Author Topic: Removable Door Bars for Roll Cage?  (Read 14271 times)

Offline SteveM

Removable Door Bars for Roll Cage?
« on: April 08, 2008, 05:01:30 PM »
I did a search on the topic, but couldn't find an answer to this question.  Are removable door bars permissible for Production cars?  I'm itching to start building a turbodiesel powered '87 Mercedes 190D 2.5 Turbo to run at Bonneville. This is a 4-door "baby benz".   It's been a lifelong dream for me (I'm about to turn 40 years old).  I want to be realistic and try to get into the USFRA 130 club, then work towards the 150 club, then eventually into full scale SCTA racing (production supercharged class I believe).

I do not expect to break a record with this car (the existing record is well over 200 mph now), but I'd like to earn some diesel / biodiesel / veggie-oil powered braggin rights.

Anyway, as I look at the design of the car and the required cage, I can see that a removable door bar would be advantageous with the 4-door configuration.  I believe it would be OK for the 130 and 150 clubs, but how about in the Big Leagues of SCTA?   With the 4-door configuration, the main hoop would have to be behind the front door opening, as opposed to in-line with the door opening as on most 2-door cars.  The smaller door opening makes for more difficulty with respect to entry and exit to the car, so the removable door bar would allow a little more ease of entry/exit.

Thanks for providing a great forum, and I look forward to my first Bonneville trip.

SteveM.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Removable Door Bars for Roll Cage?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 05:22:46 PM »
My question to you is the seat stock. If so you would need to put in a race / rule approved seat. This might help you in the roll bar placement. A sketch of what you have in mind would best be sent to the committee to look at.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline SteveM

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 05:35:13 PM »
Glen:
   Thanks for the timely response.  Thanks for the rminder that the seat will have to be a racing unit.  I just got my rulebook a week or so ago, and have been trying to absorb as much as possible while I daydream about the project.  Getting the seat lower in the car will help with the access. 

I am somewhat familiar with the NHRA guidelines for roll cages, and I am fully aware that SCTA requirements are not the same as NHRA.  As a rule of thumb, I understand that the door bar should extend from the main hoop and intersect the driver's arm (not literally) at a location midway between the elbow and shoulder, and then extend to the lower front corner of the door opening.

My inquiry is whether or not a removable bar, as used with some of the commonly available (i.e Chris Alston Chassisworks style configurations) roll cages will be permissible.  It sounds like I need to put together more of a sketch to show the geometry and the type of fasteners used for such a bar.

Thanks again,

SteveM.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 06:09:45 PM »
Steve
What area do you live, there might be someone local that could look at what you are wanting to do.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 06:11:44 PM »
Steve, no cage or special seat required for 130 club, 150 requires a cage, but not scta spec.  Run the 130 club this year, look at how others are doing their 150 and scta cages.  130 should be fun...  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 06:47:36 PM »
Stainless, he asked about SCTA thats why I answered. Why do it twice if he has long term plans to run speedweek. That's why I answered it that way. If he is only planning on the 130 club thats ok too. The reason we changed the rule was because of a stock seat and what happend because of it at the lakes. One can't be to safe.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 07:21:40 PM »
Here are some pictures of a cage that is removable and the reason I took the pictures as I want something like this in my truck, so I can run it at an SCTA event.  I feel like an idiot as I forgot the owners name at the moment.  I know he is in SDRC, so someone pipe in on the car owner.  The car has run a little over 150 if I remember right and is a street driven street rod/hot rod.  A really nice car.

I'm not sure if it has run in the last few years and the pictures were taken in 2001, so I'm not sure if it is currently legal, but someone probably knows.

Good luck on your project and I think making it SCTA legal to begin with is a smart move,

Sum

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 07:23:09 PM »
The rest,

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 07:26:13 PM »
Looks like Pat Riely's car but I may be wrong.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 07:55:28 PM »
another one................. (MacDonald & Pitts #135) ..
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 10:48:06 AM by Sumner »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 08:02:49 PM »
That looks like the McDonald-Pitts car.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Don Brent

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 08:38:29 PM »
The purple and cream interior looks like Chuck Edwall's Cad powered coupe.  He is the SDRC secretary.
Don

Someday I have to give up on flatheads.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 10:42:50 PM »
Steve, after you run the 130 club this year you will have an idea if this the the vehicle you want to invest the time and cash in to make a race car.  Realistically, get it to go 130 first, that will be your fist hurdle....  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 10:47:07 PM »
The purple and cream interior looks like Chuck Edwall's Cad powered coupe.  He is the SDRC secretary.

Yep, that is the name I was trying to come up with.  Hope he doesn't give me a hard time in the minutes next month  8-).  I just love the car and thought I had a picture of it and I'm sure I do, but can't find it.

Sum

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 10:47:33 PM »
Definitly Chuck's '38 Ford Coupe. Driven to El Mirage and Bonneville, swapped tires, added lead, raced, and driven home, usually. After the rule change on seats ride home felt a lot longer.