Author Topic: Buick ignition module  (Read 2336 times)

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
Buick ignition module
« on: April 26, 2008, 09:44:15 AM »
I have in the shop a Buick v-6 well a Holden to be more specific and for the life of me can not figure out what ignition module to buy for it. It has a dead magnavox type one on it now and want to use delco type module instead. It has a dual hall effect sensor on the crank with 2 trigger rings. one has 18 teeth and the other 3. I even have a wiring diagram LOL but that has no module number either. It has no cam sensor also. I think my choices are in Standard Ignition part numbers either a LX348 or a LX 364 they look identical but do not know the trigger pattern they are expecting. Posibly both the same pattern for all I know. Calling Standard Ignition to as I think will be a waste of time I know calling Echlin was, kind of like teaching geometry to a dog, it looks interested but does not understand a word you are saying..LOL.. The local Buick Pontiac dealer was an equal waste of time as well. If anyone has any ideas at all I could really use some help here.
Dave

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Buick ignition module
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 09:59:10 AM »
I have in the shop a Buick v-6 well a Holden to be more specific and for the life of me can not figure out what ignition module to buy for it. It has a dead magnavox type one on it now and want to use delco type module instead. It has a dual hall effect sensor on the crank with 2 trigger rings. one has 18 teeth and the other 3. I even have a wiring diagram LOL but that has no module number either. It has no cam sensor also. I think my choices are in Standard Ignition part numbers either a LX348 or a LX 364 they look identical but do not know the trigger pattern they are expecting. Posibly both the same pattern for all I know. Calling Standard Ignition to as I think will be a waste of time I know calling Echlin was, kind of like teaching geometry to a dog, it looks interested but does not understand a word you are saying..LOL.. The local Buick Pontiac dealer was an equal waste of time as well. If anyone has any ideas at all I could really use some help here.
Dave

I hate to send you 1/2 way around the world, but you might want to post on the DLRA board.....

http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/index.php

........... they speak Holden there,

Sum

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 10:30:45 AM »
Even if I knew the holden model it would be of little use as napa does not list a holden as far as i know when I mentioned it to the guy in town he winced at the thought..LOL Plus the original used the magnavox ignition and I want the delco version as it is much better. GM canned the magnavox stuff after only a few years..

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 02:17:58 PM »
Hi Dave, we use to run that system on the even-fire Buicks in the Trans-Am series back in the late 80's. I have all the GM part #'s for the complete kit or the parts in it.
The electronics module is #25500061, the coil pack is #25500062. That was for a dual ring interrupter but it only had 3 on the i.d. and 1? (if I remember) on the o.d. That is for the ignition only system. For the EFI system they had some different stuff you wouldn't use today I'm sure  :-)

Call me and or I can fax you a copy of the information.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...