Author Topic: WEIGHT RATIOS  (Read 3689 times)

Offline KEVIN

• New folks
WEIGHT RATIOS
« on: March 23, 2004, 01:57:00 AM »
I AM CURRENTLY BUILDING A 86 CAMERO TO RUN IN THE ALTERED CLASSES. I PLAN ON RUNNING ABOUT 220 TO 240MPH RANGE. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THE FAST GUYS ARE USING FOR WEIGHT RATIOS FOR THE FRONT AND BACK OF THEIR CARS.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.

fwilly

Re: WEIGHT RATIOS
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 04:14:00 PM »
-I can say that with an older Camaro that the biggest problem is finding places to put all the weight.
 -One thing that I feel is NOT good is to have weight in the trunk or behind the rear axle.
 -At those speeds the nose wants to lift and a spoiler on the rear deck lid makes the tail squat so that also makes the nose lift.
 -maybe the newer cars aren't so bad but I would look at EVERY PLACE you can find in front of the rear axle.
 -I would put about all I could get up in the front but you'll find that 500lbs is a lot to hang up there in the front anywhere.
 -Then I'd put the rest of the ballast as low as possible where the rear seat floor is.
 --------------------------------
 -As for the front to rear ratio I can't say but you'll be hard pressed to get 1000# stuffed in there and have much control of the ratios if you keep the weight out of the trunk area.

Randy Williams

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 01:18:00 AM »
Kevin, I would think your looking to have about 55% on the front and 45% on the rear.No less on the front as you want the car to track straight.Please remember to have your car scaled F/R and side to side.Around here it' only cost about $100.00 to scale a car. A good source is a round track chassis shop or a racer with his on scales.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 01:16:00 AM »
Kevin, fwilly & Randy have got it about right,I have been able to run 52% front 48% rear with no more than 30 lbs. out at any one corner, most of the time we have been within 10 on the corners. And yes it can be a trick if your car weighs 5200 lbs. like ours does! Good luck and have fun!
 Mike LeFevers
 Car 265
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 06:16:00 PM »
Kevin, you did not say whether you were going to take advantage of all the rules allowed for running in the Altered/Fuel coupe class.  Placement of the engine is paramount to proper weight distribution (25% setback).   Gas Coupes and Production cars do not have that luxury. ie: adding more rear weight to balence the car. My contention has always been to weigh 10 pounds more total weight than needed and be balenced too. Hard to do with a roadster much easier with an Altered coupe. Good luck  J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro