Author Topic: TiN Coatings  (Read 2109 times)

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
TiN Coatings
« on: April 08, 2008, 03:07:28 AM »
A very nice gentleman who drinks in my local has very kindly offered to TiN coat all my gearbox components (not the bearings just the gears etc)for me and i was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the process,It will not produce any more power from the engine but may negate some of the losses from the delivery through the gearbox.what do you think a worthy exercise?
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline gazza414

Re: TiN Coatings
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 03:27:12 AM »
Oz, if you google PVD that should get you started on the right track.

here is a fork leg off a motorbike..manufacturers claim less "stiction" forces...the gold section is the TiN lick of a coating

« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 03:44:31 AM by gazza414 »
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice

Offline edweldon

Re: TiN Coatings
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 08:50:17 PM »
I speak from no real level of hands on experience with TiN coatings except that they cut down wear on cutting tools.  But if they change friction behavior you probably don't want that on your synchronizers.  Also thrust washers have to wear in a bit to accomodate small misalignments in the gearbox.  Doesn't sound good there either.  Wear debris from the coating due to point of contact damage in the gear teeth may be reduced but once it gets started the hard coating particles won't help ball bearings any.  Doubt if that would be an issue in an LSR application since operation time measures in minutes rather than hours.  But I would look at the gearbox oil for gold flecks at the end of the season.
Ed Weldon
Captain Eddie's Day Old Fish Market -- home of the Bonneville Salt Fish
Featuring the modern miracle of mechanical refrigeration.