Author Topic: El Mirage lake bed condition  (Read 6367 times)

Offline bvillercr

El Mirage lake bed condition
« on: April 03, 2008, 03:30:19 PM »
Has anyone been out to the lake bed recently, and how bad or good is it going to be in May?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 12:31:33 PM by bvillercr »

Offline Dave Cox

• http://www.olddeadcars.com
Re: Elmo lake bed condition
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 05:11:23 PM »
I was out there last week, looks the same as last year. Not great (not enough rain last year), but runnable.

Dave

Offline mike mendoza

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 06:42:52 PM »
I was out there last week, looks the same as last year. Not great (not enough rain last year), but runnable.

Dave
Dave: I was at El Mirage when you ran your green simca? what % nitro did u use if is anything less than 101% i'd be suprised it sounded and looked so good.   did you run Muroc?  Mike

Offline Dave Cox

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 09:15:29 PM »
Hi Mike, believe it or not it was a GAS altered! no nitro!! and it was actually a Citroen.

it was definately a fun car. we ran Muroc a couple of times, I think it ran 219.

Dave
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 09:17:23 PM by Dave Cox »

Offline mike mendoza

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 01:21:49 AM »
Hi Mike, believe it or not it was a GAS altered! no nitro!! and it was actually a Citroen.

it was definately a fun car. we ran Muroc a couple of times, I think it ran 219.

Dave
That thing was the wildest car that still sticks with me.   I laughed at the people that said it would run faster rear ward, there mouths really dropped .  that's how preception is sounded so wild and all that rich smoke off the line had to be fuel,  thans Mike

Offline bvillercr

Re: El Mirage lake bed condition
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 09:07:31 PM »
Would you run your blown citroen on the condition of the lake bed?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 03:13:16 PM by bvillercr »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 04:00:06 PM »
Anyone been out there lately?

Offline Dave Cox

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 04:09:40 PM »
I haven't been out for a few weeks, but I'd run! I never pass up a chance.

Blue

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 03:02:18 PM »

Dave
When we were there the first week of March it was fantastic.  Hard as a rock.  I could even push our 9,000 lb car by myself!  (about 3")  At BR in October, the car plowed 1 1/2" deep ruts.  We had reports from the local Elmo experts leading up to our trip and we heard that it basically dried out completely just before we got there.  Our experience on playa is the same:  it's hardest right after it dries and gets looser as time goes on.

This leads to the idea of watering the course a few days before a meet.  Of course, we'd have to keep everyone off of it during the time that it's drying and that may not be possible at Elmo or anywhere else.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 04:10:11 PM »
Watering Elmo has been tried before. Didn't help much plus it takes way to many tankers to do it, not cheap and the daily changes in the weather plays a big factor. We have what we have.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline pookie

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 02:26:44 AM »
I was out at El Mirage today, participating in picking up trash and more trash from the lake bed. I think the race course is in  much better condition than last year. In about 2 weeks there are going to be some happy racers running on a very nice track. BTW, that clean up deal was kinda rewarding, met some nice folks, they put on one hellav feed bag, (good food) and I left there feeling that I had done something in my own way to try and give back to the SCTA-BLM, for the great racing I have been watching for all these years. I am looking forward to doing it again. Mike

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 03:16:26 PM »
I was out at El Mirage today, participating in picking up trash and more trash from the lake bed. I think the race course is in  much better condition than last year. In about 2 weeks there are going to be some happy racers running on a very nice track. BTW, that clean up deal was kinda rewarding, met some nice folks, they put on one hellav feed bag, (good food) and I left there feeling that I had done something in my own way to try and give back to the SCTA-BLM, for the great racing I have been watching for all these years. I am looking forward to doing it again. Mike

Mike, thanks for your efforts to clean up the lake bed as well as the update here on landracing.com, it is very appreciated!

Scott

Offline bald1

• neald
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 07:20:44 PM »
Next Saturday there will be a crew of volunteers at  Elmo to prepare the surface (fill holes, etc) prior to the meet.  Should be a great season opener!
neald

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 10:08:45 AM »
If you were at El Mirage this weekend it was a balmy 75.

Not the case for next weekend! 96 is the forecast for Saturday & Sunday. Low of 57. Bring your shorts! Winds are forecast to be mild. Should be a great weekend.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.