Author Topic: steering wheel dash  (Read 3040 times)

Offline lsrcarl65

• New folks
steering wheel dash
« on: April 06, 2008, 06:38:39 PM »
I am in  the process of looking for a steering wheel dash for my car and need some opinions.   I have seen some really nice set ups on the salt and did not write the name down.  What are some units out their and what do you like or dislike about it.  Please dont tell me to run gauges instead.  I have made up my mind to run this style of dash.  Thanks for any info.

Offline jimmy six

Re: steering wheel dash
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 11:43:35 PM »
Try Race-Pak under data aquisition. Their steering wheel dash is excellant...Good Luck..JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 12:16:32 AM »
There are several companies that make steering wheel dashes.  As JD mentioned Racepack is one and Motec also makes one.  On the roadster I am building I run a Pi Research Sigma dash.  I don't know about the other dashes and you might want to check with them,  but with the Pi Sigma dash you need run the Sigma data logger or an compatible ECU to get the dash to work. 
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 01:35:55 PM »
I would be glad to help you sort through them it is what I do as a business every day.. But give me a need list and a lust for list and a budget.. If you rather keep the budget part private just send a PM..
Dave

Offline lsrcarl65

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 08:35:14 PM »
Thanks JD and the others that posted. Dave I will send you a PM.  Maguromic, thats a nice setup!  I noticed that you dont have any wires.  How is it wired and how is it connected to the car?  Thanks for the help

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 12:39:12 AM »
Thanks for the compliment.  This took a lot of work to fit everything and get it working.  Your best bet is to have some one like Dave help you out and get it done correctly the first time out.  I went through a lots of trial and error before getting it right.  As for the wiring I ran everything into the back of the wheel and used a motorsport connector with just the male pins inside my hub and put the female end in my steering column and ran the wires out the column.  It makes for a very clean appearance with out the wires dangling, and besides I didn't want to get my feet tangled up  if I ever had to get out in a hurry.

I also made  a paddle shifter to fit the back and ran the wires for it as well.  It only goes in one direction because I am using a Liberty box.  The yellow button is for the parachute with a manual lever just encase.  Jack(nebulous) helped me work on this, but the wheel ends are still not finished to the way I would like.  So I will  make up some carbon caps to fit on the ends of the wheel to finish it off. (Jack thanks for the help as always) If you need help just ask.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 12:58:17 AM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”