Author Topic: Engine Placement - Classic Gas Coupe  (Read 4395 times)

Offline Plainview

• New folks
Engine Placement - Classic Gas Coupe
« on: April 07, 2008, 03:26:23 PM »
We will putting a GM big block in our 1954 Chevy coupe (115 inch wheelbase).  According to the rules, we can move the engine back 2%.  That works out to 2.3"  Am I to assume I can move the engine back 2.3" measuring from the center line of the front crankshaft?  Or do we measure from the original 6 cylinder motor mount position back 2.3" (which have already been removed,making it hard to determine their original position)?

Second question, the motor should be mounted down, as low as possible to the frame rails (dependent on steering swaybar/rack & pinion, oil pan/ground clearance).  Any rule of thumb on how low?

Sorry, for the rather naive questions.  I hope the wealth of experience on the LS webpage can assist us as we move along.

Offline RichFox

Re: Engine Placement - Classic Gas Coupe
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 04:10:56 PM »
The engine location is measured from the front spark plug. Going from a six to a V8 may actually mean moving the CG foward. I put my crankshaft centerline about where it was with the original engine. The car having been lowered quite a bit and a deep sump pan gets the crank out of the oil. Puts the pan about as low as it can be and still load it on the trailer.

Offline Plainview

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 04:38:10 PM »
THX, Rich.  I have lost my guide posts, since both the 6 cylinder engine and the original motor mounts are gone, so I am trying to figure out the best way to place the motor in the correct location to past tech.  You are right the CG will be more forward with the big block, so we are striping off any excess weight in other locations, and will then add weight further back.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 04:57:55 PM »
Should be measured from the sme centerline of the frt. spindles that is going to be used to determine the WB.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 05:24:49 PM »
................. so I am trying to figure out the best way to place the motor in the correct location to past tech.  You are right the CG will be more forward with the big block, so we are striping off any excess weight in other locations, and will then add weight further back.

As you probably know you don't need it in the right place to pass tech, but to get through impound if you set a record, which of course I hope is the case  :-).

................. so I am trying to figure out the best way to place the motor in the correct location to past tech.  You are right the CG will be more forward with the big block, so we are striping off any excess weight in other locations, and will then add weight further back.

Don't be too quick to worry about taking weight off the front of the car sometimes it can be good there.  I've put down some thoughts on the subject and it has been discussed here and might be old news to you, but here are a couple links....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bville%20-%20LSR%20Thoughts-3.html

........... and....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bville%20-%20LSR%20Thoughts-3.html

I'll bet if you post on some of the "6" boards or restorer boards you could get some measurements that would help you with the set-back question

The best of luck,

Sum

Offline Plainview

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 05:48:22 PM »
THX Sum. Good answer on asking some of the guys that have restored 54's and getting some of the lost measurements from them.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 07:51:10 PM »
I'll bet if you post on some of the "6" boards or restorer boards you could get some measurements that would help you with the set-back question

Am I misinterpreting the rules (as usual)?  Engine set back 4.AA says that distance from the spindle traverse centerline divided by the wheelbase.  115" wheelbase gets 2.3" max set back, right?  Doesn't make any difference where it was originally, does it? 

I'd bet big (Monopoly) money that the front-most spark plug on a '54 Chevy is several inches in front of the spindle centerline.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 08:11:06 PM »
ONE of the 3 qualifers for Classic Gas Coupe can be an engine swap:
I feel sure that the set back is based off cars original wheelbase dimension and the spindle centerline---you have the exact opsite with late model vech. with V-6 and V-8 engs., The frt sparkplug is different for the Production Class but would be the same if an eng swap were involved.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 08:15:53 PM »
Am I misinterpreting the rules (as usual)?  Engine set back 4.AA says that distance from the spindle traverse centerline divided by the wheelbase.  115" wheelbase gets 2.3" max set back, right?  Doesn't make any difference where it was originally, does it?.................

I'll bet you are exactly right.  Now he can forget going to those restorers that won't be happy with him anyway for messing up a perfectly good car  :roll: and you should have bet real money on this one  8-).

c ya,

Sum