Author Topic: Front end alignment on fabbed front ends….hows it done?  (Read 9729 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Front end alignment on fabbed front ends….hows it done?
« on: April 01, 2008, 08:23:58 PM »
It is not like I can take the car to a local alignment shop. Is there a common procedure for getting both wheels pointing forward?
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline sheribuchta

Re: Front end alignment on fabbed front ends….hows it done?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 08:48:18 PM »
Hey Jonny,
We sent you a book today priority mail. Sorry about the delay but Willie had to find the book first. We have been remodeling and everything is packed. It's kind of a hot rod - drag race thing but you should be able to figure out everything you need to know. If you need any more info let us know.

Willie and Sheri Buchta

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 11:07:34 PM »
JNuts, make sure the back wheels are pointed correctly first.  Old 8 ft florescent tubes are generally straight.  You can also find cheap laser levels almost anywhere. If you figure out the backs are pointed straight, then point the fronts the same way.  After you get the fronts straight, add an equal amount of toe-in to each.  Roll it down the street, have someone hold the wheel straight, while you watch after you are done.  If it looks a little crabbed, start over.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 11:25:34 PM »
......... Old 8 ft florescent tubes are generally straight.  You can also find cheap laser levels almost anywhere. If you figure out the backs are pointed straight, then point the fronts the same way.  After you get the fronts straight, add an equal amount of toe-in to each...............

Good stuff.....

............ while my car is still on the build table  :cry: and I could measure off of the center-line down the table I made removable brackets that let me "string" both sides on the car.  It seems to be working, but my car hasn't moved and
Stainless's has  8-), so pay attention to what he has to offer  :-).

More on what I did here............

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar-2/construction%20page-79.html

........... c ya,

Sum

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 11:29:37 AM »
After you get the fronts straight, add an equal amount of toe-in to each

Why would you want any toe-in?
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 12:33:05 PM »
a 1/16 to an 1/8 total toe in keeps your front end from searching.  If you ran last year without any toe-in, that may have caused your handling problems...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 12:51:26 PM »
After you get the fronts straight, add an equal amount of toe-in to each

Why would you want any toe-in?

No matter how good/new all of the steering components are there is going to be some clearances built into them that will cause some slack.  The tendency for a car in motion is for that slack to cause the wheels to toe-out, so you are trying to compensate for that by toeing them in so that under way they will actually be straight.  Since you don't know precisely how much is needed it is better to have a little too much toe-in, so that they still might be toed in to create the situation Stainless is talking about.

Sum

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 06:20:30 PM »
If you have a chassis mounted rack & pinion you might want as much as 3/8's total depending on geometry and suspension travel. A R&P mounted to the axle eliminates this need. This applies to a one piece axle and not IFS.

Offline V4F STR 60

• Montana Dodge Boys Fast Four Special
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 11:25:21 AM »
Why 3/8" toe-in on a chassis mounted rack and pinion?  Does this hold true if I have a front panhard bar?  Thank you, Pedro
Montana Dodge Boys Fast Four Special
1928 Dodge Brothers Vintage Flathead Four Cylinder Roadster & Lakester

Landspeed Records

Bonneville

2009 V4F/STR 115.681
2009 V4F/GR 116.439
2009 V4F/FR 117.597
2010 V4F/BSTR 127.352
2012 V4F/BFMR 130.843
2013 V4F/BGMR 142.956
2013 V4F/BFMR 143.254
2013 V4F/BGR 138.395
2013 V4F/BFR 138.984

El Mirage

2016 V4F/BGMR 140.961

www.facebook.com/MontanaDodgeBoys
www.fastfourspecial.com

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 11:35:25 AM »
I don't think you'll want a chassis mounted rack. To see why mount the rack in its approximate position and hook up the steering linkage. With the springs removed move the axle up and down in its range of travel. Include a little sideways roll for interest. Carefully measure the steering angle of the wheels while you do this. What you're measuring is bump steer or roll steer and it can lead to some very interesting handling.

Pete

P.S. Mounting the rack on the axle will eliminate most of this motion. You'll still have to watch out for variations on akkerman or toe change when the wheels are turned.

P.J.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 11:38:37 AM by Peter Jack »

Offline V4F STR 60

• Montana Dodge Boys Fast Four Special
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 11:58:52 AM »
Thanks,  I'll remove the spring and check out the bumpsteer today.  Good thought, even though I tried to address when I built it by making sure the drag link (If that's what you still call it on a rack) was horizontal at ride height.  I am trying to sort out my handling issues before WF.  We have the speed, but that doesn't do much if the car prefers turning around... and I don't want to have another coaching session from the safety steward (he was just doing his job).  My other thoughts/concerns are too much Ackerman, no front panhard, flex in the long front wishbones...

Thanks again, Pedro
Montana Dodge Boys Fast Four Special
1928 Dodge Brothers Vintage Flathead Four Cylinder Roadster & Lakester

Landspeed Records

Bonneville

2009 V4F/STR 115.681
2009 V4F/GR 116.439
2009 V4F/FR 117.597
2010 V4F/BSTR 127.352
2012 V4F/BFMR 130.843
2013 V4F/BGMR 142.956
2013 V4F/BFMR 143.254
2013 V4F/BGR 138.395
2013 V4F/BFR 138.984

El Mirage

2016 V4F/BGMR 140.961

www.facebook.com/MontanaDodgeBoys
www.fastfourspecial.com

Offline RichFox

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 12:08:03 PM »
On my car I have a shackle on the left side of the front axle only. This negates the need for a panhard bar. Suspension travel has not been enough at Bonneville to cause any bump steer. It has early Ford type steering. On my coup I did mount the R&P to the axle. Not sure why a chassis mount would seem better.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 12:09:50 PM »
Just to add to the quick note on checking bump steer, I usually clamp the rack by pulling back the rubber boots and using vise grips to hold a small piece of protective aluminum at each end of the housing so there is no back and forth movement in the rack and pinion while i'm jacking the axle up and down.

Pete

Offline JimL

Useful test while building your chassis/suspension...
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 03:12:26 AM »
...when your sure it's right, and up on wheels, pour a puddle of water on flat floor (each side), then roll the tires through it.  Compare the track patterns on both sides (front to rear) to find dog-tracking or crabbing.  If you have suspension, add all the weight you can (family, friends, neighbors) and roll through the puddles.  If something changes, it's time to sit down and THINK HARD!!

I've used this simple test to "kick back" the Hunter rep when he's convinced there's nothing wrong with his installation and calibration.  It's pretty hard to argue with the actual rolling tire tracks!

427MG

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 06:13:08 AM »
I don't think you'll want a chassis mounted rack. To see why mount the rack in its approximate position and hook up the steering linkage. With the springs removed move the axle up and down in its range of travel. Include a little sideways roll for interest. Carefully measure the steering angle of the wheels while you do this. What you're measuring is bump steer or roll steer and it can lead to some very interesting handling.

Pete

P.S. Mounting the rack on the axle will eliminate most of this motion. You'll still have to watch out for variations on akkerman or toe change when the wheels are turned.

P.J.

I can confirm that if you have a set-up with a chassis mounted rack and a beam or tube axle the steering characteristics are 'interesting'. My MG used to have a 6" drop tube with a full width, chassis mounted R&P. If you turned the steering wheel on my beasty more than a 1/4 turn the geometry went all over the place and the bump steer, the scrub and everything else made it near impossible to drive. The final straw came when hitting a pot-hole whilst on full right lock, the suspension went on full lift whilst on full lock and promptly stayed there when it all got past it extremes. A heart stopping moment!

It's all gone and I've now made my own IRS that actually works with proper geometry.