Author Topic: streamliner frame question  (Read 3232 times)

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
streamliner frame question
« on: April 22, 2008, 08:58:32 AM »
Can a `liner`s frame be made in sections that bolt together aslong as the drivers area is welded? I`m thinking this would be an easy way to put a 30` car in a 22` trailer. The sections would be fully welded and use slip-tubes w/ thru bolts to join them. Might even allow the drive train to seperate and shed weight in the event of a crash. Thoughts/facts?  Jerry
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: streamliner frame question
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 11:21:19 AM »
There are a couple of bolt together cars. If you have plans to do it I suggest you submit drawings to the SCTA special construction car committee. Also on the SCTA web site there is a rules question and answer section that Dan Warner would like people to use for construction and rule book help. Good luck on the project.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline SteveM

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 05:35:49 PM »
Glen:
   I don't want this to come across wrong, and I know it's difficult to express "tone" in writing on an internet forum.  I'm a complete newbie, but enjoy this forum very much.  I appreciate all the hard work that has gone into creating this site and forum.  I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but if rules-related questions should be directed to the SCTA page, then why does this forum for "SCTA Rule Questions" exist?  Again, I am a nice guy and not trying to start any kind of disagreement, just wondering out loud if this forum should even exist if all rules questions should actually be submitted to SCTA website.

Thanks for any input.

SteveM.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Freud

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 06:43:45 PM »
Steve, what if floyd didn't know that the SCTA Rule Question section was available? He found out here and that's all that matters.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 07:40:59 PM »
Steve, asking questions are part of this site and very helpful to everyone. Dan Warner is the one who requested that questions that are SCTA rule book items be ask on their site. One of the reasons is to be able to track these questions and get an official answer from SCTA.

This web site is great and should be used for LSR. However if someone gives out information and shows up at a meet only to find out it was wrong then they say Joe Blow told me it was ok won't fly. It's for everyones protection to assure it meets the rule book requirements. Dan has many years at what he does and is 100 % for the racer.

Hope this helps you understand the reason.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 12:06:26 AM »
I would say that you can 100% have sections that bolt together. There is nothing about a mandatory one piece  frame section rule anywhere in the book and there is no reason that a bolt together section could not exhibit the same structural integrity of a constant section.

Take into consideration that what you are asking is somewhat unconventional, and by proxy how you approach connecting two sections and its structural viability could very well be left up to the discretion of the inspector.

Bolting a section together can be achieved many different ways, and as with any cat to skin, some ways may be better than others. So to answer your question, my response would be yes, but I would get confirmation if your method would be acceptable.

-JH
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 12:12:03 AM by Jonny Hotnuts »
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline SteveM

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 08:06:15 AM »
Glen:
   Thanks for the response.  I think I get it now.  This forum is a great place for discussion of rules-related issues, but is sort of an informal discussion.  If anybody wants an official answer, it's best to contact SCTA directly.

Thanks again,

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

dwarner

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 08:47:53 AM »
Steve,

This site and the forums were in place before the new rules/classification service was started this year.

The email address:

rulebookinfo@scta-bni.org

will direct any questions/concerns to the proper people. Another resource is pages 168 & 169 of your 2008 rulebook. Each of the class chairpersons are listed and they are direct links to your class of choice.

I am not discouraging questions on the forum because many items can be directly answered here. The email address is for official responses if you are on the fence about what you gather here.

DW