Author Topic: trailer aero  (Read 10199 times)

Offline jimmy six

Re: trailer aero
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2008, 11:44:10 PM »
Sumner has the answer. I built a teardrop trail for my trailering my 39 Indian Sport Scout to shows (glad I got over that period of my life) It's 9-1/2' long and 4' wide and a little over 4' tall. The roof splits in the center right where the first 4 x 8 luan panel stopped. Just seemed like a good spot.  The rear deck/trunk lifts up for a complete opening. I used thinwall tubing to hold it up but I'm sure air lifts could be used. It has independant style rubber axle stubs and I use widend fiberglass Indian front fenders; 6.70 -15 tires. About a 1000# with the bike inside. I never knew ir was there when towing with my 96 Ford F-150. Ran within 1 mpg with or without it. The only thing I would have done different would be to roll under the lower front, about a 6" radii. for more aero.

Someday I'll covert it to a camping trailer to tow behind my Honda Civic HX. ...............Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline salt27

Re: trailer aero
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2008, 11:54:59 PM »
When towing my v-nose trailer I get about 3 mpg less than when using my flatbed trailer with the same load, how ever the flatbed is about 1000 lbs lighter.
I changed three of our vehicles over to synthetic oil [mobile 1] and found no difference in mpg, [we drive 75K annually] so back to Delo 400.
Just my 2ยข, Don