Author Topic: Classic Gas Coupe EFI Question  (Read 4814 times)

Offline Plainview

• New folks
Classic Gas Coupe EFI Question
« on: March 28, 2008, 08:29:04 AM »
We are starting a build for AA+ and are a bit confused by the rulebook.  We are planning on using a 672 c.i. GM motor and want to use an EFI system.  Does the EFI system have to be a standard OEM option on the motor (same year as the motor?), or can it be from another year or engine set up?

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Re: Classic Gas Coupe EFI Question
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 08:51:25 AM »
From what I read and understand..In classic category the EFI is allowed in pre 1982 cars but must be stock and not modified in any way for the exact year and model of the vehicle entered.

So IMHO I do not think thay would acceptable in Classic... Not certain but tht is how I read it.. Also from what I have been told "classic"  is the key word here.

Sounds like an injected 672  is a bit more than classic... lol

Have fun,, what car are you putting that big rat in ?

Charles

By the way I am in classic as well,,,  E/CGALT   going the other way on motor, not a huge RAT,, a tiny mini mouse motor..  255 SBC
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Plainview

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 09:35:26 AM »
Classic Gas Coupe 2008 rules state, unless I am incorrect, you can use any motor you want. And if that is the case my question is still open regarding the EFI system.

Offline Plainview

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 09:38:52 AM »
FYI, we will be using a 1954 Chevrolet coupe and will appreciated clarifications of the rules on motors' and EFI systems will can use in the Classic Gas Coupe.

dwarner

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 09:50:32 AM »
I guess my first response did not post.

I had written that EFI is NOT allowed in the Classic classes. IF you use an EFI unit it MUST be for the body used. In other words, if you build a '53 Chevy and want to use EFI the unit must be the 1953 OEM piece.

To expond a little further. There are no Classic engine classes. There are available Vintage engine classes, XF, XXF, XO, XXO, V4 and V4F. All other engines are just lumps of various displacements. The Classic classes are based on the bodies used and all rules will apply to the body, not the engine.

Why is it this way you may ask? When the Classic classes were formed, a three year+ project, the proponents of the classes wanted separation between the Classic and Modified categories. As usual, cost was sited as a major issue in running a Studebaker against a late model Firebird. The classic guys wanted no EFI and no data logging because of cost. The data logging restriction went away last year because a guy with a flathead Model B engine in a Vintage roadster had the use of the technogy and a Classic car did not. The fact that available data logging units have declined in price is a factor also.

The restriction against EFI is what keeps the two categories separate. Much like the F/G Roadster vrs. a Street Roadster. There are class specs that keep each type of car from running cross class.

DW

dwarner

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 09:55:10 AM »
I think that the 2008 rulebook, section 5.C, pages 59 & 60 pretty much explain what is/is not allowed in the Classic Category. Remember, the structure is broken into categories with classes within the categories. You cannot jump classes bewteen categories without meeting the specs of the specific category.

DW

Offline Plainview

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 09:57:20 AM »
So Dan, can you tell me what class our 1954 Chevrolet 2 door coupe would fall in, if we wanted to use a 672 GM c.i. motor?   Or are we completely off base?  We thought it would fall in Classic Gas Coupe?

Online Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 11:12:51 AM »
So Dan, can you tell me what class our 1954 Chevrolet 2 door coupe would fall in, if we wanted to use a 672 GM c.i. motor?   Or are we completely off base?  We thought it would fall in Classic Gas Coupe?

The car does, the engine (w/efi) does not. If you want to run efi on the motor you will be in modified category.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 11:24:54 AM »

The car does, the engine (w/efi) does not. If you want to run efi on the motor you will be in modified category.

Or put a carb on it and you would be in classic.  Read the Hot Rod article about their 2007 salt season....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Plainview

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 11:35:18 AM »
So, just to clarify, and I really appreciate the responses.  We can put a carbuerated GM 672 c.i. motor in the 1954 Chevy two door coupe and be in the Classic Gas Coupe class....or add EFI on the same motor and be in the Modified Gas Coupe class?  We are in the early stages of concept and don't what to make any mistakes before getting to far along.

Online Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 11:46:53 AM »
So, just to clarify, and I really appreciate the responses.  We can put a carbuerated GM 672 c.i. motor in the 1954 Chevy two door coupe and be in the Classic Gas Coupe class....or add EFI on the same motor and be in the Modified Gas Coupe class?  We are in the early stages of concept and don't what to make any mistakes before getting to far along.

This is correct but add:

once a vehicle in the Classic Category has competed in an SCTA-BNI sanctioned event, the vehicle must remain in thay category for the current racing season.

Like Stainless mentioned look up the Hot Rod article, that's a hint..... :wink:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 01:40:02 PM »
I think you could also run mechanical injection, doesn't have to be carb. ( or is there a limit on that in classic too)
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

dwarner

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 02:55:17 PM »
Carb or MFI no difference.

The non-OEM EFI places the car in the class.

DW