Author Topic: EFI TURBO 302 GMC  (Read 21644 times)

Offline panic

• My tech papers
Re: EFI TURBO 302 GMC
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 12:05:47 PM »
I always find these exchanges so useful.

My comment: theoretical, mathematical, lernt from books

Your rebuttal: "real life"

Let's just agree that whatever I say will be wrong?
Much better, and wastes less of my time.

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 01:38:45 PM »
I always find these exchanges so useful.

My comment: theoretical, mathematical, lernt from books

Your rebuttal: "real life"

Let's just agree that whatever I say will be wrong?
Much better, and wastes less of my time.

relax, panic.  no need to get bent because someone doesn't share your opinion on proper injector setup.  And it is OPINION unless either of you have built the exact same motor before, right?

Honestly, this (as usual) engine will make more than enough power for GH's goals even before we get into the .1% improvements in the subtle details.  But I do find both you and Dave's input very interesting!

-scott

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 08:52:07 PM »
Panic in all due repect again.. I can not let this dog lie about and do nothing..
Physics is a very demanding place and has little room for opinion that is not based on facts.
If I personally offended you or you have that impression it is not my intent.
I have no need want or inclination to offend you or anyone else.
If you have some physics to support your viewpoint I would love to hear of them and learn if you want the physics behind mine I am more that glad to into it in great detail. This is a forum to learn and not throw stones in all directions if you are not universally believed more of a show me place. So I am asking for the show me with the liquid fuel analogy to start though please do not start with 'someone said' and call it a fact...
Dave

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 11:36:28 PM »
Having observed Mr Dahlgren's posts- and knowing of him only by them I'll venture that he has no malice towards anyone and wishes only to INFORM, which he does very intelligently from yrs truly's viewpoint.

Engine theory is full of old wives tales at the level that we participants are on and a solid backgroung starting with Ricardo and going thru the two MIT professorial texts on to the latest F1 tech would probably bore most of us to death.

A lot of fit and try, I must admit, worked and the physics were figured out after the fact. Still.

Well, back to the garage, getting ready to install the Fish carburetor on the roadster.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline SteveD

• New folks
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 05:30:10 PM »
Geek and dave you both have great points.  I have tried different locations for injectors in a Carbed intake we converted to EFI.  In theory and reality we have tried everything from smooth port, roughed up port and injector location.  The further away the injector is from the head the more injector delay had to be dialed in.  Didn't make an appreciable difference in how far the injector was away from the head for making horsepower.  If we didn't need individual cylinder control we would have put a carb on it!  With varying runner runner lengths and different primary lengths and cylinders heads not cooling each cylinder the same, Individual cylinder control stops knocking sound.  I have no diesel expertice but direct injection is supposedly where it's at.  Sorry I got off subject.
SteveD
Houston       

Offline GH

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 10:09:42 AM »
Mike C. and myself have just completed installing MegaSquirt on the green Buick #1950. We are using it for datalogging purposes only, it will not control any engine functions just yet, maybe next winter we will turbo charge & efi it. We can datalog incoming air temps both before the 4-71 blower and after the blower. The MegaSquirt and related items came from DIYAutoTune.com, thanks Jerry. We also reworked the headers, they now exit through the fender with 3-1/2" collectors and electric cut-outs, sounds different than it did before, has a much deeper sound. We also changed the blower drive from a polyrib belt to a 2" Gilmer belt and increased the drive ratio to 25%, Mike is hoping for 150 MPH this year.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 11:47:10 AM »
Mike C. and myself have just completed installing MegaSquirt on the green Buick #1950. We are using it for datalogging purposes only, it will not control any engine functions just yet, maybe next winter we will turbo charge & efi it. We can datalog incoming air temps both before the 4-71 blower and after the blower. The MegaSquirt and related items came from DIYAutoTune.com, thanks Jerry. We also reworked the headers, they now exit through the fender with 3-1/2" collectors and electric cut-outs, sounds different than it did before, has a much deeper sound. We also changed the blower drive from a polyrib belt to a 2" Gilmer belt and increased the drive ratio to 25%, Mike is hoping for 150 MPH this year.

I guess after the GH "plugged in" photos I posted I ought to be a nice guy and post some of these photos also,  Sum

The first is the motor and you can see where the exhaust/headers go over to the driver side front fender.  The second is the cut-outs on the fender looking at them from the outside of the car.....

Offline GH

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 10:41:19 AM »
Mike had a problem with one of the electric cut-outs. It was made out of aluminum and it came apart. He is not going to use them anymore.

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2008, 04:48:03 PM »
Mike had a problem with one of the electric cut-outs. It was made out of aluminum and it came apart. He is not going to use them anymore.

I think I warned you about our own luck with those things.  Never can get them to last or work right.

McRat

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2008, 05:31:07 PM »
Trying to remember the brand...

I've got a few of the aluminum electric cutouts, and they worked poorly and fell apart.  They close all by themselves sometimes, and the bodies fall apart.  They look great though.

Offline GH

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2008, 10:02:25 AM »
McRat, that's exactly what happened to this one. I don't know the brand, Mike C. purchased them.

Offline collis

• New folks
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2008, 11:26:13 AM »
They were DMH electric cutouts.
DMH said he hadn't had that issue except once before and was quick to say he'd replace it, but it hasn't arrived yet.
I'd be reluctant to use it in a critical location/situation again
Mike
ps Under low stress operational conditions they did look and work cool on the street

Offline jl222

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2008, 05:42:27 PM »
Gary
 Why don't you mount the blower on the other side and put an intercooler where the blower is now?
Or you could water inject the hell out of it.What kind of boost and temps are you getting?

Good luck JL222 :-)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2008, 04:44:31 PM »
whats up with this Project? :?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline GH

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 01:09:24 PM »
Sparky, this engine (GMC) will go into the next car after I sell the one I have now.