Author Topic: Getting ready for Maxton and Bonneville 2008...  (Read 19304 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Getting ready for Maxton and Bonneville 2008...
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2008, 01:00:04 PM »

While we are on this, I feel openings like on the car in the picture (and is one that goes with us) is a disaster.  It might have the right amount of square inches of inlet, but it is so narrow top to bottom that I feel a lot of the inlet area is ineffective and not contributing to the air the motor needs. The flat leading edges of the opening probably cause air to pile up there and effect both the air going into the scoop and around it.  Neither good.  Now saying this the car has set records.  I still think it would do better with a more oval shaped opening that could probably be smaller.
c ya,
Sum

Sum, we were trying to come up with a good intake configuration for the new motor in the lakester, was thinking of just using a bugcatcher... :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2008, 01:17:03 PM »
............................Sum, we were trying to come up with a good intake configuration for the new motor in the lakester, was thinking of just using a bugcatcher... :roll:

Hey is that one of those V-8 'busas??  I like it, who is going to get to drive first  :evil:,

Sum

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2008, 09:46:59 PM »
First, sorry for the hijack, nice Beemer....

Sum, its the Kieth Black Hayabusa 8, I mentioned we were going to the blown class...   8-)
Stainless

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2008, 11:13:52 PM »
Rchop

Looking very nice. You've probably thought of it, but, have you looked for a velocity stack that would fit your intake tube. It would take care of the bellmouth as well. There ought to be a lot of them back there, if you can get to them before they rust away... :roll:

Larry
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline roygoodwin

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2008, 11:34:55 PM »
I think the thing to take away from Prof. Blair's article is: "The fundamental message is that there is a considerable benefit in either CD (27%) or mass flow rate (16%) by the addition of even a simple radius at a pipe end to make a bellmouth, but the gain in CD above that simplicity to an optimum may be only 4% more."

You REALLY need that radius on the edge at the open end, belling it out gets you a little more, but that radiused edge gets you the most.

roy

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2008, 12:55:38 AM »
Stainless,
You have got to be kidding!! Who loaned you their blown hemi for the pictures?? That thing has more frontal area than your whole car!!Looks like the Bockcar is getting a steriod injection. I love it!!!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2008, 09:46:27 AM »
Stainless,
You have got to be kidding!! Who loaned you their blown hemi for the pictures?? That thing has more frontal area than your whole car!!Looks like the Bockcar is getting a steriod injection. I love it!!!!

Rex

Rex, it's the motor out of the MSA Blown Alcohol Dragster, fits nice except for the aero thing.... :roll: The frame rails are 24 inches across, so we didn't even need motor mounts.   Picture is several years old, there are still dark hairs on my head....  8-)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 09:49:12 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2008, 09:53:36 PM »
Well, here I am. We have wi-fi in the motel, so I will be able to update in the evening. Today was nice, partly cloudy with nice comfortable temps. We breezed thru tech inspection and joined in the rookie orientation at 5pm. I ran the course this morning on the Triumph about 4 times to try to pick a good line. I took pics on the last run and will post them when I get back. Lots of Hyabusas and some really fast cars and trucks. This weekend is the HotRod magazine speed challenge which drew quite a few participants. There are 2 new full race Ford GT's that have got to be my favorite cars of all time! The guy that pitted beside me is running a new Dodge pickup with the Viper V-10 and some other special race gear...sure sounds fast! Also, quite a few cars running AA class engines (over 500ci)...lots of muscle!!
Unfortunately, it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow :( Clear is the forecast for Sunday, so that may be the only day we run. I will have lots of pics to post including some interesting road snacks and a pic of the Grand Ol' Opry and the adjacent Bass Pro Shop as we drove thru Nashville...git-ur-done!!
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2008, 10:51:07 PM »
Good luck. May the speed be with you!

Larry :-D
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2008, 04:18:53 PM »
Good luck. May the speed be with you!

Larry :-D

Thanks Larry, Rain Rain Rain...all day today! No racing, lets hope it dries out by tomorrow!
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc