Author Topic: My first trip to Maxton  (Read 4099 times)

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
My first trip to Maxton
« on: April 09, 2008, 11:23:29 PM »
It was a long trip down (750 miles)and the problems we had going through Charlotte at 5pm on Thurs. night (82 miles in 3 hours) made me wonder if I would ever make the trip again! We found a better route back and NOT driving in the rain for 750 miles made it an enjoyable trip. We came back through South Carolina and caught I20 then I26 up to Ashville NC. It made for a much more enjoyable trip with beautiful scenery.
With the full day on Friday for tech inspection and Saturday waiting out the rain, we made some new friendships with a few racers and with the hospitality of the ECTA volunteers and the NC locals, I thoroughly enjoyed the down time.
We went to the 2007 awards banquet on Saturday night and enjoyed some good Carolina barbeque and funny stories about the past racing season.
The racing didn't get underway until late Sunday morning after the track dried out. I had a new set of Mikuni's on the bike and started with the same settings I had on the 38mm TM's. These were the older 38mm VM's and I found out they use the same jets, but they obviously don't work the same.
I was able to only get in 2 tuning runs with adjustments made from the data logger. The first "best guess" run with 240 jets only allowed me to run up to about 5-6k rpm and with the fogged glasses, I only got to 102.585 mph.
I up-sized the jets after reading the logged data to 260 and got in line to run again. The second run went much better since I left the glasses in the pits and could see the track this time! The jet change let me get to about 7400 rpm before it went too lean and I had to throttle back when it started cutting out. The good thing about this run was the top speed was 111.860 mph. That beat the record speed of 110.974 mph.
With the new carbs and the several tuning runs that are required at the track altitude to get them dialed in, I think I could have added up to 20+ mph with the proper set-up if I had the 2 days to run, but I'll take what I got.

I have to apologize for the blurry pic. I found the spot on the left side of my camera lense on the way back :(

We arrived in North Carolina Thursday night and got to the track early Friday morning...

We drove by the entrance the first time there because it just didn't look like any more than a muddy road...

We turned around after we realized that was the right road. the ECTA crew was just starting set-up, so we found a place to park in the pit area and started unloading...

« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 11:39:15 PM by Rchop »
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
Re: My first trip to Maxton
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 11:24:42 PM »
The race participants started to arrive and tech inspection would start about noon...

This was Joe Daly's bike...

Joe and his brother Tom and friend Dave were a lot of fun and made the down time during the rain enjoyable.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 11:40:25 PM by Rchop »
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 11:25:46 PM »
One of my favorite cars of all time showed up next to our pit...

And then his competition showed up...

www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 11:26:23 PM »
Here are some more cars ready to race...

www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 11:27:22 PM »
This car is owned by a really nice guy named Dave Wilson. Dave just bought the car and was driving it for the first time. It is an RX7 body with a full race Ford 351.

www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 11:28:11 PM »
These 3 pics are from a company called Factory Five. The make replica race cars from the ground up...

www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 11:30:15 PM »
There were about 50 motorcycle entries...

www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 11:31:08 PM »
We all sit on the bikes and run through the first pass in our heads...

www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 11:32:08 PM »
The only bad part about this type of racing is waiting to run...

www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 11:33:01 PM »
I finally made it to the starting line and got a chance to run...

www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 11:33:42 PM »
After tech inspection, I got a chance to run the course a few times on the Triumph Scrambler. I was trying to find the best line and took my camera with me on the last run. This was the starting line...

there were quite a few patches and I decided to keep right of the center line until the 3 patch was passed...

the course evened out in the center...

as soon as I saw the big patches coming up, I would fade to the left of the centerline to the smooth new asphalt...

« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 11:41:53 PM by Rchop »
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 11:34:31 PM »
The smoothest part was still to the left through the timing lights...

www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 11:35:15 PM »
This is the first part of the .9 mile rundown area...

You can see the first turn-out on the right that is 1/2 mile from the timing area...

Following that is a slight right hand dog-leg to the final rundown area...

This is the first right hand turn out as you go by...

www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 11:36:11 PM »
If you can't make the first turn-out, you have to go to the last one...

The last turn-out is 1.9 miles from the starting line...

This is the return road from the last turn-out back to the pits...

www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc