Author Topic: 200 mph club again--  (Read 6176 times)

Offline Flyboy

• Graduate National Test Pilots School,
    • http://WWW.SKYDANCERLE.COM
200 mph club again--
« on: April 09, 2008, 12:16:48 AM »
It appeared to me that all the 200 mph threads are all locked.

In the old days of aviation, (I wasn't around), we started out with the 100 mph club. And then there was the 200 mph club. Yes, aerodynamics and engine hp improved during that time. And there was the "sound of speed club"... then the "twice of speed sound" club. And, believe it or not, each pilot was welcomed with open arms by his fellow pilots when he passed through each milestone.

As a biker I can only comment on the behalf of bikers...

Yes, bikes are improving with more hp and better aerodynamics, but with the 186 hp rule and the fact that factory aerodynamics are about as good as they are going to get...  achieving 200 mph is quite an accomplishment at Bonneville with it's high density altitude where hp is lost compared to sea level accomplishments. If the 200 club is going to have minimums it should designate between Bonneville and NC/Texas where there is a great hp difference. Granted, each venue has it's own records and that's the way it should be but achieving a speed of 200 mph should be an accomplishment in it's own, especially when one can not count on the wind and must go 200 mph each way. 

Another aspect to think about is whether the 200 minimums are a function of money. Anybody on this site can reach the 200 minimums with their car/bike if they have enough money. Even if you aren't a mechanic, you can always hire someone with expertise to work on your vehicle. The new vehicle created by Fossett and company is not worked on my Steve Fossett, even if he were alive. If any record is achieved, if the vehicle ever runs, will go to the vehicle and not necesary the rider. Bottom line is a vehicle's speed is a function of money and not necessarily the vehicle/rider, therefore a rider should become a member of a club if he and his vehicle achieve that speed. I say it's time to grow and get the 250 mph club going. One of my favorite sayings in life is that "you are either growing... or dying". Do away with minimums and set the bar up higher.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 11:39:53 AM by Flyboy »
One Fast ZX-14
Three World and Four AMA Land Speed Records
One Fast Cessna Turbo 210

Offline willieworld

Re: 200 mph club again--
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 12:46:32 AM »
truer words were never spoken  thanks  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 11:17:20 AM »
I wish everyone would respect Jon's request that we lay the 200 mph club/minimums to rest for a while.  If you feel the need to keep bringing them up please take them to another web site.

This is not a matter of if I think or you think there should be more discussion.  It is Jon's site and his decission and a number of us support him in it and if you don't then I think it is a small concession on your part that is being asked of you to keep this site up and viable.

Thanks,

Sum
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 11:23:04 AM by Sumner »

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 12:12:45 PM »
Man I didn't know a simple question could open up a major can of worms!!  :roll:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 02:13:06 PM »
Sorry guys but this subject needs to be discussed in PRIVATE or on another site!!!!  we are here to race and learn how to go faster!!!!!!!!! not rub each other RAW and try to rub SALT in the wounds!!!!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 10:19:10 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 02:17:57 PM »
Amen
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 09:14:50 PM »
Contact the 2 Club directly---they have a site that can be reached through the BNI-SCTA site!!! 

I appologize if I have offended anyone by deleteing their posts---But I will continue to do so until Jon tells me differently!

IF you must VENT  I suggest you find a new subject or do it somewhere else...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 10:18:18 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline joea

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 09:31:36 PM »
remember......as a biker...doesnt mean.....you can speak
on behalf of bikers..... :-)

money is a route.....with no guaranteed success......there are other paths.........

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 11:56:39 PM »
Hey, gang -

Sparky moved this topic over by me, and as long as Jon doesn't think it's getting out of hand, I'll gladly entertain the conversation here, with the following caveats:

Keep your thoughts and comments on topic.

No personal attacks of anyone or any organization.

No bashing.

If I see anything that I wouldn't want a Sunday School teacher hearing, it will be deleted.

I know this topic is passionate to many of you, and that there are strong opinions out there.  But my grandmother had a saying - "Let your words be sweet and tender, because tomorrow, you may have to eat them".  Take your time before your hit the "post" button, and remember, sometimes less is more.

Feel free to PM me if something gets posted that you think is inappropriate.

Chris 

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

dwarner

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 12:17:14 AM »
There are things that can be done by the club membership if they are unhappy with the direction of the club.

In addition to the mentioned process of contacting the club directly there are elections every two years. There is a general membership meeting held at the salt every Speedweek. These are a couple of places to express your wishes for the club.

Last year we had maybe 30 people in attendance at the membership meeting. In the three years I have been on the board I have not seen more than six people step up to be placed on the ballot. If the board is not to your liking there is a process to fix it.

I hope to see many more members involved in the near future.

DW

Offline Flyboy

• Graduate National Test Pilots School,
    • http://WWW.SKYDANCERLE.COM
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 12:23:06 AM »
Why was my earlier post deleted with no explanation?  I have lost respect all for this site and the small minded moderators that run it--
One Fast ZX-14
Three World and Four AMA Land Speed Records
One Fast Cessna Turbo 210

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 12:44:30 AM »
We seek to have this fourm remain for us to use for LSR .--not Personal Agitation--my apology sir; for my facists pea brain conclusion about your post will not happen again--

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 12:51:47 AM »
Guy and Gals..

If these theads keep getting locked/deleted please let me know and I will instruct to where these issues can be discussed/talked about without fear of being deleted..(free speach)..

John Noonan
quickturbo@aol.com

J