Author Topic: Arley Langlo, new streamliner  (Read 26630 times)

Offline bvillercr

Arley Langlo, new streamliner
« on: April 23, 2008, 10:30:45 PM »
As you can see this is the early stage of his build.  I beam for accuracy. 

wheels and tires.  Rear tires are 30" Mickey Thompsons.

I believe he will be running multiple size engines, a 260 cid, 300 cid and maybe one of our 500 plus engines.

Dual rear ends.

Not sure of the type of rear end they are.  The forward tires will be wider than the rear tires so the body can tapper in at the back.

Offline jl222

Re: Arley Langlo, new streamliner
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 12:56:59 AM »

I took these pictures when i was in Santa Barbara last weekend for a family reuinion.
     The rear ends are champ style but made from solid billet aluminum by Brian Gary son of Pat Gary another landspeed racer. The 33 ft. long I beam comes from Seth Hammond's shop.
     Arley is having a hard time getting the wheel manufacture to start on the wheels,same on special shaft connecting the rearends. One time deals you know.
      Avery Galbraith and Jim Wilson an aerodynamist are working on the body shape. they have a high dollar computer program they are able to use through a special deal.
       Anyhow a lot of work ahead but Arleys wanted to build a streamliner for 30+ years.

JL222

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 10:28:23 AM »

I took these pictures when i was in Santa Barbara last weekend for a family reuinion.
     The rear ends are champ style but made from solid billet aluminum by Brian Gary son of Pat Gary another landspeed racer. The 33 ft. long I beam comes from Seth Hammond's shop.
     Arley is having a hard time getting the wheel manufacture to start on the wheels,same on special shaft connecting the rearends. One time deals you know.
      Avery Galbraith and Jim Wilson an aerodynamist are working on the body shape. they have a high dollar computer program they are able to use through a special deal.
       Anyhow a lot of work ahead but Arleys wanted to build a streamliner for 30+ years.

JL222

Thanks for posting the pictures.  The rearends are a piece of art. 

I wonder about the reasoning behind the two rearends though??  I can fully understand 4 wheel drive (front/rear) on a streamliner and can see it is the only way to go for speeds over 400.  With it all of the cars weight is going into providing traction.  With the 4 wheel drive only in the back it would seem that you are only still using the weight in the back half of the car and haven't really gained anything.  I'm probably missing something here.

Keep the pictures coming,

Sum

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 11:34:12 AM »
I remember a dual-hemi-engined blown fuel Messershmidt (sp?) Comp Coupe at Bakersfied in about '59 with tucked in rear ends -- the narrow in the front, though.  Perhaps he could find another I-beam and use them as frame rails?  Lotsa traction there!

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline John Burk

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 03:25:50 PM »
There is a curve in traction vs unit pressure . 4 tires with 400# each have slightly more grip than 2 with 800# each .
John

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 03:28:20 PM »
There is a curve in traction vs unit pressure . 4 tires with 400# each have slightly more grip than 2 with 800# each .
John

I could see that being an advantage, but how much and vs. if the other two were at the other end of the car.  I'm not trying to second guess the builders as I've done some things myself that others don't agree with, but I'm trying to figure the whole deal out better,

Sum

Offline jl222

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 11:30:16 PM »

Sum

Their working on a wing type.

JL222

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 12:41:14 PM »
it's been a while.

anybody have any info on how arley's 'liner is coming?

details?

body style?

pictures?

pictures?

pictures?
gregory w. gillette
aka: monty wolf (not monte wolfe)

"fear is never boring!"

read all about it: http://montywolf.blogspot.com/

Offline jl222

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 03:48:42 PM »

Arley and his tuner Jay Roach wants to wait on pictures untill its done. Big suprise :roll:

JL222

Hope his chute doesn't pop early :-D

dwarner

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 04:48:03 PM »
That part will have to be re-engineered.

DW

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 04:51:27 PM »
i'd like to know if it is 6-wheel-drive or 4?

flat-sided?
gregory w. gillette
aka: monty wolf (not monte wolfe)

"fear is never boring!"

read all about it: http://montywolf.blogspot.com/

Offline jl222

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 06:31:04 PM »
i'd like to know if it is 6-wheel-drive or 4?

flat-sided?

4 wheel drive

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 12:09:07 AM »

Hi Rob

This is what my cousin Arley is doing to increase traction

Arley has the frame and front axel almost done and the shaft is made that connects the rear ends.

JL222 :cheers:

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 04:05:06 PM »
John

Can you tell me more about this traction curve? How much more grip will the extra tires give? Our rear tires (only drive wheels) have about 1400lbs a piece on them now. Would it be any traction advantage to running them slightly offset from the other set of drive tires even though it would be less aero efficient?
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 04:13:35 PM »
I remember a dual-hemi-engined blown fuel Messershmidt (sp?) Comp Coupe at Bakersfied in about '59 with tucked in rear ends -- the narrow in the front, though.  Perhaps he could find another I-beam and use them as frame rails?  Lotsa traction there!

Stan
That was the Colburn Glaze car,comp. coupe. But others have tried it as well. Les Liggett was going to build a liner several years ago with the same concept.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah