Author Topic: Large display GPS  (Read 2681 times)

Offline whitworthsocket

• New folks
Large display GPS
« on: April 01, 2008, 12:32:27 PM »
I want to use a GPS with large type/display to use as my speedometer.
I have excellent distance vision. I need reading glasses to read the display on my Tom Tom.
When I race I would like to have a display that would have numerals in the 1.5" to 2" (38 to 50 mm) region.
Does any one know if this is available. Or can I modify an existing unit to run a large display.

Regards Whitworthsocket
Regards
Whitworthsocket

Offline SteveM

Re: Large display GPS
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 03:22:11 PM »
They do exist. (Very cool). I saw one a couple years ago in a Tunnel Hull "Champ Boat" campaigned by the Seebold Racing Team.  I have no idea what brand / manufacturer it was, but I would say the screen was in the range of 4" x 4" square, and was set up on the dashboard of the boat.  Perhaps you could contact Seebold and find out what they use.

SteveM.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 03:58:45 PM »
I'm interested in knowing why you want to see your speed if this is at b'ville??  If you are going very fast it is really hard to keep track of the gauges and I would want to be looking at the more critical ones, like the tach, egt, oil pressure.

c ya,

Sum

Offline maj

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 12:51:55 AM »
Refresh rate may be a bit slow too

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 01:22:49 AM »
If you are having trouble reading the speed from all the vibration and just need some basic information.  Why not run a heads up display (HUD)on the helmet. Its  pretty reasonable and it has been on the salt with several teams. http://www.sportvue.com  When I checked with them early last year they were also working on displaying some other info from data loggers.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 01:27:05 AM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 11:12:21 AM »
The hand-eye coordination department is pretty busy during a run. Trying to see your speed takes away from your concentration and won't ever tell you anything meaningful. After the run you get a speed slip that is the real story, and a data logger will tell you what the speed was during the run.

If you really want the speed during the run you need a speedo that will talk to you. A decent set of headphones will get you "Your current speed is 212 mph"

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.