Author Topic: Tools  (Read 18861 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Tools
« on: April 06, 2008, 11:23:29 PM »
I know several of you that have posted about tools or things that you have made to help..please post
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Tools
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 10:02:31 AM »
I found this list when going through the "humor" file in an old filing cabinet.  I believe I got it about ten years ago from the M-Riders mailing list (another group to which I belong).  There have been many versions of this, I know, but I think this one has merit enough to post it.  If you've got additions -- feel free to add them.  With SpeedWeek coming soon we can all use help with learning about tools.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline vette#128

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 10:41:46 PM »
I found this list when going through the "humor" file in an old filing cabinet.  I believe I got it about ten years ago from the M-Riders mailing list (another group to which I belong).  There have been many versions of this, I know, but I think this one has merit enough to post it.  If you've got additions -- feel free to add them.  With SpeedWeek coming soon we can all use help with learning about tools.

Slim,
You have quite accurately and completely described the entire contents of my tool box.....  with the exception of the side cutter pliars used for breaking the necks off beer bottles by prying at the cap.........
Ed
Ed Van Scoy
Four Deuces
(Salt,Dirt & Pavement)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 10:17:44 AM »
This one comes under the heading of "Important things for your Harley-Davidson or older Brit Bike":

http://chopperindustry.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2725
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 10:29:13 AM »
And Nortons,  :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline rockstar

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 02:35:21 PM »
I use a similar thing at work it is an american product called a Pig Blanket,very thin and very absorbent!.

David.
Remember Murphy's 6th law,if all goes well,then you have missed something out.

Team Sparrow Racing UK

Super Kaz

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 05:41:39 PM »
This one comes under the heading of "Important things for your Harley-Davidson or older Brit Bike":

http://chopperindustry.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2725

Jon,
My HD V-rod doesn't Leak Oil it's marking it's Territory :evil:
Funny thing is it's really Leaks with The High Dollar Synthetics,but isn't to bad with HD's Cheap Dinosaur 20w/50w :oops:!
Good thing is it's cheap enough to change after every Race :mrgreen:!
I could add a Few more to the List,but they are all Rated R :-P............
Kaz............... 8-)

MCR

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 07:11:16 PM »
Shop towel - Used to store metal slivers and grease out of plain sight.  Also good as a fan when your drill catches it and spins.

Calipers - Device used to verify that you cut the part too short.  Handy for removing metal slivers from your hand; see shop towel.

Micrometer - Used in place of a C-Clamp by the uninitiated.  When it's owner finds someone using it as C-Clamp, it is grounds for justifible homicide in 17 Western states.

Two Post Lift - Used to bend sheet metal on trucks with waxed or undercoated frames.

Lathe - A destructive testing machine that is also handy for throwing chuck keys.

Mill - Machine used for drilling holes EXACTLY 0.200" off desired location.

Jig Bore - Like a mill, but calibrated to miss it's mark by 0.02500"

Burr knife - A toy for the machinist, it will hide until you don't need it anymore, then miraculously reappear.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 08:03:05 PM »
MCR, go ahead and add those to the list that I posted.  The list is a Word document -- you might be able to modify it.  If not I guess I'll add 'em later on (the original is on the 'puter at my office).  And I can use my backyard skills to do as well as I could with a mill -- can miss by a quarter-inch pretty well.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 10:07:40 PM »
Priceless stuff MCR- just about fell outa the chair - pure REALITY!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

MCR

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 02:47:03 PM »
A minor explanation since somebody asked me privately:

A Bridgeport Mill moves exactly 0.200" every revolution of the handle.  Back before digital displays, we had to count revolutions to get to our desired location.  If you miscount, you are off exactly a multiple of .200".

Ditto for optical sights on many Jig Bores, except a rev is 0.02500".

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 03:22:15 PM »
A minor explanation since somebody asked me privately:

A Bridgeport Mill moves exactly 0.200" every revolution of the handle.  Back before digital displays, we had to count revolutions to get to our desired location.  If you miscount, you are off exactly a multiple of .200".

Ditto for optical sights on many Jig Bores, except a rev is 0.02500".

My mill/drill moves .125 and I really got use to that as it is 1/8 inch and I could position holes very quickly in my mind and on the work with it.

Then I recently got a full size mill and yes the first thing I discovered was one turn now was .200 and I couldn't quickly in my head move 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 of an inch by even turns of the handle like before.  Oh well I still drill most of the holes using the mill/drill.  I can see that 5 turns on the big mill is 1 inch vs. 8 on the mill/drill, but wonder why they are different and why they settled on .125 on one and .200 on the other.

c ya,

Sum

roadtrip

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 03:39:37 PM »
Die Grinder w/cut-off wheel ---- Amazingly versatile tool that sometimes butchers more metal on the backside that you're not paying attention too, as it does on the front side where you're mezmerized by it's progress and can't stop, (aka, I meant to cut off that much)

Sweaty t-shirt ---- Handy for mopping up blood after aforementioned cut-off wheel grabs said t-shirt and instantly wraps itself around, and no earthly human has the ability to let go of the lever until wheel begins surgical procedures.

DS   

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 04:38:55 PM »
My Clausing mill moves .100 each revolution. That makes it eazy even for me to figure and I still screw up sometimes.  LOL
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 05:13:03 PM »
That's essentially what happened to the Hubble Space Telescope; the focus was set to extreme precision--0.1" off. I don't remember the actual error but it was an integer-- someone simply read a scale wrong.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ