Author Topic: Maxton, this weekend  (Read 10481 times)

Offline revolutionary

Re: Maxton, this weekend
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 11:00:30 PM »
I've got two rooms reserved at the Pine Acres but Two of the guys are waffling now so I may have an extra room come open there.  I'll post up tomorrow with my number if that comes to fruition.
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

dwarner

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 11:34:23 PM »
If this was for me, thanks for the offer. We have reservation, I just want to make sure it is secure due to our late arrival.

DW

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 10:23:45 AM »
Dan, I trust you will take the computer and report from the track like Jon would....  :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline KAKRI

• New folks
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 08:49:50 PM »
What time do we have to be there Saturday. I'm told 11 am for rookie orientation, but the schedule sais 8 am? I can't make it to anything on Friday..

dwarner

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 09:26:15 PM »
Stainless,

Dan Stokes and others do a great job of ECTA reporting. Count on Scott Guthrie to be expansive on the m/c front. I will report on the cultural differences between East and West. For example, Bar-B-Q and 'shine vrs. sushi and sake.

DW

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 11:22:49 AM »
Hope the weather gets better, looks like rain for Saturday and scattered showers on Sunday.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2008, 11:35:09 AM »
No sun, no heat, if even damp won't dry and right now calling for 1" rain tomorrow most forecasts and maybe as Glen says sprinkles in AM Sunday.   I was  planning to leave in about an hour. I don't think will unload the car at all if I go. :(
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2008, 08:24:05 AM »
Here's the latest forecast:  http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Laurinburg&state=NC&site=RAH&textField1=34.7661&textField2=-79.4701

As I look out the window at the Pine Acres Lodge it's cloudy and dank, but warm.  Nancy and I'll be leaving in a few minutes -- planning on spending somequality time sitting in the pickup with the wipers going.  Yesterday morning it was cool but not raining, and it turned warm enough during the day that she and I both got some sunburn.

Yesterday we teched about 50 bikes -- surrislingly large number considering it's the car guy's meet,. so to speak.  Quite a few cars, but I didn't count them.  Huge number of vehicles were on the rookie orientation ride down the track, so I guess we've got lots of new folks here.  A rear engine mod. roadster, a GT40, Crosley convertible, and the usual other suspects.

The new tower loks way too official for what we're used to -- and I haven't gone down the track to see the pavement re-do, but I hear it's dandy.

The concession stand offers new food items -- what else do we need?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline DCarr511

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2008, 10:58:40 AM »
Sad to see the weather turn out bad for racing as predicted. Lets hope next Month is better. And am really hoping June has perfect weather as I hope to bring an entry and let my Son drive. See if he gets bit by the bug or not.

Today

Heavy
Rain
Hi 74°F
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 11:00:14 AM by DCarr511 »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2008, 11:08:35 AM »
Nancy and I just left the track and are back at the Pine Acres.  The fire/rescue crews departed the track about 10.30 or so, and we took that as a sign that racing isn't going to go on for quite a while today-- if at all.  We stayed in the truck the whole hour or so that we were out there-- too rainy for those of us that are used to snow...  The annual banquet is still on for tonight, although I hear talk of moving it.  The story:  All of the regular rooms in which we have held the banquet over the years (the college's banquet room, the National Guard armory, etc) were taken, so Tonya and Donna rented a huge tent, complete with walls and windows and all that -- and it's set up on the lawn between the Pine Acres itself and Jerry's bar-b-que, right next door.  Jerry's will be catering, anyway, so it's not all that bad.  Well, with the rain -- Ellen Guthrie called and discovered that the banquet room at the Hampton Innis available, so she's called Tonya and I guess there is a discussion (at highest executive levels) going on as to whether moving to the indoors (from the tent) might become a reality.  We'll kekep you posted as the day develops.

In other Maxton news, I don't know if Dan Warner and Fogy ever arrived last night.  It was raining like a bugger out there at midnight or so, when they were expected to wheel in -- and I had checked at the office to make sure that the office was open all night.  Yes, it is -- but they didn't have a reservation for either a Warner or a Fogliadini -- so I wonder where those boys ended up.  I'll letcha know if I ever find 'em.

Later. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline GH

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2008, 11:33:17 AM »
Warner and Fogy, now there's a pair to draw to. Two left coasters in NC, I'll bet they will have a great time, rain or no rain...wish I were there!!!!!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2008, 06:42:18 PM »
Latest news:

The banquet has, indeed, been moved indoors to the Hampton Inn.  And -- we wandered out into the light sprikling rain to find the whole gang of idiots (speaking with love here) hanging around the trailer, talking and imbibing.  Well, I didn't see if or what Fogy had -- but DW had a glass of "apple pie" 'shine in his hand and sure semed to be enjoying it.  It smelled strongly of cinnamon and had a hint of aple-- and I think there is a considerable ethanol content in there, too.

More later.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

dwarner

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2008, 09:33:07 AM »
Jon,

When in the South drink what is in the South. My new favorite liquid is called Apple Pie. It is manufactured in Franklin County in some state. I will look into a WC branch opening soon. If you had been awake at 6:45 Sat. morning you would have seen us discovering that we were not at the Pine Acres as Keith said. Tonya put us at the Comfort Inn.

DW

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2008, 10:46:49 AM »
Dan -
Let me say that it was a REAL pleasure to meet you.  All these years I've heard tell of you, and now I find you're just a regular guy with a lifetime of LSR experience (that I don't have).  I wish I'd had my Camaro there for a review by you and your cohort (I can't spell Fogl......), but as crazy as Sunday got, I likely wouldn't have had time to run it anyway.

I'll post a bit more in a new thread, but I wanted to thank you for being there and let others know what a charming dude you are.

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2008, 12:21:19 PM »
Jon/Slim; Did you or Nancy get to make any runs last weekend? I looked at the run logs and didn't think I saw your names.  Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing