Author Topic: Transducers to monitor lift and downforce...  (Read 8022 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Transducers to monitor lift and downforce...
« on: March 26, 2008, 06:27:19 PM »
.......... You can hook up a pressure gage to the air bag and see if you have down force or lift on the rear......Doug Odom in big ditch

Good idea!!  Are you data logging that I presume??

Sumner

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 08:11:18 PM »
Sum,  I first used the air bags before we got the data logger so I used a couple oil pressure gages in the dash. Just looked at them enough to know it was not wanting to fly. In the Vette we run a logger so we can look it over and record any changes. We put the right amount of pressure in the bags to get the ride height then have a 200# person lay on the hood and see how much the pressure goes up. It worked out to be about 1 lb. of pressure increase for every 100 lbs. of down force with our motion ratios.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 09:36:08 PM »
Sum,  I first used the air bags before we got the data logger so I used a couple oil pressure gages in the dash. Just looked at them enough to know it was not wanting to fly. In the Vette we run a logger so we can look it over and record any changes. We put the right amount of pressure in the bags to get the ride height then have a 200# person lay on the hood and see how much the pressure goes up. It worked out to be about 1 lb. of pressure increase for every 100 lbs. of down force with our motion ratios.

First sorry to interrupt this thread, but one more question, well actually a couple.  Do you have the back bags tied together on one line so that you are reading the pressure on the two of them??  The front??  Have you found a source for inexpensive pressure transducers to use with 5 volts??  What pressure range are they??

Thanks,

Sum

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 10:17:34 PM »
Sum, What type of sensors are you looking for, aero or?  I take it you meant to say you are looking for 0-5 volt output. Depending on what you need I may have some.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 11:53:52 PM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 11:46:57 PM »
Sum, Yes the back bags are on one line and the front bags are on one line. That way if something happens to the pressure it will be even across the axle. We run 35 to 50 PSI in the bags. Most sensors that are made for oil pressure will work just fine. As for inexpensive, I have never found that word and race car go together but they are not really pricy.   

Doug Odom in big ditch 
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 11:58:37 PM »
Have you found a source for inexpensive pressure transducers to use with 5 volts??  What pressure range are they??
Thanks,
Sum

Sum, we're using ast transducers(well, all except one of the 3,000psi units I have on my hydraulic load cell). Anyways, they have them from 25psi max up to 10,000psi max (in quite a few incremental ranges) that you can order with 12v(10-20v) inputs and 5v(0-5v or 0-6v) outputs(or you can order them with a low mv outputs, etc), and you can get different npt feeds as well. I think I pay about $100 bucks each for them. I got a British unit for my dyno a few years back but had to regulate down the supply voltage from 12v to 5v and had to adapt their threads to an npt... and well, to save about $40 or so it just wasn't even close to worth it.

If you're interested message me or call me at the shop and I'll put you in touch with where I get mine and the website for them, etc.(that info's on my computer at the shop).
They latest one I got (to log a small carb engined fuel pump) even come with the config setup for Innovate's (Logworks) software... pretty sweet as that's what I run my dyno on.
Todd

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 09:20:05 AM »
Bill Jones who lives in SLC area and does fair amount of work for salt racers has some "inexpensive" (I don't know actual $) 0-5 volt pressure sensors in variety of types.  Dont know his email off hand but if you go over to www.speedtalk.com and look him up he is on there regularly and can see what he has.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 10:30:33 AM »
Bill Jones is also on this site.  He goes by Fwillyi.  http://www.ryanbrownracing.com/Bill_Jones_Photo_Gallery.html
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline fwillyj

Re: Transducers to monitor lift and downforce...
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 11:57:13 AM »
-I have a variety of zero to 5volt sensors----most are $25 and some are up to about $60.

-examples are: zero to 77# pressure, 15"hg vacuum to 15 psi which is 1 bar boost, 20"HG vacuum (I also have the wiring pigtails for these)

-and some other odd higher pressure pieces.

-If anybody is interested I have a page written up about what I have----that I can forward if you want to email me at fwillyj@comcast.net   but make sure you get my attention in the subject line.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 04:56:56 PM »
If you want temperature, pressure, strain, force, flow, level or you name it:
http://www.omega.com/
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Ratliff

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 01:49:45 PM »