Author Topic: class clarification help please  (Read 8131 times)

Offline Unkl Ian

Re: class clarification help please
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 12:03:26 AM »
A 4 seater body style that is legal in /ALT should be legal in /CC.

More than one Ghia has run in /ALT.

This is what I have found out so far:

A long time ago the SCTA powers-to-be decided that a Ghia was a VW and that it had enough back seat to be in the coupe and sedan class area. The very similar car, the 356 Porsche was a GT and classifed as a sports car. I raced Ghias at Bonneville several years in production coupe and sedan class. Many current records are held by Ghias, H/Prod, H/Balt and others held by Larry Monrail. A Ghia ran in H/Pro or G/Pro just a couple years ago.

The RT Jones (Peanut Spec Ghia) ran in Oct at Maxton in H/Gas altered as a coupe & sedan. They are NOT GT cars unless they just changed the rules and I doubt it.

The Ghia body is the only VW I feel that could be competitive in most coupe, sedan or production classes. Possibly the Type III notch-back could be, but it has more frontal area. The Rabbit truck is also the best choice for the small mini pickup classes.

SCTA tries not to have a body that can be a G.T. and a Production coupe or sedan but it cannot be both, that happened years ago and resulted in many protests and some records that still stand to this day. The G.T. has an unfair advantage.

This is not from a "official" with SCTA, but he has run several VW's at Bonniville and therefor has the best "first hand" info offered to date.

I guess the answer is "a Secret" .

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 09:33:52 AM »
This is what I have found out so far:

A long time ago the SCTA powers-to-be decided that a Ghia was a VW and that it had enough back seat to be in the coupe and sedan class area. The very similar car, the 356 Porsche was a GT and classifed as a sports car. I raced Ghias at Bonneville several years in production coupe and sedan class. Many current records are held by Ghias, H/Prod, H/Balt and others held by Larry Monrail. A Ghia ran in H/Pro or G/Pro just a couple years ago.

SCTA tries not to have a body that can be a G.T. and a Production coupe or sedan but it cannot be both, that happened years ago and resulted in many protests and some records that still stand to this day. The G.T. has an unfair advantage.

This is not from a "official" with SCTA, but he has run several VW's at Bonniville and therefor has the best "first hand" info offered to date.

Since the wording in the rule book defining the GT car has drastically changed this year, I would suggest holding for the official word on class.  In the past, GT cars could only have 2 seats.  Any car with 4 seats, no matter how small the back was, including a padded shelf, was a sedan.  Now that the 2+2 (wonder who wants to run on of those at EM) is a GT anything might get classified as a GT.  I would follow DW's advice and get an official reading.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Unkl Ian

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 11:20:16 PM »
How do they define 2+2 ?

Offline Unkl Ian

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 04:45:22 PM »
 :?
Maybe you can get a straight answer here:
http://www.scta-bni.org/SCTA-NewWeb/Rule-QuestionForm.html

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 09:13:16 PM »
I assume 4 is the answer ? ( 2 + 2)

LOL  could not hold back.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com