Author Topic: Rear axel efficency  (Read 11739 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Rear axel efficency
« on: April 08, 2008, 12:32:19 AM »
good article in CC about 12 bolt, Dana 60 and 9 inch
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Rear axel efficency
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 06:51:27 PM »
Thanks, Sparky.  Always looking for ways to minimize parasitic power loss.  Turning the corner is a power-suck.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 10:52:24 AM »
If you are running a GM 12 bolt thats great, but if you have one of the Strange drop in third members for the Ford 9" the inside needs to be relieved to clear the pinion gear.  The taller you go on the gear the more grinding that needs to be done.  On mine I ground out so much that I knocked windows in the third member and had to weld plates to stiffen it up and close the holes.

Has anybody looked at the drag on the housing and on shapes that might effect it?  I would think this would be beneficial to classes that don't allow belly pans to cover the rear end.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

dwarner

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 12:23:03 AM »
Tony,

Be careful. The rulebook has a statment on page 41, section 4.CC that informs if it looks like streamling it will considered as streamling, this applies to both the top and bottom of the car. Not allowed in some classes.

DW

Offline maguromic

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 12:47:26 AM »
Dan,

I agree with you about section 4.CC on page 41, but on page 42 the continuation 4.CC specifically says “axle and header configuration will not” be considered streamlining.

On page 42 4.CC.1 axle faring “streamlining devices attached to the axle to direct airflow around axle configuration only”.  The way I understand this is that you can’t add anything to the axle to streamline it but if you whittled the axle out of a chunk of steel or aluminum with a shape then its alright.

Dan my hats off to you and all the tech guys, it must be like being a school principle trying to keep everyone in line. That’s what makes this sport so fun.

dwarner

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 12:51:43 AM »
Tony,

Stop carving and put something on the race track. LOL

DW

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 10:51:52 AM »
..............and header configuration will not” be considered streamlining.................

And a lot of people are not taking advantage of the above, especially on lakesters and roadsters,

Sum

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 01:56:55 PM »
Shush, Shush!!!!!!!! :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 03:33:40 PM »
Shush, Shush!!!!!!!! :-D

Did you call me.............

.......... that's my name and I'm not coming back to Phoenix until you get some fresh dog biscuits,

Shush

Shush's Home Page......

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/shush/shush-index.html

Offline chopperusa

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 11:31:01 PM »
Okay, this might be a good post to ask some questions about ideas i used to have.
 Has anyone had luck basically making a dry sump third member? I was thinking of using an electric pump to deliver the light oil into the bearings and use some spray nozzles to leave a even but light coating of oil into the pinion/main gear mesh. And doesn't a strait driven pinion like that in the old ford rearends and some of the quick change rear ends have the lowest drag in the pinion to main gear mesh? And i have often wondered in a lower horse powered car if one could use either a chain or belt to basically make quick change gears for a rear end. But the belts would add more drag as well right?
  Just thinking out loud here.

Offline maguromic

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 12:10:19 AM »
I built a dry sump Ford 9" with a 12 bolt drop in.  If you do a search their are a few threads already on the subject.  Running a belt in a quick change would defeat the purpose of a quick change. Tony

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 12:43:00 AM »
Chopperusa,
Trickest dry sump I have ever seen on a rear end was the one Doane Spencer made for Chris Cords Dekon Monza. The rear end was a 9 inch Ford so Doane had a 3/8  inch hole EDMed into the end of the pinion where the end support bearing is and then bored a hole in the diff housing that lined up with the hole in the pinion. He pressed in a shaft into the pinon which came out the back of the housing and he mounted a section of a Weaver Bros dry sump pump which was driven by the shaft and drew the oil out of the rear end, pumped it through a filter and small heat exchanger and then sprayed the oil on the bearings and gears. And you know that if Doane did it, it was perfect!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 08:02:55 AM »
Chopperusa,
Trickest dry sump I have ever seen on a rear end was the one Doane Spencer made for Chris Cords Dekon Monza. The rear end was a 9 inch Ford so Doane had a 3/8  inch hole EDMed into the end of the pinion where the end support bearing is and then bored a hole in the diff housing that lined up with the hole in the pinion. He pressed in a shaft into the pinon which came out the back of the housing and he mounted a section of a Weaver Bros dry sump pump which was driven by the shaft and drew the oil out of the rear end, pumped it through a filter and small heat exchanger and then sprayed the oil on the bearings and gears. And you know that if Doane did it, it was perfect!

Rex

Holy cxxp, anyone have pics of this?
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 12:59:52 PM »
This car has been bought by someone that is now running it at some of the "Old Car" races that are popular. I have seen it at Sears Point a couple of years ago. I normally go to these just to see some old friends, if I see it again I will take some pictures of the diff. The car is a very bright red Dekon Monza with a big Budwiser sign on it .

This car was really a work of art, typical Doane deal, the headers were Doane standard sand bent and then chromed, Doane also modified the standard Dekon body work on the front for better air flow and added some underbody tunnels for additional down force. The detail on this car is really one of those things where you just stand around it and keep seeing more and more trick things that Doane did. When Chris Cord bought a Lola T600 Doane did the same thing to it. Pretty amazing guy.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline maguromic

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 01:14:47 PM »
That Decon Monza is owned by Ken Epsman of Saratoga CA, and is housed at Sears Point.  It is truly a work of art.  On another note if you are looking for a trick dry sump set up, the factory Corvette team had one at Le Mans. After the race they sold it to Dollar Motorsports that runs a truck in N.A.S.C.A.R. I imagine since its not legal for their series it might be for sale fairly cheap in this economy.  Tony
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 01:28:51 PM by maguromic »