Author Topic: Just a reminder...  (Read 10802 times)

Offline rockracer

Re: Just a reminder...
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2024, 11:29:19 PM »
Not  power related but.... my latest injury.
Was trying to replace the leafsprings on my XJ jeep.  Had a long breaker bar on the bolt and started pulling back when the socket broke and the topside of my hand went full force into the drumbrake.  Covered my hand walked inside to have the better half take a look at it and........ woke up to paramedics in my house. 😟
Very lucky nothing broke but now I know when a storm is coming.
Called my buddy at AAA spring and asked how much it was for install.  Cheaper than a hospital bill. 

Offline tauruck

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2024, 06:40:35 AM »
That's scary stuff. I hope you heal up.
Weird that anything spring related gets dangerous.
My problem is clutter on the floor. I fell backward a few weeks back and I'm the luckiest guy in Africa.
I feel between two mild steel plates that were propped up against the side of the toolbox. I rang my bell on the gas bottle though.

Offline tallguy

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2024, 03:21:16 AM »
In high school auto shop a buddy just about denutted himself with a 1/2 inch drill and some baggy coveralls

Some of those 1/2 inch drill motors have some impressive torque.  I had a close call with one, once.

Offline aircap

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2024, 11:43:01 PM »
Years ago at the first machine shop I worked in, I replaced a guy who came in on Sunday after church to make a part on a lathe for his car, and didn't take off his necktie. The boss found what was left of him Monday morning.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2024, 09:48:58 AM »
And that's why clip-ons were invented!  :cheers:

We had a guy in one shop that was going to drill a large brass fitting with a ?6" stub, twist drill.
We told him you have to 'dub' the drill for brass or the drill will screw itself into the chuck.
He was a big guy and said. "I can hold it!"
Almost his famous last words!  :evil:
As the drill split up the middle, I watched the shrapnel just miss his head and he literally froze on the controls!
We had to pry his hands off the hand wheel!
I think he went to sell insurance after that!  :-P
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2024, 12:28:02 PM »
About 3yrs ago I was at Virginia Transformer working on a 16 axle step deck low loader trailer that had an air leak. It was in the gravel parking lot & the only way to get to the back axle sets is from the back of the trailer. I eventually found it was a bad brake chamber on axle #9 the front of the rear set. After a few trips crawling in there & not being able to get a caging bolt to fit it was time to cut the pushrod off. I run into this regularly where the piston is twisted & the only thing to do is release the brakes & cut the pushrod off so I fire the truck & released the brakes. Instead of getting the cutting torch from the other side of the truck I plugged in the 120v angle grinder, slid it under the side & dragged myself through the rubber tunnel again. As I was cutting through it the brakes came on, the cutting disc bit, the grinder did a 180 taking it out of my hands & it plunged down into the back of my left hand. I watched as my hand opened up like a filet of fish then the blood pool rose & started running down my arm. I held it closed to slow down the bleeding for a second but needed my hands to crawl back out of there so by the time I got out I was a mess. Coming down the side of the trailer to get help I had to stop & lay down to stop from passing out then somebody finally sew me. I stayed there until the ambulance cam & hauled me away. Lying at the hospital waiting for the surgeon to put my $hit back together I called the trucking company to tell them we had a problem. The driver had called them & said he'd climbed into the cab & bumped the Johnson Bar that had activated the brakes. I had a mate from Kenworth go down after work & finish the job for me & pack up my truck.
The disc had gone down between the first two fingers cutting the bone & tendon so my index finger didn't work. Thinking about it all while waiting for a breakdown repair on my hand I remembered that about 20yrs ago I had removed the switch detent on that grinder so you had to hold the switch for it to keep running. I was in such a small space under there lying on my back with the grinder in front of my face, had it kept running the outcome could have been a whole lot worse.
I went back to work about three months later with limited use. 3yrs later my hand will never be 100% but I'm still working.
I bet most people have been in this situation when you're doing something & think to yourself for a split second 'that's a bit sketchy" & at that moment it's already too late. Ouch! muutt
  Sid.