car.

I say bad idea.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline salt27

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 09:48:48 PM »
One time I thought I would speed things up a little by closing my visor ahead of time. The starter motioned for me to close it [ it was already close ] and would not start me until I made the motion like I was closing it. I did'nt try that again.
Don

Egz

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 10:45:06 PM »
Hmm, so if I go with that one, I'd have to fake closing the lens?

Yea.... its just really, really clean.

Thanks for the info.  I need to get a new one this weekend, and like to think forward to other venues.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 09:11:31 AM »
You could be in it for 15 minutes ( suited up belted in 3 cars back, 5 minutes per run).  Really hot anyway, wearing head sock, and I have problems with visor steaming until the car gets moving, you might want a visor.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 09:45:56 AM »
EGZ:  Here's another way to see if it'd be allowed:  Does it say "SA2000" (or later) or "M2000" (or later) Snell rating on the inside liner?  If not -- nope, it won't be allowed.  If so -- maybe, up to the inspectors and the starter and meet officials if you press the issue when told no.  But without the Snell certification it won't pass.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Egz

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 10:06:24 AM »
Its definately will be SA2005.  Part of the reason is my M-rated that I currently own need to be upgraded for new club rules, and just trying to think of all the rules I will need to meet in the future for my helmet purchase.  I don't want to buy a new helmet, and then find out that it won't be accepted somewhere.  The rule in the book was just a little vague.

Offline GH

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 10:23:05 AM »
This is a little off the subject,  but it is about helmets. When I go to Speed Week, I always leave my helmet in the race car. Well, in 04, I went to the World Finals and on the back-up run which as you know is early in the morning, I had left the helmet in the car as I had always done, the dang thing was cold and fogged over big time, took over a mile to clear up. Now I keep it in the camper overnight when we go in the fall. This is just one of the little things that you have to learn the hard way.

Offline salt27

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 10:29:37 AM »
GH,
Good tip,thanks.
Don

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 10:37:00 AM »
Rating wise the "SA" is OK for cars but not bikes. An "M" rated helmet is OK for cars and bikes. If you're buying online make sure the helmet is 2005 rated. They get rid of a lot of older certified helmets that way.  :-D

Larry
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 10:56:45 AM »
Larry, I'll reinforce that -- when you buy/order your helmet, specify on the order that if it isn't 2005 you may return it at their cost!  I ordered a helmet a year or two ago and had checked to see that they had the '05 rated ones -- and yes, they did, but they sent me an '00 one anyway. 
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Egz

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 11:45:30 AM »
Ah, no worries there.  There is a nice store along my trip to the track, so I'll be getting it in person, so I will know that it fits correctly and will be a 2005.  Definately will not buy a 2000.  I was hoping I could wait it out a little longer for the 2010s; oh well.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 02:46:24 PM »
From the Snell Memorial Foundation:

Where's the Snell label located?
    There are two forms of the Snell serialized label.  The most common is the adhesive label, but there is also a cloth type for the M, SA and RS standards. The adhesive label, or decal is usually affixed somewhere on the inside of the helmet.  If it is not readily visible, check underneath the flaps of the comfort padding. The cloth type labels a generally sewn onto the chin strap and folded over.  If a thorough search fails to turn up a decal then regardless of any claims or advertisements your helmet is not part of the Snell certification program and does not have the confidence of the Foundation.   

What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?
    The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:

1. The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
       2. The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
       3. The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi impact test while M standard does not.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 05:08:28 PM »
From the Snell Memorial Foundation:

Where's the Snell label located?
    There are two forms of the Snell serialized label.  The most common is the adhesive label, but there is also a cloth type for the M, SA and RS standards. The adhesive label, or decal is usually affixed somewhere on the inside of the helmet.  If it is not readily visible, check underneath the flaps of the comfort padding. The cloth type labels a generally sewn onto the chin strap and folded over.  If a thorough search fails to turn up a decal then regardless of any claims or advertisements your helmet is not part of the Snell certification program and does not have the confidence of the Foundation.   

What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?
    The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:

1. The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
       2. The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
       3. The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi impact test while M standard does not.

Strange that the M is ok for cars and bikes, but the SA only cars.  It would seem almost the other way around as it looks like the SA has to meet more requirements.  I guess I'm missing something here,

Sum