Author Topic: class clarification help please  (Read 8139 times)

Offline Ray-Dean

class clarification help please
« on: April 24, 2008, 07:51:33 PM »
I am building a '71 VW Ghia to be run in BGCC or BFCC. Earlier it was pointed out that the car might have to run in MS/BMS. By my understanding, MS/BMS is for vehicles that would normally be considered as GT, but due to the modifications con not run in GT.

If that statement is true, then any vehicle running in BMS/MS would have to fit into the GT class. These are defined as "... production sports cars and coupes, as well a limited production cars by a recognized automobile manufacturer, which are primarily intended for comfortable high speed touring....."

I don't feel that a car with 54Hp, and a top speed of around 75-80 is a sports car, as defined by the rules for GT class. I could be wrong.

Can someone shed light on this for me, or point me to the person/persons who can?

Thanks.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: class clarification help please
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 10:17:09 PM »
I am building a '71 VW Ghia to be run in BGCC or BFCC. Earlier it was pointed out that the car might have to run in MS/BMS. By my understanding, MS/BMS is for vehicles that would normally be considered as GT, but due to the modifications con not run in GT.

If that statement is true, then any vehicle running in BMS/MS would have to fit into the GT class. These are defined as "... production sports cars and coupes, as well a limited production cars by a recognized automobile manufacturer, which are primarily intended for comfortable high speed touring....."

I don't feel that a car with 54Hp, and a top speed of around 75-80 is a sports car, as defined by the rules for GT class. I could be wrong.

Can someone shed light on this for me, or point me to the person/persons who can?

Thanks.

Does it have a back seat??

Sum

Offline Ray-Dean

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 10:30:11 PM »
Yes. It was designed to fit four full sized adults. The factory window sticker has it listed as a 2+2 coupe. Not sure if that helps as after '67, all the VW bus's were listed as station wagons.  :roll:

Offline GeneF

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 10:45:58 PM »
FWIW-This Ghia ran in the production class, which excludes sports and GT.

Offline Ray-Dean

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 10:50:11 PM »
Thanks. By the size of the windows, front air vents, and placement of the head lights, that is the same era body I'm using.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 11:55:57 PM »
Originally, I thought the car would fit in the GT-MS class. I see other examples of Ghias that previously ran as coupes and I am sure the SCTA would still consider it as a coupe.

I would say the car is a sports car by lines and intent, but is definitely right on the lineā€¦.could go either way. Because it was run as a coupe the decision of what body type and class was made long ago and it should still be considered a coupe.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Ray-Dean

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 08:01:18 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up. I took the time to re-read the class "definition" for CC and MS last night, and it does not matter which class I run as they allow the same modifications. I just didn't want to complete all the work, then not have a class and have to go time only.

dwarner

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 08:40:57 AM »
Once again - for class questions, rules clarifications email:

rulebookinfo@scta-bni.org

This service was put in place to help you guys out. The thought is to expidite questions and provide timely answers.

Ray-Dean,
On page 169 of the 2008 rulebook Jim Miller is listed as the GT/Mod Sports Chairperson. Jim should be your go-to guy for your class questions. Bobby Sykes Jr is the Coupe/Sedan Chair, same page right above Jim.

Bobby Sykes Jr
drylakes207@yahoo.com

Jim Miller
miller212.842@sbcglobal.net

DW

Offline Ray-Dean

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 09:18:29 AM »
Thanks again. I'll contact them for the definative answer. I was just unsure of who to contact.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 11:50:44 AM »
....... I took the time to re-read the class "definition" for CC and MS last night, and it does not matter which class I run as they allow the same modifications..............

Not quite I think the MS is a little more restrictive than CC, but might not effect what you want to do.

Sum

Offline Ray-Dean

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 02:30:50 PM »
Not quite I think the MS is a little more restrictive than CC, but might not effect what you want to do.

Sum

Guess I worded that wrong. For what I want to do, it will not matter.

I have sent off an email to Jim Miller on the subject.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 09:42:40 PM »
You will have better luck calling Jim. He stays up till about 10:00 PST and much prefers to have a call as apposed to email.....at least that is how he put it to me anyway!

Jim is good people, he will be glad to hear from you.

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

John Romero

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 09:48:36 PM »
FWIW-This Ghia ran in the production class, which excludes sports and GT.

That car is up for sale now for $15,900. Have no idea what powerplant/parts/etc is included with it.
http://californiaclassix.com/showroom.html

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 10:47:52 PM »
I believe the car was the fastest with a VW Rabbit engine in the stock location. It also achieved SCTA #1 points champ once.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Ray-Dean

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 11:20:48 PM »
This is what I have found out so far:

A long time ago the SCTA powers-to-be decided that a Ghia was a VW and that it had enough back seat to be in the coupe and sedan class area. The very similar car, the 356 Porsche was a GT and classifed as a sports car. I raced Ghias at Bonneville several years in production coupe and sedan class. Many current records are held by Ghias, H/Prod, H/Balt and others held by Larry Monrail. A Ghia ran in H/Pro or G/Pro just a couple years ago.

The RT Jones (Peanut Spec Ghia) ran in Oct at Maxton in H/Gas altered as a coupe & sedan. They are NOT GT cars unless they just changed the rules and I doubt it.

The Ghia body is the only VW I feel that could be competitive in most coupe, sedan or production classes. Possibly the Type III notch-back could be, but it has more frontal area. The Rabbit truck is also the best choice for the small mini pickup classes.

SCTA tries not to have a body that can be a G.T. and a Production coupe or sedan but it cannot be both, that happened years ago and resulted in many protests and some records that still stand to this day. The G.T. has an unfair advantage.

This is not from a "official" with SCTA, but he has run several VW's at Bonniville and therefor has the best "first hand" info offered to date.