Author Topic: Maxton, this weekend  (Read 10491 times)

dwarner

Maxton, this weekend
« on: March 31, 2008, 12:22:24 PM »
What is the best route from RDU to Maxon? Time frame?, we are getting in around 10:30 PM.

DW

Offline jacksoni

Re: Maxton, this weekend
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 07:49:21 PM »
Hi Dan- I assume you are renting a car at RDU.  Have them get you to Rt 40 near the airport, head to  I-95 south toward Fayetteville.  South on 95 to exit 14 ( About 65 miles on 95) turn right on us-74. go about 15 miles or so.  Are you coming in late and staying in Laurenburg or next am to the track. There is an exit off 74 to the airport and ECTA puts up signs to the track. It's a couple hours from RDU.
If the crik don't rise I'll be there with my firebird.  I won the rattiest car competition ( very informal but agreed on by Keith Turk) last fall.  They said the rusty studebaker with magic marker on it was done on purpose and therefore not in the race.  Is white with a "patina" and a red hood.  Assuming no problems will be on the salt in August, with a paint job I hope.  Look forward to see you this weekend.

Jack Iliff
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 08:19:33 PM »
Hey, Dan - what day are you arriving in Maxton/Laurinburg?  And do you have motel reservations already -- 'cause if you do maybe we/I can give you directions right to said motel.  We're sure looking forward to seeing you -- it's been months. . .and Dan Warner at Maxton?  This is going to be cool.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

dwarner

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 10:46:14 PM »
We get in to Raligh-Durham at approx. 10:30PM Friday night. I guess we should have figured on Thursday. Keith told me its about 2 hours to Laurinberg so it looks like 1:00 AM arrival. We are at the Pine place, where most people stay.

Being racers a 1 AM arrival, up at 6AM to race is no big deal. Twenty or thirty years ago maybe, LOL.  We'll see how it plays out.

Any info you can provide is welcome. Map Quest died on me when I look for an out of California location today.

DW

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 11:18:18 PM »
Dan,

Pine Acres is in Laurinburg not far from 74 Laurinburg exits beyond the airport by a few mins if coming in from I-95.  Both exits put you on streets that join just to the south of 74.  Pine acers isn't far from there.  Stay on 74 BYPASS from I-95, old business 74 takes you into Maxton proper and lost [been there, done that].  Hopefully Slim can chime in with more specifics, sorry I can't, more of visual navigator myself.

Hope you have a good trip and if you get a chance look me up, I'll be playing go-fer on the #260 REMR.

Take care,

Ed Purinton

Offline MIKE MATY

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 06:45:57 PM »
check your pm's I just sent you one Dan

mike.
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Maxton
A/FRS      205.531
D/FSS      159.427
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Ohio
A/FRS       208.530
2013 Hot Rod Top Speed Challenge Winner

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 08:47:23 PM »
What time will the track /Airport be open Friday morning?When is the best time to get there? Now I am ready. Bet I won't be in two days.
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 09:15:14 PM »
Damn -- I was afraid someone would call my bluff.  I don't know the name of the streets or the highway numbers -- just how to get there.  Anyway, when you get to Laurinburg on US74, head SOUTH on US 15/401.  It's a couple of miles from 74 to Pine Acres and three or four stoplights, which motel will be on the RIGHT/west side of the road about a half-block after a stoplight.  That last intersection has Jerry's Bar-b-Que on the right/far corner, and a few hundred feet down the road is the first of two entrances to Pine Acres.  Watch for the speed bumps as you enter the motel parking area -- and of course -- you'll know you're in the right spot when you see all the cars with race stickers/2 Club licenses/etc.  The lobby is at the back of the U-shaped drive -- and if you're not arriving 'til 1AM or so, maybe you should ask Keith or me or someone to pre-check you in so we can have the key waiting for you, or have your room open with the key inside, or something like that.  The lobby closes earlier than that, I think -- maybe not, but play it safe.  If you want to do so and haven't already made plans for late arrival, feel free to call me and I'll try to help.  Nancy and I leave dark and early tomorrow morning for the 1,200 mile ride and arrive Laurinburg Thursday suppertime.  Our truck phone is 906 361 6282.  See you at the track, if not before.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

dwarner

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 09:05:11 AM »
Thanks for the help everyone. I am sure we will be able to find the place.

Mike, I just replied to your PM

Jon, I did speak w/Keith on Monday and asked him to ensure that our room isn't given away due to the late arrival. Maybe someone could do a check-in by proxy for us.

Thanks again to all. It's been a long winter, I am ready to go racing. I have been watching Bar-B-Que shows on the Food Network in order to be prepared for the local cusine. I would guess there is no sushi available for us So Cal types.

DW

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 09:09:04 AM »
I would guess there is no sushi available for us So Cal types.
DW

Dan, just ask them for rice and raw catfish, that should help with that sushi thing...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 10:21:01 AM »
................. Maybe someone could do a check-in by proxy for us......................DW

That might be risky....you might find them sleeping in the beds and you will have the floor  :-o.

............... It's been a long winter, I am ready to go racing...........DW

"A long winter" from a guy that lives in southern California??  Come on Dan it has just been a long time since you have been to an LSR event  8-).

Have fun,

Sum

dwarner

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 01:47:05 PM »
It was tough here. Temps plummet to the low 60s, no sunshine for about 2 hours. Now I know how the gold rush guys felt in Alaska.

DW

Offline NArias3

• Arias Components
    • Arias Components Engineered
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 05:45:41 PM »
I would guess there is no sushi available for us So Cal types.

DW

Hey Dan-
Don't assume there's no good sushi outside of SoCal.  Some of the best I've had was in Kansas City, Missouri, of all places.

Nick 3rd.
SCTA Gear Grinder.

https://ariascomponents.com

Offline DCarr511

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »
What is the Weather looking like for Laurenburg this weekend ? I am thinking about heading out there.

Offline DCarr511

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 06:38:12 PM »
What is the Weather looking like for Laurenburg this weekend ? I am thinking about heading out there.

I found a Weather website ... Chance of rain is a bit high for me to drive 9 hrs. to spectate

http://www.wunderground.com/US/NC/Laurinburg.html