Author Topic: April 2008 Maxton Report  (Read 4588 times)

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
April 2008 Maxton Report
« on: April 08, 2008, 01:07:21 PM »
Introduction the BeeQueen! This is the girly “improved” version of the B-King! :lol:

So this is it guys, I’m running Naked Nitrous this year! It’s the best chance I have to get a record on my own bike within my own budget and with the help of my awesome sponsors!

In my opinion the first meet was an outstanding success for Twin Jugs Racing and our many and generous sponsors. As you can see, many changes have been made to the configuration of the bike over the winter. 95% of the work was done by Debbie with Todd still on board as consultant, master fabricator and trackside tuner & maintenance! Conditions were not the best this meet. Saturday was rained out by flowing rain with the flooding in the pits unlike anything we’ve seen in our 8 years of racing at Maxton. But as is the norm, we were able to get the track dry enough to race on Sunday. Racing started a bit late Sunday due to the damp track & misting in the morning. Most people were able to make 2 runs with just a select few managing 3.

Like I said we did a lot of changes and didn’t get as much pre-tuning in as we had wanted. In fact, we spent the rain out Saturday finishing and reworking some items.

I’ve never run unfaired (naked) before and wasn’t even able to get any street miles in before the meet so we went racing cold turkey! My first pass was done on straight motor. We had the juice plugged in “just in case” but I wasn’t ready to hit it! My first run came in at 171.650! What an absolute blast! It was a shakeout run for me since I had so many new things to consider! I felt like it was in the 175 range so I was excited when the speed was in the ballpark.

A quick hey hello in the pits to some internet friends with a brief photo op & back in line we went. The 2 hour wait for the next run gave us plenty of time to reflect & double check the first run. Everything was looking encouraging. I felt like I could use a few more acclimation runs but was told this would be my last run of the day as they were about to shut down pre-staging. The logical decision was to run all systems go. If it was too much too soon I had the option to back out. So that’s what we did.

The second pass was with the nitrous set on progressive. It started on in 3rd gear and ramped up through 4th into 5th. I’m still getting back in the swing from the long winter so I wasn’t as quick to the draw as I could have been! All was going well although my track placement was a little off for my liking. Then the shift from 4th into 5th… knocked me up off the tank & into the wind. We had a moment of squirlieness but I’m not sure if I hit the shift on a crack/transition in the track or if the force of the shift got my arms a little crooked. So the remainder of 5th & 6th gear was spent with me having fallen out of tuck, fighting to get back down out of the wind, transitioning the bike further to the left to trap (steering at that point scrubs off speed) and just plain trying to hang on & get it straight. I clearly didn’t have all my ducks in a row through the last 2 gears and rolled on & off the throttle a bit as I tried to adjust. So essentially I didn’t do a full nitrous pass.

All that being said, I finished the run with success. I was laughing at myself for how I was flailing about in the top two gears. I came through the traps with my helmet pulling back choking me thinking two more seconds and I can breathe! :lol: It was by far the most fun run I’ve had on my bike!!! The end was a mess, I had a blast and my first naked nitrous run was 184.505. Just 4 mile an hour under the existing record. Between botching the run and running into a 12 mile an hour direct & constant head wind I was absolutely ecstatic!!! I feel confident that if I had the chance of another run that I had a real good shot at getting a record! What a great feeling after only my second run on a new set up!!! I can’t wait to get back to the next meet & give it another go!!!

All of our planning and mods worked great! We had a really awesome meet & got to see a lot of old and new friends. This was by far one of our best meets in a long time!

A giant thanks to all of these folks that have helped me launch this new setup:
My best friend, partner, husband, crew chief, master fabricator/tuner Todd Dross (NARider).
Boost by Smith, BrendanP, Brocks Performance, Busaman66, Cycle-Tek, Dave Owen, Duncan Motorsports, The FBR Shop, Ellen (&) Scott Guthrie Racing, Spider Grips, Thunder Composites, Tiger Racing, Twin Jugs Cycle, Warp12 Racing
Also thanks to Dean (I don’t think he’s on the internet), my main man crew member who I only know as a Maxton local, I don’t even know his last name, but he is now an outstanding member of our pit crew! :thumb:

The pictures:
This was Saturday:

Deb being teched in by Jon W

Ellen & Scott Guthrie with Deb

Al, Deb & Dean (Starter volunteer on the right, don’t know her name but she did a great job!)

Deb & Dean

Photo op with a couple internet friends after my 171 run.

Dean, Deb & Todd’s new truck (1996 F-350 4x4 7.3litre turbo PowerStroke diesel!)

SCTA Hooligans Dan Warner & Alan “Fogy” Fogliadini. These two are a rolling roadshow!

Breakfast with Alan:

Debbie
“where’s that heavy duty velcro”
#1302 Twin Jugs Racing

« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 01:18:11 PM by DahMurf »
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: April 2008 Maxton Report
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 01:15:04 PM »
Deb
Great report and pictures, glad it went well for you. Watch out for the two west coasters.
Glen :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 01:20:29 PM »
Wow Deb, that is so neat for you!!  I'm really impressed and your report clearly shows that it isn't as simple as getting on the bike and twisting the throttle until you get to the lights.  I'm sure you are going to get a record next month and I'll miss not being there to see you do it, so take lots of pictures and post them. 

Good luck and hope to talk to you tonight on chat,

Sum

Offline Geo

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 01:23:37 PM »
Great for you Deb!  Love the story and photos.  Go for that record girl!

Seems you finally figured out the cones

Geo

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 01:48:48 PM »
Great for you Deb!  Love the story and photos.  Go for that record girl!

Seems you finally figured out the cones

Geo

LOL no actually, I forgot to mention, they made the shutdown so dang wide & set it up with little cones, I swear I could land speed race a semi now & not hit them!!!! well.. ok, maybe I exaggerate a little.. but yeah, cones were a major non-issue! Track repairs & new width totally rocks!!!

Deb

Offline Rocky R

• Author/Land Speed Racing Site
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 03:19:16 PM »
Fantastic! Even after darned near getting blown off your bike you were still smiling ear to ear. I love it...

Rocky

Offline TURBO KING

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 11:56:50 PM »
Congrats, Deb!  Glad you did so well.  Great to see you and Todd, and thanks Todd for the help prepping Mike's bike.  One more run and you would have had the record Deb!  184 naked is hauling!

Walt
RCC Super Ultra Kit
Harry's Case/Head Mods
Built, tuned, ridden and owned by me
635 honest rwhp, capable of more
244 mph at Maxton
Top Speed Overall Maxton 2007
Winner 2007 Super Streetbike Magazine Top Speed Shootout
Thanks Richard P, DaveO, Rick S

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 02:16:10 AM »
Debbie,

You Rock!  !!  ! ! ! !

John

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 09:39:56 AM »
Here is another pic - Notice the large smile after her first pass.  Congratulations Deb -
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 09:51:58 AM »
Couple more - Deb on the turn headed to the start line with Todd Following.  Because of the last bit of road to the start line being in bad shape with the rain everyone was brought the last couple hundred yards to the start line via the course itself in groups of 10-15.  Racing was held up a bit as It slowed things a little bit but the officials made it work.  Great job to Kieth, Joe, Dan and crew for making it work!

I have quite a few pictures from those making the turn - I will post up on photobucket tonight and give out the link.

Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 09:52:40 AM »
Congrats on the successful runs, Deb. The bike looks great, I snuck a few close looks in the tech line  :-D

Randy

Also, congrats to you and Todd on the awards Saturday night.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 05:24:51 PM by Rchop »
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 02:02:31 PM »
I can't believe that I didn't add my "CONGRATULATIONS" to the chorus.  And to both of you, as well.

HUGS
Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 04:11:59 PM »
Thanks guys! It was a pleasant and unexpected surprise! (that doesn't happen often with us!  :-D ) (I mean the second one, obviously we all saw the first one coming ahemm... a mile away!  :lol: ) It was also the best it could have been being the three of us together!  :-) We are very appreciative & humbled to be on that list!

Deb