Author Topic: Use of reinforced bulkheads in frame construction  (Read 9153 times)

Ratliff

Use of reinforced bulkheads in frame construction
« on: July 13, 2008, 08:44:01 PM »

An often overlooked construction technique in land speed racing is use of reinforced bulkheads for mounting suspension and drivetrain components instead of attaching them directly to the frame, thus allowing the use of lighter weight tubing.

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Use of reinforced bulkheads in frame construction
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 09:55:12 PM »
It's an old technique and well known by most car builders but isn't necessary in lsr where weight generally is an asset rather than the liability it is in most forms of racing.

Pete

Offline John Burk

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 01:57:11 AM »
 "in lsr where weight generally is an asset rather than the liability it is in most forms of racing."

Could Rick Yacoucci have set the G/BGS record at 352 if Neb II weighed 3000 lbs .

John Burk

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 02:00:38 AM »
"in lsr where weight generally is an asset rather than the liability it is in most forms of racing."

Could Rick Yacoucci have set the G/BGS record at 352 if Neb II weighed 3000 lbs .

John Burk

Yes he could...if he had more HP and a longer track...and if pigs could fly.. :mrgreen:

J

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 02:08:52 AM »

I think properly placed weight  is your friend, but weight in general is not.  On my roadster build I weighed every component to find the best place for the placement of the parts.  The chassis was built taking the placement of parts into consideration.

Jack Costella always says "build the car light as possible and then and the weight where it needs to be".
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 02:30:28 AM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 11:58:39 PM »
Frank,
In  your post with the two pictures the top one with the champ rear end with the fabricated side tubes and the tranny integrated onto the front, what car is that from?? That is VERY interesting. Was it a Bonneville car??

Thanks,
Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Ratliff

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 12:21:53 AM »
Frank,
In  your post with the two pictures the top one with the champ rear end with the fabricated side tubes and the tranny integrated onto the front, what car is that from?? That is VERY interesting. Was it a Bonneville car??

Thanks,
Rex

That was Breedlove's 1968 piston engine streamliner built under American Motors sponsorship.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 12:33:56 AM by Ratliff »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 12:50:45 AM »
I jumped in when I probably shouldn't have with my initial answer. It was rather hasty. I sometimes get annoyed with these out of the blue postings with no reference or context.

I don't disagree with any of the subsequent postings and have never put a suspension pick-up in anything I've designed and built outside the area of some form of brace or bulkhead. I also agree with building as light as possible and then placing ballast where it's of the greatest advantage. My background is in oval and road racing where that is religion. The only thing I will say with lsr is that where it is practical I would probably use a slightly heavier wall tubing in the chassis structure to ensure there isn't any breakage. If we are talking a very small displacement class or maybe one of the mile type events such as Maxton where acceleration is extremely important, then lighter is probably better to achieve the desired results (a record).

Pete
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 12:19:28 PM by Peter Jack »

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 12:54:26 AM »
Frank,
I just have to ask!what ever happen to this car? Certainly is very well designed and it looks like it should have had good potential. Is it setting somewhere waiting to be restored?

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Ratliff

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 09:15:15 AM »
Frank,
I just have to ask!what ever happen to this car? Certainly is very well designed and it looks like it should have had good potential. Is it setting somewhere waiting to be restored?

Rex

http://www.creative-interiors.com/1969SOA.htm

www.3wheelers.com

In 1972 Breedlove converted the car into a rocket dragster. Apparently, it's now in a museum.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 12:11:48 PM »
Sure wish I could read that artsy-fartsy text.  Some people's ideas of graphic design leave a lot to be desired.  More is not always better!  Just getting old, I guess.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Ratliff

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 12:45:05 PM »
Sure wish I could read that artsy-fartsy text.  Some people's ideas of graphic design leave a lot to be desired.  More is not always better!  Just getting old, I guess.

I hate that too.

The best way to read the text is highlight the text, copy it, then paste it into a blank e-mail or Word document.

dwarner

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 06:57:36 PM »
Stan has a new BFFE.

DW