Author Topic: IFS for 1954 Chevy Two Door Coupe For Bonneville 2009  (Read 13250 times)

Offline Plainview

• New folks
IFS for 1954 Chevy Two Door Coupe For Bonneville 2009
« on: March 26, 2008, 03:30:14 PM »
We just started a Classic Gar Coupe project  for Bonneville 2009.  We are going to use a Mustang II IFS that has been re-enforced and strengthened enough, we hope for the rigors of Bonneville.  Are we going down the right path?  Or should we be looking at replacing the front end with a stronger Camaro front clip(more expensive and time consuming).  The Mustang II IFS we will be using, will be done by a noted West Coast Bonneville racer shop. The plan is to use a big block GM motor ( 672 c.c.) unblown.  Any suggestions on would be recommended for a rear-end set up?  We currently have a 9-bolt Ford rear-end with a Strange center housing.  The rear-end is a leaf spring arrangement, and we are thinking of just using a 4 link set up. Good idea or bad?

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: IFS for 1954 Chevy Two Door Coupe For Bonneville 2009
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 04:12:24 PM »
We just started a Classic Gar Coupe project  for Bonneville 2009.  We are going to use a Mustang II IFS that has been re-enforced and strengthened enough, we hope for the rigors of Bonneville.  Are we going down the right path?  Or should we be looking at replacing the front end with a stronger Camaro front clip(more expensive and time consuming).  The Mustang II IFS we will be using, will be done by a noted West Coast Bonneville racer shop. The plan is to use a big block GM motor ( 672 c.c.) unblown.  Any suggestions on would be recommended for a rear-end set up?  We currently have a 9-bolt Ford rear-end with a Strange center housing.  The rear-end is a leaf spring arrangement, and we are thinking of just using a 4 link set up. Good idea or bad?

Welcome to LSR and I don't see anything wrong with your plans.  What rpm with the motor?? We run a 2.47 gear in Hooley's Stude, but this last year went to a G-Force transmission where we can setup one gear as an overdrive and currently do that with a 7% overdrive in what was 3rd, but is now 4th.  What kind of speeds would be your goal??  Hooley runs a Mustang type front suspension that he built and it has worked fine.  Put limit stops on it.  You might be able to get some ideas here:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/hooley/hooley-index.html

There are some construction pictures there.

Good luck,

Sum

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 04:35:06 PM »
There is nothing wrong with leaf springs on the rear. On my MS I use leafs to hold the car up and keep the rear axle in place. Then I use air bags to get up to ride hight. Air bags smooth the ride a bunch. You can hook up a pressure gage to the air bag and see if you have down force or lift on the rear. I use air bags on the front for the same reason but with a straight axle.
Doug Odom in big ditch
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline Plainview

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 04:42:55 PM »
Just a brief introduction. My partner (38 yrs old) and I (62 yrs old) are both former drag racers.  We both have had the bug about Bonneville for as long as we can both remember. Bonneville is a totally different game. According to the rule book the current record for AA+ Classic Gas Coupe is 188 mph by Utah Valley State.  It must be a class project ( better then metal and wood shop in H.S.). Our goal is 200 mph and our primary goal in 2009 will be just a shakedown of the car.  We haven't plugged all the variables into a formula yet to determine whether that speed is attainable.  Most of the records below AA Classic Gas Coupe are already at or over 200 mph.  Does anyone know what make and model car the current record holder is using?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 05:25:03 PM »
Welcome aboard, sounds like a fun project. What area do you live in, it helps to know as we know racers all over the country and there could be someone close to you that can answer some of your questions. :?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 06:24:54 PM »
The Utah Valley State car, #396, was a 69 El Camino with a 572" Chevy motor according to the 2007 SpeedWeek program.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 06:33:40 PM »
Welcome to the group, you'll have a blast racing at the salt. Sounds like you have everything planned right and in order. One thing to keep in mind is IF you're thinking of the Bonneville 200 mph club at some point that the minimum speed for entry into that club is 235 mph. You can set records and have a good time but if the 2 club is in the back of your mind that's the boggey...... not trying to disapoint just letting you know.

Good Luck & have fun! 
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Plainview

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 07:00:32 PM »
Yes, we understand the 200 mph club is a bit different then setting records.  We live in both the Austin Texas and Dallas Texas areas' (in response to a previous post).  I am quite interested in the topic of air pressure coil suspensions for the front and rear.  The Bonneville rule book made no mention of them.  Can I assume they are used safely on cars' at Bonneville?

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 10:56:50 AM »
There is nothing wrong with leaf springs on the rear. On my MS I use leafs to hold the car up and keep the rear axle in place. Then I use air bags to get up to ride hight. Air bags smooth the ride a bunch. You can hook up a pressure gage to the air bag and see if you have down force or lift on the rear. I use air bags on the front for the same reason but with a straight axle.
Doug Odom in big ditch

I split all the transducer part of this thread off and moved it to........

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,3748.0.html

........... "Transducers to monitor lift and downforce" in this part of the tech section,

Sum

Ratliff

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 09:55:27 AM »
Doug Odom in big ditch

There is probably more than one way with air bags where the pressure could be used as feedback for some form of active suspension that adjusts ride height and attitude on the fly. For example, perhaps pressure from the air bag could be fed into a bellows that in turn opens or closes a valve.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 09:59:13 AM by Ratliff »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 10:05:25 AM »
Semi-trucks and trailers have been using this type of system for years.  Some even have a scale built into the trailer/tractor to allow easy reading of the weight of the load.  Oughta be pretty easy to find in the trucking literature.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 11:55:09 AM »
Plain.. Good luck with your project. If you are looking to be competitive for a class recod make sure you meet the rules. In gas coupe the frame must remain the same year as the vehicle. It has meant the frame rails for all the years I have been in the organization. That would mean no welded on front clips like a Camaro which is about 1/3 of the frame. Many are and have used late model style IFS and coil rear suspensions. Notching a frame rail at the rear to get it lower is also "not stock".

As one who has drive an earlier vehicle over 150 there is a big vacuum spot behind the rear window where it meets the trunk line. A 54 Chevy is pretty harsh there and lift happens where the body line doesn't flow like a 37 but is harsh like a 39 up. There are some relief devices like the ones used with a Studbaker and the rear spoilers to help them stay on the ground...Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline will6er

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 07:40:59 PM »
J.D.

You mention "vacuum relief devices" and spoilers.
What did you have in mind? and Would they be legal in Gas Coupe class?

Will6er

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 08:57:20 PM »
In the past prior to all the stuff guys hang on the back of their Studes they ALL had to add "air ducts" because they spun at 185 without them. They were all done differently. Typically  a 30 to 36" x 2 to 3" rectanglular duct went between the area behind the rear window at sightly forward angle through the floor board. This let air out from under the car and up through tha duct breaking up the vacuum area. I've seen multiple 2" round tubes and 2 shorter rectangles. The definition is on page 37. Today a lot of guys add a lot of weight also.

You will notice that in the Gas Coupe section that ther are not mentioned in the "not pemitted" paragraph on page 66.

As for spoilers you need to contact the Coupe and Sedan committee chairman to see if what is described on page 42/43 is allowed. They were not in vintage where I was competing...Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 10:23:19 PM »
No add on spoilers in gas coupe unless it came stock with one. As far as the ducts in the body, that would be considered a body mod which is also not allowed. At least that is the way I take the gas coupe rules. May be Dan can elaborate.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean