Author Topic: Pu. frt. axle  (Read 4198 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Pu. frt. axle
« on: March 29, 2008, 11:45:48 AM »
Dan, Is there any reason I couldn't put a solid 4x4 frt axel with a netrual position instead of IFS in Prod. PU? The rules only mention fulltime front wheel drive...or am I missing some mention of this somewhere else in the rules...thanks
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

dwarner

Re: Pu. frt. axle
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 12:46:59 PM »
If you run in a Production class you can use AWD if the vehicle was equipped as an OEM purchase. AWD is not allowed in other classes with the exception of streamliner. You can swap in a AWD unit, be prepared to document the the original vehicle was purchased with the option and that the option was available for the vehicle used.

DW

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 08:19:52 PM »
Dan---thanks for the reply---
In the industry, AWD means all wheels driving all the time--Some of the first to have all wheel dive were early '80s GM SUVs and later the GMC Syclone pickups.

The question is about Four Wheel Drive which can be run 2 wheel drive or four wheel drive--- I am asking about a 95 GMC PU which was available 4x2 and 4x4 with the tranfercase having 2H 4H N 4L positions they were available with IFS only --whether 2 or 4 wheel drive---I would like to eliminate the IFS and put a Solid Front Axel with Lockout Hubs and use a diferent Transfercase.

Thanks again for your time
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 12:24:47 AM »
If there was no drive shaft to the front axle, it have to be considered 2wd wouldn't it?

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 01:01:41 AM »
But, would it still be considered production?  :?

I sure am glad all us mc guys have to figure out is what the record was in '99  :|
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 08:51:21 AM »
Dan,  I feel sure that 4 wheel drive is allowed in all Special Construction, Lakesters and Streamliners.

dwarner

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 09:24:30 AM »
If you swap in a different axle than the OEM for the vehicle you must demonstrate the method you use to disable the AWD/4WD.

You are correct about the 4WD being allowed in lakester class. I can't remember seeing one though.

DW

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 11:06:08 AM »
Dan
John Bjorkman's lakester was 4 wheel drive but it had 2 rear axles and 6 wheels (2 in front ) :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

dwarner

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 12:25:33 PM »
Not the same.

DW

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 12:30:14 PM »
I know it's a different set up and the only four wheel drive  lakester I have seen. The true FWD is driven from both ends, John was looking for more traction with his design. BTW, he has sold the car and working with the new owner. The KB-2 engine was not part of the deal.

Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 05:00:39 PM »
Thanks Dan, I plan to disconnect  the front axle several ways---Freewheeling hubs and transfercase!