Author Topic: Arley Langlo, new streamliner  (Read 26593 times)

Offline racergeo

Re: Arley Langlo, new streamliner
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 05:51:28 PM »
  Why not a more high tech wing that produces more down force with very little drag? That way you don't have the loses of an extra diff and 2 tires yet you still have the down force neccessary to go say 386 like MR Fast Freddy.

Offline jl222

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 11:47:10 PM »
  Why not a more high tech wing that produces more down force with very little drag? That way you don't have the loses of an extra diff and 2 tires yet you still have the down force neccessary to go say 386 like MR Fast Freddy.

Double the contack patch double the traction and I have been advocating variable pitch wings for years. Arley's aero guy is working on a wing type also. High tech wing sounds great getting or developing one is another.

JL222

Offline JimL

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 01:51:07 AM »
I was thinking about that traction issue, and wondered if running a flat crank wouldn't be to your advantage?  Honda won several world motorcycle GP championships by stagger firing a V3 2-stroke to get uneven torque input events to the drive wheel.  On the really slippery tracks they had the option of firing all 3 cylinders together!  They also learned that you need to fire like a Harley, if you want to beat a Harley coming off the turns on dirt tracks.

Big traction improvement, there.  I think they already make these cranks/cam setups for Sprint cars....something like 2 cylinders together, then 2 in a row, then a different 2 together, then 2 in a row....kind of like a weird 6 pattern.

Interesting project...fun to read about and thanks!!
JimL
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 01:54:52 AM by JimL »

Offline JimL

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 01:54:00 AM »
....or you may need all 6 AND flat crank firing!  This sounds like a pretty big power project!!

JimL
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 01:55:31 AM by JimL »

Offline jl222

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 02:14:45 PM »

Yea Jim ... theres a lot to learn about traction in LSR. I mostly raced off road desert but I got real frustrated in a motorcross race trying to pass a Husquvarna in the turns on a sandy course when he would just pull away when I was just spinning my tire. But this was due more to suspension setup than firing order.
  I'm looking foward to the new Hebert streamliner as its fully suspended and the crew chief knows all about spring-wheel rates-suspension points and how to make adjustments.

JL222

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 03:06:57 PM »
Automatically pull out a left rear spring rubber at the four?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jl222

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 03:17:51 PM »
Automatically pull out a left rear spring rubber at the four?

No put one in :-D

JL222

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 04:10:54 PM »
Wouldn't that require a sidecar and a monkey???
Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Freud

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 10:33:30 PM »
There ain't no f'ing sidecars in Arlies life.

He's as old school as Freddie Dannenfelzer.

They come from the same zip code.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 11:40:15 PM »
I figured someone would have to ride along to add the spring rubber on the go. LOL
Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Freud

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2009, 01:16:19 AM »
He Don't Use No Stinkin' Rubbers.

FREUD
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:49:13 AM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2009, 10:15:02 AM »
I think that's what they call "going bareback", Freud.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2009, 11:31:57 PM »
Cmon guys. Anymore info on that traction curve? Is it really double? I wouldn't think so.
If it's over 70% more, I might be calling Timney tomorrow to order another Extremeliner. I would also think that each one would only have to take half the engine torque. I am concerned about breaking ours as we are over 1500 lbs/ft of torque.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline jl222

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2009, 03:05:34 PM »
Cmon guys. Anymore info on that traction curve? Is it really double? I wouldn't think so.
If it's over 70% more, I might be calling Timney tomorrow to order another Extremeliner. I would also think that each one would only have to take half the engine torque. I am concerned about breaking ours as we are over 1500 lbs/ft of torque.

Whats an extremeliner? There's several books on handling and tire traction curves my favorite is Carroll Smiths book ''Tune To Win''
also Herb Adams ''Chassis Engineering'' The trouble with Lsr is that not a lot of people do it so not as much is learned as in other types of racing. We built our AA blown gas altered 20 years ago and just a handfull have been built since then,same as in A to E. Not much competiion to learn or get pushed foward from.

JL222

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2009, 05:58:42 PM »
Extremeliner is the Winter's quick change that we use. I like doubling the total contact area but I'm new to this salt stuff and things that I would think would make sense may or may not work.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com