Author Topic: Tires and view  (Read 4237 times)

Offline Superfast Matt McCoy

• New folks
Tires and view
« on: March 20, 2008, 10:01:50 PM »
Howdy all!

I am new to this whole land speed thing, but it has been on my list of stuff to do for a while so now I'm starting.  I've been designing race cars for a few years (Formula SAE, NASCAR Cup, etc...) and I know the technical inspection is much more helpful than the rulebook in a lot of ways, so i was hoping I could get some input from some experienced people.

I am trying to design my motorcycle (streamliner 650cc fuel) and I need a couple big questions answered specifically before I can continue with the design.

1: do the tires have to be officially rated at the speed of the record I'm trying to break, or can i use something like a Goodyear front runner or airplane tire that doesn't have a speed rating?  (assuming I have reason to believe that it will be safe at speed)

2. regarding the 120 degrees of horizontal vision, does that have to be continuous or can there be a tire in the way.  it looks like on some of the streamlines that the front tire bulge may interfere with the drivers view of the horizon.

Thank you for your help.  I'm sure you will see much more of me on here and I hope I can contribute back in the future.

John Romero

Re: Tires and view
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 12:10:54 AM »
I'm not sure how BUB regulates these things so I will be interested in the answer as well.

Actually, I didn't realize this was in the BUB section till I had already written out and submitted a detailed SCTA based answer. Which doesnt apply to your situation at all. So I replaced it with this.  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 12:16:53 AM by John Romero »

Offline Superfast Matt McCoy

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 03:32:47 AM »
Since you mentioned it, I would like to know how the SCTA feels about this as well...

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 05:54:16 PM »
I would suggest that for BUB rules clarification you go to the BUB website and email Delvene. As I mentioned in the "FIM Type" thread she will get back to you and email is the best for her.

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 06:20:41 PM »
Dennis is no stranger to a tire(or the body) splitting the horizon, or where his roots were as far as I got talking to him.

Safety has changed for safety's sake since then, but I'd be suprised if it's a "continuous" rule.
I'll bet Rocky can fill you in if he sees this, or if Jack would come home he might have a view  :-D
Please post back Matt, I'd be interested in the findings as well as seeing your project when it becomes more physical.
Todd