Author Topic: Shockwave on History Channel  (Read 9761 times)

bak189

Re: Shockwave on History Channel
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2007, 01:32:49 PM »
My good friend, and sidecar record holder, the late Mike Burns and a couple of other people were looking into what might have been the
 problem with Ron's bike....................................
However, I never got to hear what their findings were......does anybody know the answer?????

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2007, 02:56:22 PM »
Hey scott cliff wheeler sent a present to my shop for ya.....
Kent

A present for me?? What is it?

Scott

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2007, 04:27:52 PM »
Rear steer when it hooked up. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

bak189

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2007, 04:37:32 PM »
You could be right, Jack........both times?
Was he using a Z-1 frame??  They are known to be "Flexi-Flyers".......My street bike is a Z-1 with 1400c.c. plus Turbo motor and at times it becomes a "hand-Full".............................................

dwarner

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2007, 11:19:10 AM »
Unchanged from wreck one to wreck two. It was bound to happen.

The black and silver truck entering the picture in the Muroc wreck, #1, is Mike Manghelli. The clip does not show Mike knocking the bike down as it headed towards the spectators.

DW

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2007, 01:10:08 PM »
In response to the speed wobble that he had at Muroc and was lucky enough to not be seriously hurt, he replaced the triple clamps under the false impression the front end was the problem.
With the handling problem intact, he returned the next month to EM and was not so lucky.
That time as the problem predictably reoccurred, as he exited the bike, as he had before, his too loose pant leg caught the unyielding peg and drug him along enough to seriously injure him.
When he finally separated from it after breaking his body parts, the bike stood up and resumed without him.
That get off resulted in the wrist lanyard rule that provided some protection for the spectators, but did nothing to solve the problem for the entrant.
There is a reason proper foot pegs have a folding feature.
Can anybody tell me why it is ?
A simple truss can be a real fixer for a flexi swing arm, but sadly, the symptom is little understood.
You have all seen a bike twitch as it comes out of a water burnout onto the dry surface.
You all know the answer if you do the math. :wink:

OBTW: While his maiden name was Cook, it was suggested that the name change was as a result of his participation in the Federal Witness Protection Program, Baaker is the same way.   :-D   

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

gs450tango

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2007, 12:50:30 AM »
The other talking face, besides Ron Cook, is Lee Kennedy. He's an old shipmate of mine. If anyone can get and hold his atttention long enough, tell him  " Popbottle " is alive, well, living in Caldwell, Idaho, and looking for him.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2007, 01:46:16 AM »
The other talking face, besides Ron Cook, is Lee Kennedy. He's an old shipmate of mine. If anyone can get and hold his atttention long enough, tell him  " Popbottle " is alive, well, living in Caldwell, Idaho, and looking for him.

Done :wink:

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2007, 08:29:54 AM »
The info on that show is now a bit dated. Trying to hit the elusive 200mph. They made it sound like it still hadn't been done. It was also interesting how they said he's in the Guniess Book for something like surviving the fastest bike wreck. I'm not sure that one is true anymore either. Goes to show even the worst of records will one day fall!

But now that I watched it I too can be called a Land Speed Racing Survivor! (I feel so special!  :-D  :roll: )

For the stability of the bike, what was more remarkable to me is that the bike lost most of it's shake even while his body was dragging on the side. Surely it should have been off balance with such an uneven drag!  :-o
Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2007, 11:46:19 AM »
As far as not enough rake and trail is concerned, the rider was raked and trailed enough that he never did it again.
When the rear flex was gone with the power, the bike desperately tried to continue, but the former rider was stuck.
Don't fall with your ride unless it offers all the protection without your best efforts.
A number of riders have gotten off over 200 mph in other forms of MC competition, and unless they hit something, the protective clothing does a pretty good job.
The "All Cow" requirement continues without the benefit of shared experiences. :roll:

"Tradition , unhampered by progress."

Super Kaz

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2008, 03:16:55 PM »
That is as close to the correct name as you can expect from a "hand me down" flim clip that is designed to bring the target audience to the "edge of wetness."
The show must go on. :wink:

"THE EDGE OF WETNESS"  :-oI Like that JackD :evil:!

Offline mike mendoza

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2008, 12:58:20 AM »
if you guys look at the bike close you will notice it had very little rake or trail --danger-----  danger -------        willie buchta 
[/quotes    saw both layard came on board for next race at El Mirage  more to it than meets your eyes that bike held many many records; that was the bike to beat for some time almost to the Hiabussa,