Author Topic: Quick change  (Read 6063 times)

Offline Chad

• New folks
Quick change
« on: February 23, 2004, 05:29:00 PM »
Is any one running a quick change in a door car?
 how much power loss is there compared to a 9"
 I have a chance to get a winters for cheep. I have been happy with the 9 I have but the quick change has a much larger cool factor

Offline jimmy six

Re: Quick change
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 07:04:00 PM »
Quick changes are run in all classes with much success. They do use more horsepower than a 9 in Ford. Most will give it up for the chance to get the "right" rear ratio. The biggest draw back is the lack of ring and pinions to start with. I believe a Winters is one of the QC's compared to a "Champ" or sprinter style. Most are 4.11 or 4.88. V-8 QC's can be fit with ring and pinions starting at 3.27.  Higher ring and pinions for Champs are available at a sustantial cost if found. Thats where the horsepower is lost. Trying to make a 4.11 into a 2.20 those spur gears being so different in size chew up the horsepower. Same for overdrive transmissions, they use HP also. The 9 inch Ford is very strong  and uses more HP than others due to it's pinion angle. But you gotta use something. Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 01:26:00 PM »
One more thing. I took a QC out of my roadster and put in a Pontiac/Olds. Better pinion angle plus I had a lot of the gears.   They actually have a 2.56-2.69-2.86-3.00-3.08-3.25-3.42. Now I also use 5 sets of tire diameters and an overdrive Tex Racing trans which has a infinate gear selection for overdrive and still uses less HP than QC.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Stovebolt

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 07:23:00 AM »
JD do you know where to obtain a 3.27 ring gear for a V8 centre??

I've asked Patricks and Speedway - all to no avail.  :(

I want to refit a Banjo to my coupe at a later stage, and 3.27 would be a great ratio for a very occassional salt racer.

Cheers

Mark
Its hard enough to be your age, let alone act it.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 01:10:00 AM »
They were available. Try all the Ford Obsolete sites. When I looked for the 15 years ago it took some time but I found 3 sets. Who knows now?